Preview Hawks v Pusscats : Changes and predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is why Shoenmakers, Suckling and Duryea are playing and guys like Litherland and Cheney arnt,

I don't disagree with you...however, Duryea holds onto the ball way too much and ends up telegraphing it...then beyond Suckers bombs, his dinky kicks also put players under pressure.

I disagree with the previous comments that Gus just bombs it in, that is garbola, have a look at his efficiency in kicking...

I don't think that there's any over confidence our way, (except for the usual suspects ..). Sportsbet has the Hawks very firm favorites, and rightly so. You have been the form team all year, you don't lose that in a week. I just expect a close encounter as usual.

Surprised if that's the case - don't think our form has been that flash and the cats have been up for a while now.
Don't think we are going to get a true reading come Saturday anyway, a win would just make me feel a little better heading into the finals

I don't disagree with you...however, Duryea holds onto the ball way too much and ends up telegraphing it...then beyond Suckers bombs, his dinky kicks also put players under pressure.

I disagree with the previous comments that Gus just bombs it in, that is garbola, have a look at his efficiency in kicking...
Yes duryea does hold it too long, we all think its great that Litherland takes the game on, runs 10 metres and then can kick it flat 55-60 metres but how often this year has that ended in us retaining possession? I think the figure is low and the opposition get the ball back or at best for us its a throw in and reset, l cant remember too many goals resulting. This is the same problem with langford when he has time, can kick it long but firstly takes too long and then it doesnt end with us retaining possession, the coaching staff must really hate this for thes guys to get dropped, imagine a close final when the pressure is on late- they will just bomb the ball to harry taylor- Geelong will then reset and run the ball through the middle on the counter and good night for us- this is what happens late in games against them every time.

Surely the thread title should be - Hawks V the umpires

Or Hawks V the most protected team in world sport

Or Hawks V the biggest bunch of sooks to have ever played sport

Or the Hawks V the umpires, MRP, Tribunal, goal umpires, afl commission, the fixture, and drug cheating handbags sooky scab pieces of s**t

Yes duryea does hold it too long, we all think its great that Litherland takes the game on, I think the figure is low and the opposition get the ball back or at best for us its a throw in and reset, l This is the same problem with langford when he has time, can kick it long but firstly takes too long and then it doesnt end with us retaining possession, the coaching staff must really hate this for thes guys to get dropped, imagine a close final when the pressure is on late- they will just bomb the ball to harry taylor- Geelong will then reset and run the ball through the middle on the counter and good night for us- this is what happens late in games against them every time.

Disposal efficiency of Litherland.
Vs Bulldogs 69.2
vs Sydney 85.2
Vs Adelaide 85.7
vs North 90.9
vs GC 84.6

vs Dureya.

vs Freo 76.5
vs Melb 80
vs Dogs 83.3
vs Adelaide 78.6
vs Kangaroos 70
vs GC 66.6

I have had reservations over Litherland from the very start because of disposal, but frankly those reservations have been thrown out the window for the simple fact he offers a point of difference in our backline, thats genuine speed (offensively and defensively) and the ability to be an 80 metre player. When Birchall goes missing, our run is starved. What worked against Sydney was that we were able to get one on ones, Frematle then beat us in the exact manner. Quick ball movement breaking the lines and space out the back for our forwards to lead back into.

Duryea is technically a better kick, but his precise kick is moot when you're currently the worst decision maker in our team.

runs 10 metres and then can kick it flat 55-60 metres but how often this year has that ended in us retaining possession? cant remember too many goals resulting.

I can remember on one occasion when Litherland gathered the ball from a kick in by Sydney near the boundary line outside the 50/wing, he gathered the ball ran around Goodes as if he was a truck, roosted the ball 40 metres and hit Roughead leading 30 metres out on the chest.

