Hawks Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

Ended up being the worst trade ever for you guys

Great played, Suffered a pretty bad ankle injury which ruined his year, lost the fitness base and couldn't gain it back due to his horrible knee's, Lost about 9 kilos in an attempt to put less strain on the knee but couldn't compete at under 80 kilos.
The era formally known as Matthew Knights.

We pretty much paid him 1 million to kick a winner against Carlton in one match.

Have a feeling though that we got Carlisle with the pick Port gave us for Nash so not much complaining there.

That trade wasn't all bad, you got rid of Jay Nash don't forget.
Addition by subtraction hahahaha. Love it. Gotta be hard to be an Essendon fan posting on forums at present doesn't it? Not a lot to cheer about, or stand behind, or be proud of

The era formally known as Matthew Knights.

We pretty much paid him 1 million to kick a winner against Carlton in one match.

Have a feeling though that we got Carlisle with the pick Port gave us for Nash so not much complaining there.

I thought if he did that he would be first ballot to get into essendons hall of fame TBO.

I thought if he did that he would be first ballot to get into essendons hall of fame TBO.
He's on the shortlist for sure.

There are talks of statues, but we'll wait to see on that one.

SEN reported that Cooney for Shoenmakers is a possibility.
Sounds like BS.

I cannot see how Cooney fits in or why they would want to connect him up with Lake. Hawks forward line is overflowing and we are already stacked with aging midfielders - we need to develop kids. I simply cannot see it.

I prefer the Schoey to Freo idea myself - imagine trying to score against a backline consisting of him and Dawson when the team itself isn't a high scoring team! A big first quarter and you could almost put the cue in the rack.

Cooney for Schoenmakers isn't too bad of an idea but only if the doggies throw it pick 26 or 27.
Doggies get Schoenmakers, maybe grimley and pick 59 or 77
Hawks get cooney and pick 26 or 27

The idea of bringing in Cooney seems ridiculous to me. We just retired Brad Sewell - a well loved 200 game stalwart of our club - who had a similar 2014 to Cooney! Not only is he not what we need but it would be destabilising to reitre a favourite son and replace him with a player of similar age and form.

Last edited:
Say the Lowden-Kavanagh trade went through...

Hawks already delisted Kelly and Garlett, and retired Sewell yes?

Frawley and O'Rourke in.

So trade Grimley for not much because I daresay he would be the first unfortunate choice to be delisted so why not try and scrap a late pick, and then trade Cheney before Schoey (doubt $$ would be too different for these 2) and try to package up the Cheney/Grimley picks for earlier?

Frawley and O'Rourke in.

So trade Grimley for not much because I daresay he would be the first unfortunate choice to be delisted so why not try and scrap a late pick, and then trade Cheney before Schoey (doubt $$ would be too different for these 2) and try to package up the Cheney/Grimley picks for earlier?

The idea of bringing in Cooney seems ridiculous to me. We just retired Brad Sewell - a well loved 200 game stalwart of our club - who had a similar 2014 to Cooney! Not only is he not what we need but it would be destabilising to reitre a favourite son and replace him with a player of similar age and form.
This. 1000 times this.

I'll be livid with the club if we pick Cooney up. Cheap or not. We had a better version of Cooney in Sewell.

This. 1000 times this.

I'll be livid with the club if we pick Cooney up. Cheap or not. We had a better version of Cooney in Sewell.
Other than their age they are very different players.
Sewell was an in and under hard midfielder who is now too slow (like Daniel cross)
Cooney while also can play in and under he plays more on the outside and offers more pace and genuine threat for goal.
I'm not saying we should push for Cooney but if the price is right then why not...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trade from Essendon's POV was..
Nash, 16 and 42 for Williams, 24 and 33

That's pretty decent. Some how the media bangs on about it how Hawthorn gave up two first rounders for Burgoyne.

So we got Lowden, Grimley, Schoenmakers, Hallahan, Cheney, Simpkin on the table peoples, get us some top 30 picks and they're yours.........
where did you find out hallahan, simpkin and cheney are on the table? Just because a club is interested in a player that doesn't mean they are on the table. A player is only on the table a player requests a trade or the club they are currently at says they are willing to trade the player, draft pick etc.
Spangher is terrible, Lake is 32 and Gib 30.
Spangher may not be highly skilled but his determination and versatility makes him better than some of the more skilled players without the determination
Litherland is a flanker.
Litherland a flanker? isn't he a third defensive tall type player?

