List Mgmt. Hawkins to shun free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok - we will see what happens

Of course its all ok - for Scott Selwood and Bartel - to fly to Adelaide - to try to publicly lure Boak to Geelong - with the lure of premiership success - and the same now with Dangerfield - however if the reverse happens - you dont like it

If Geelong slip down the ladder - and the flag window looks shut - there will be plenty of bids for Hawkins - and if one of Hawkins main objectives is to play in more premierships ( not just money ) - then i think there is some chance he will leave - if that wasnt the case - he would re sign now

Firstly, Joel is not Scott.

Now yes, I understand what you are trying to say, however, large contracts are not easy to set up and sign. There is a lot of thought and effort needed to consider future player payments and the salary cap.

Secondly, to work on something for that free agent. It's obvious they are freeing up salary cap space, so they are most likely squeezing Tom's contact into the space.

Relax though, he's said it will be done, so leave it at that.

Hmmmm.....

OK. But how did you feel when we got Ottens back in the day?

I was rapt to get Ottens( Richmond did cut his money substantially though)- he wanted team success - thats why he nominated Geelong and The Swans as the 2 clubs he wanted to go to

And i think it will be similar with Dangerfield and Hawkins - Dangerfield said in the middle of last year - he wants team success - thus if the Crows have a good year this season - and finish say 3rd or 4th - i think he is a certainty to stay with the Crows - however if they have another dissappointing year - and miss the 8 - i think he will probably leave

The point i was making about Hawkins is - if Geelong were say the reigning premiers - or finished 2nd - and still had alot of players around his age 26 ( in their prime ) then Hawkins would be signed already - 3 years at about 650k

Obviously i want him to stay atGeelong - but i think hes going to wait - and see how Geelong performs this year - if ever Geelong are going to slide - then this is the year ( have alook at the draw ) - and if that does happen - and he values premierships - then whos got an exciting list - who needs a key forward - and who has got a Geelong connection ( Hinkley ) Port Adelaide

I was rapt to get Ottens( Richmond did cut his money substantially though)- he wanted team success - thats why he nominated Geelong and The Swans as the 2 clubs he wanted to go to

And i think it will be similar with Dangerfield and Hawkins - Dangerfield said in the middle of last year - he wants team success - thus if the Crows have a good year this season - and finish say 3rd or 4th - i think he is a certainty to stay with the Crows - however if they have another dissappointing year - and miss the 8 - i think he will probably leave

The point i was making about Hawkins is - if Geelong were say the reigning premiers - or finished 2nd - and still had alot of players around his age 26 ( in their prime ) then Hawkins would be signed already - 3 years at about 650k

Obviously i want him to stay atGeelong - but i think hes going to wait - and see how Geelong performs this year - if ever Geelong are going to slide - then this is the year ( have alook at the draw ) - and if that does happen - and he values premierships - then whos got an exciting list - who needs a key forward - and who has got a Geelong connection ( Hinkley ) Port Adelaide

"We'll work that out over the next couple of months but at the moment I'm firmly entrenched in pre-season and doing what I can to prepare myself for the season, but that (the contract) is going to get done. I'm happy with how it's going," Hawkins told AFL.com.au.

I think you are well off the mark here mate, either that or Tom is a liar... You don't see anything as concrete as that from a player who is contemplating a move (see ablett, franklin, scully etc.)

"We'll work that out over the next couple of months but at the moment I'm firmly entrenched in pre-season and doing what I can to prepare myself for the season, but that (the contract) is going to get done. I'm happy with how it's going," Hawkins told AFL.com.au.

I think you are well off the mark here mate, either that or Tom is a liar... You don't see anything as concrete as that from a player who is contemplating a move (see ablett, franklin, scully etc.)
All I'm prepared to say right now is thank f--k we are not dealing with Pickering.

Last edited:
All I'm prepared to say right now is thank f--k we are not dealing with Pickering.
I'm starting to wonder whether it's Pickering or whether it's the type of player that wants to do business with Pickering, that's the problem... ;)

A chicken or egg situation, perhaps?

Thank goodness Tomahawk had the good sense not to get involved with Pickering!

I'm waiting for you to exhort us to cheer just as loudly for opposition goals as we do for the Cat's goals at gametime. You know, to be even handed and fair, and all that.

Well mate - you once accused me of being a Hawthorn supporter

You never contribute anything

Actually you ought to change your avatar - from Reg Hickey Stand - to " Crayfish " - simply because youve got meat in your tail - and shiit in your head
And this is why I can't wait for the footy to start. So much testiness on this board atm with no actual football to talk about....

