Hawks playing Pies with two fewer players

The two teams approached the game a bit differently - we had the new recruits and kids pressing their claims, had the extra players and the squad in general is presumably a bit further along in the preseason, given our season ended earlier last year - and both probably got out of it what they were after.

Wouldn't being using it as a predictor of H&A fortunes of either side.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Richmond played 1 down against the Bulldogs...

Probably figured that 26 is just too many to ensure everyone gets a decent run.
It's exactly how Clarkson explained it before the game.

That said the Hawks lost a guy very early, so I'm not sure why they didn't have someone suited up as the sub just for the sake of it. But maybe with injuries and rested players that's all they had left. Griffiths pulled out for the tigers due to illness, considering you had most of your best 10 out rested I guess you probably were all out of players as well.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
We have owned Hawthorn for 100 years with a Head to Head record of 96-63.
Perhaps it was us who should have had two less players.

Actually, you owned Hawthorn for their first 30 years in the comp, definitely not 100, as we've only been in the league for 90 years.

Your 96-63 record equates to a 33 advantage overall....Given you beat us 29 times from our inception in 1925 prior to our first win against you in 1942, followed by another 19 wins from 1944-1954 inclusive....Then that means you had a 50-2 record against us at the beginning of 1955!....A differential of 48. Remembering that you had a 29 year head start on us in the comp.

So, since 1955 it's actually 61-46 the Hawks way.....That's 60 years of Hawk dominance!....Fair to say that from the half-way mark of the history of VFL/AFL footy, we have had the Wood on the Woods!....In fact, the closer you count from the 80's on wards, it becomes rather embarrassing reading for the Pies!

It's exactly how Clarkson explained it before the game.

That said the Hawks lost a guy very early, so I'm not sure why they didn't have someone suited up as the sub just for the sake of it. But maybe with injuries and rested players that's all they had left. Griffiths pulled out for the tigers due to illness, considering you had most of your best 10 out rested I guess you probably were all out of players as well.

Griffiths was never named...
We named a usual sized squad and 'just' played 4 emergencies rather than 3.

I agree, having another guy suit up would have been prudent though.

Tarzans grip

Debutant
Mar 19, 2014
Nylex clock
AFL Club
Richmond
Last night Hawthorn played 24 players against the Pies who had the full 26.

As part of equalisation, they should do this in the season proper.

E.g. As Premiers, we could have three on the bench to play other top 8 sides.
Two v middles sides and one v bottom 4.
(and maybe just a sub v Carlton).

Looks like an attempt to ruffle the feathers of blues supporters.

Last edited:

walhawk

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2007
Box Hill
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill, Storm
You can't have it both ways guys.
Obviously both clubs' priority is to prepare for the season. By playing two less players Hawthorn was officially not trying to win.
The only reason the AFL sanctions these practice matches it to allow betting.
My point is you should not be able to be able to be on any sport where the one or both teams are not trying to win. It leaves things open to match fixing.
As the OP, let me also say first I bet on Collingwood @ $2.80.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood and Box Hill both had good hitouts. Thats about the only thing we have learned so far. Both coaches have a perfect right to prepare for the season proper whichever way they see fit. Hawthorn played a month longer than Collingwood in 2014 so have a perfect right to a slower buildup this season.

Anybody stupid enough to do their dough betting on games like this deserves to lose their money.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
The amount of Hawks defending the result makes me think there is an underlying insecurity. I've said before, I don't think the Hawks will have the hunger after being "up" for 4 straight years. Was the result our first evidence of a lack of hunger and passion?

I think you've jumped to a terrible conclusion.

Hawk supporters are no doubt a bit disappointed we didn't see better individual performances from Hartung, Woodward and Litherland. They are upbeat about Anderson and Langford though, happy with McEvoy and glad Brand (sadly) was our only injury. I think with a smaller and younger team, most supporters are dismissive of the result and looking forward to our next two games when we expect to see returns of Hodge, Burgoyne, Lewis, Hale, Rioli, Lake, Gibson, Birchall, Suckling, O'Rourke, Puopolo, Hill, Smith...

Well done on the Pies for winning. Nothing that happened in the game provides any insight into the hunger of the senior team in the season proper.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
We have owned Hawthorn for 100 years with a Head to Head record of 96-63.
Perhaps it was us who should have had two less players.
Wow it's truly grasping at straws to draw upon games played almost a century ago to try to big note your team. The last 7 straight, watching us win flag after flag and 2 flags in the same amount of time that we've taken to win 12 must really hurt.

Plenty of easy money to be made betting on these games.

Just make sure you're quick after teams are named to identify which team is more under strength and then bet accordingly before the odds fix themselves up.

And last quarter bets on teams with more experience/older players tend to be quite good as the kids don't tend to run the games out as well in the heat.

Game showed to me that Jesse White still is the benchmark for free agent signings. Absolute dynamite. Others teams be wary.

Well done to Collingwood on such a shrewd scouting of an untapped superstar.
I totally agree. They'll dominate pre season comps for years to come because of him.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Gosh, only 6 on the bench not 8 ?
Bloody recalcitrants....making a mockery of the rules.

Just shows its never too early for hawthorn fans to practice their excuse mongering in here.

Back