Bold bits are the questions or statements made by other people.

Last edited:
where did you find out hallahan, simpkin and cheney are on the table? Just because a club is interested in a player that doesn't mean they are on the table. A player is only on the table a player requests a trade or the club they are currently at says they are willing to trade the player, draft pick etc.

have you not heard?

Lowden and Grimley want out for more opportunity, Schoey, Hallahan are being shopped around for upgraded picks and whispers are saying Cheney is selling his house atm and is linked with going to Adelaide for more opportunity, the only 1 in the list that doesn't have much concrete about him is Simpkin........

Spangher versatile? 0 goals from his disgusting forward stints and in his awful effort as a defensive forward on Harry Taylor in Round 22, we went into half time 5 goals down.

So we got Lowden, Grimley, Schoenmakers, Hallahan, Cheney, Simpkin on the table peoples, get us some top 30 picks and they're yours.........
Spangher is terrible, Lake is 32 and Gib 30.
Spangher may not be highly skilled but his determination and versatility makes him better than some of the more skilled players without the determination
Litherland is a flanker.

Bold bits are the questions or statements made by other people.
:) Just for your future reference... there is a little 'plus' sign next to the like and reply buttons of each post. If you want to quote multiple posts just hit that plus button on each one (it will carry over if you change pages) and then when you get to the bottom of the page there is a button to allow you to post all the quotes into your reply and then you can address each one one-by-one as you have here. Except now we all know who said what your responding to and those people your responding to will be alerted to the fact you're directly responding to something they've said. Which as far as forum etiquette goes gives them the chance to a right of reply without having to stumble across your post hours or days later.

I've seen that Jared petrenko has been delisted and is a free agent. Seems like he might be a fairly low risk pick up via free agency

I've seen that Jared petrenko has been delisted and is a free agent. Seems like he might be a fairly low risk pick up via free agency
No.
Our list has amazing depth.... I have no interesting in taking a spot up with a speculative recycled pick .

All hawks want to do now is upgrade draft picks. Our list is quite deep so it's about replacing the outgoing delisted with higher potential draft picks.

Schoenmakers is the one we could least afford to leave as we might need someone to roll through the forward line if roughy goes down.

Cheney, Simpkin, Lowden, Grimley, Hallahan are all better starting 22 or have younger players overtaking them.

Being reported this morning up here in the Courier Mail ....Hallahan and Gold Coast Suns locked in tense negotiations with the Hawthorn midfielder. It is understood Hallahan is keen to accept a 3yr. deal with the Suns. He visited the Coast yesterday and met with Marcus Ashcroft, Dean Soloman and Malcolm Blight.
Hawks are asking for pick 29 from the Suns but they feel thats a little high for a player with only 6 games experience and was taken no.38 in the 2010 draft.
IMO not sure 29 or lower is better for us. Rather keep him myself but Hawks always seem willing to help a player get to his destination.
Time will tell.

Frawley and O'Rourke in.

There is absolutely NO chance they release Grimley. Firstly, he has a contract for next year. Secondly, he is a very talented athlete who is taking some time to find his feet, but if they really wanted to move him they could. No need to release him. Lowden is out of contract, so would be out the door before Grimley. I think it is likely they sign Lowden if he isn't traded.

Being reported this morning up here in the Courier Mail ....Hallahan and Gold Coast Suns locked in tense negotiations with the Hawthorn midfielder. It is understood Hallahan is keen to accept a 3yr. deal with the Suns. He visited the Coast yesterday and met with Marcus Ashcroft, Dean Soloman and Malcolm Blight.
Hawks are asking for pick 29 from the Suns but they feel thats a little high for a player with only 6 games experience and was taken no.38 in the 2010 draft.
IMO not sure 29 or lower is better for us. Rather keep him myself but Hawks always seem willing to help a player get to his destination.
Time will tell.
Thinking similarly. If they get 29, they likely make the deal. If it's less than that, probably better off hanging onto him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back