I haven't even gone into the ability of both as defenders, personally I think its paramount that you're competent with the ability to defend first and foremost. Dureya cannot keep up with the quicker forwards in the game and he is nowhere near as smart or as experienced as Guerra was with these limitations ie; positioning himself etc. Walters gave him an absolute bath, he had metres on him within in a blink of an eye, Walters up the ground became a get out opportunity for the Fremantle defenders hitting him up, also as another link up player to go with the likes of hill and co. They completely overwhelmed us with there run. Litherland has the ability to keep up with these types, he is agile and quick enough to make it a contest, he's manic with pressure when the ball hits the ground.

I just cannot see any positives with Duryea playing at the expense of Litherland.

Last edited:
Just the 4 changes for me this week with Hale on his final chance.

Suckling Obrien Duryea Schoenmakers all out
Sewell, Roughead, Litherland Spangher in

If Spangher needs to go forward to provide an extra target then he could do a great stopping job on Harry Taylor if required.

Benny Hill says hi. Good for you. :)

I see today that Johnson and possibly Bartel will not be brought back / rested. Interesting.

At the end of the day this game may only change who finishes 2nd and 3rd. Both teams are better served not getting injured or making niggles worse when September is around the corner. So it wouldn't be a huge shock if Bartel and Johnson don't play.

At the end of the day this game may only change who finishes 2nd and 3rd. Both teams are better served not getting injured or making niggles worse when September is around the corner. So it wouldn't be a huge shock if Bartel and Johnson don't play.

Agreed. As stated earlier in this thread, this game is kind of a dead rubber - we meet each other in QF either way. Unless a big upset occurs in rd 23. Seems very unlikely Johnson or Bartel play. Were it final I imagine they would be good to go. So it's probably 'player management'. That said, there may a touch more incentive for the Hawks to win this one, just in case a win against the Pies becomes essential to avoid a trip interstate in the first week of finals. But I doubt the Pies will pose a threat in the final round anyway.

EDIT: Appears now that Bartel is good to go. Johnson to miss.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson won't play and I think even though Bartel is probably okay I don't expect him to play as the game is not important.

Scott even said today that he'd be willing to rest Hawkins if they thought he needed it (Back flared up a bit last week). Don't see that happening in reality, though.

Even though these games are basically always close regardless of form leading into them I really think you'll get a hold of us this time. Definitely the least confident I've been in recent memory.

He should totally rest this game :D........ as much as i hate to admit it Hawkins seems to kick big goals against Hawthorn (no matter who his opponent is) and a key reason why we lose regularly against them

I don't think that there's any over confidence our way, (except for the usual suspects ..). Sportsbet has the Hawks very firm favorites, and rightly so. You have been the form team all year, you don't lose that in a week. I just expect a close encounter as usual.
Money to be made backing Geelong at the line then.

Also we should win this game but will probably find a way to lose by under 10 pts

Nothing Surer! And Hawkins will kick at least 6 and Harry Taylor will take at least 10 uncontested marks.

Having said that, lets not discount that if we can win the last 2 and the Tigs can do a job on $hitney last round, we finish top and play Freo or Port in the first final. I would rather that to get into a prelim.

So this week is ultra important I rekon!

Last edited:
Johnson won't play and I think even though Bartel is probably okay I don't expect him to play as the game is not important.

Scott even said today that he'd be willing to rest Hawkins if they thought he needed it (Back flared up a bit last week). Don't see that happening in reality, though.

Even though these games are basically always close regardless of form leading into them I really think you'll get a hold of us this time. Definitely the least confident I've been in recent memory.
You do know you have an extra two days rest don't you?

You do know you have an extra two days rest don't you?

Not using the 6 day break as an excuse what so ever, we had 8 days before the Fremantle game and we were flat as a tac in the 2nd half( so that didn't really help us) we have smacked many sides when we have come off a 6 day break in recent times so if we go down that path as an excuse its just a cop out.

Not using the 6 day break as an excuse what so ever, we had 8 days before the Fremantle game and we were flat as a tac in the 2nd half( so that didn't really help us) we have smacked many sides when we have come off a 6 day break in recent times so if we go down that path as an excuse its just a cop out.
Its certainly a factor at the end when a hard fought game goes down to the wire. Seen it plenty of times.... Nothing to do with a team being flat or not, thats a completely different issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back