Not having a dig at either of you, it's just the silly season....

"We'll work that out over the next couple of months but at the moment I'm firmly entrenched in pre-season and doing what I can to prepare myself for the season, but that (the contract) is going to get done. I'm happy with how it's going," Hawkins told AFL.com.au.[/B]

What else would you expect him to say?

When it's announced that he's signed, then I'll believe it.

Port Adelaide needs a key forward? Schulz, Ryder and Westhoff doesn't seem too bad a set-up for the next three years or so, from where I'm sitting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well for starters he would not be commital in saying the contract will get done if he is thinking like the ablett, franklin and scullys of this world. Something along the lines of I love playing for this club, talks are on hold as im concentrating on the season would be then what id expect if he was weighing up a move. You obviously think his word means jack

Well for starters he would not be commital in saying the contract will get done if he is thinking like the ablett, franklin and scullys of this world. Something along the lines of I love playing for this club, talks are on hold as im concentrating on the season would be then what id expect if he was weighing up a move. You obviously think his word means jack

I obviously don't think there's anything in what you've posted that I wouldn't expect him to be saying.

If he had said, 'Mate, I'm not going anywhere, I'm a Cat for life, there's just a detail or two that we're nutting out' then I would say you're right.

I obviously don't think there's anything in what you've posted that I wouldn't expect him to be saying.

If he had said, 'Mate, I'm not going anywhere, I'm a Cat for life, there's just a detail or two that we're nutting out' then I would say you're right.
I thought that was pretty much what he'd said.. :confused:
Maybe I'm reading more into his comments than what he actually meant:
(As quoted above by TEDDY24INC )

As far as words go, what we have heard is about as good as it's going to get. Love it here, want to stay here, don't want to go anywhere else, it's being worked on and it will get done.

Reality is that until the details at sorted and the ink dries, it's all speculation.

5 years ago, the talk was a safe as houses as the landscape of the game supported it. Now, contracts are barely worth the paper they are written on as players undercontract look for trades. So whilst encouraging, words are these days hollow. Again, nothing against TH and I personally believe he means what he says.. But the landscape of the game has changed as different rules apply now..and it's not necessarily better IMO.

Go Catters

From Selwood:

A new deal for key forward Tom Hawkins, who is out of contact at season’s end, is now inevitable.

“He loves this place, he’s played some great footy down here, he’s been through some hard times too, but he’s just a Geelong person through and through,” Selwood said.

“We look forward to it getting done, whenever that is. There’s no pressure on him.

“He’ll work through that with (football manager) Steve Hocking, the coach and whoever else is involved and I think it will bring a smile to most Geelong people’s face.”

I thought that was pretty much what he'd said.. :confused:
Maybe I'm reading more into his comments than what he actually meant:
(As quoted above by TEDDY24INC )

I'm sure we all see the merit in waiting until the signature is on the contract, but I'd be surprised if anyone has been as adamant as Hawkins appears to be here and then gone back on it. Ablett never gave as clear an indication as that that he'd stay. Nor did Franklin. Or Goddard.

Saying anything beyond what Hawkins has said would simply be a dumb move for the player, because he would essentially be announcing 'The club can over me any old rubbish contract and since I've just publicly said that I'll stay, if I go against that, I'll be the bad guy.'

If I was in Hawkins' shoes and I wasn't ready to sign imminently, I'm not sure that I'd even be as forthcoming as he's been here.

I'm sure we all see the merit in waiting until the signature is on the contract, but I'd be surprised if anyone has been as adamant as Hawkins appears to be here and then gone back on it. Ablett never gave as clear an indication as that that he'd stay. Nor did Franklin. Or Goddard.

Saying anything beyond what Hawkins has said would simply be a dumb move for the player, because he would essentially be announcing 'The club can over me any old rubbish contract and since I've just publicly said that I'll stay, if I go against that, I'll be the bad guy.'

If I was in Hawkins' shoes and I wasn't ready to sign imminently, I'm not sure that I'd even be as forthcoming as he's been here.
Maybe he's got a verbal contract....?
*ducks*

Reality is that until the details at sorted and the ink dries, it's all speculation.
And there alot of details, for example a five year deal will take him well into next broadcasting rights. If the Players Association gets its way and gets a bigger slice of the cake, then Hawkins may, comparatively speaking, be fairly poorly paid in three or four years time if he signs on today's money. The contract should contain certain clauses that will deal with that issue, and that takes time.

Suuuuuuuuuper

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper Tom

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper

Suuuuuuuuuper Tom

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper Tom

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper Tommy Hawkins!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back