Autopsy Hawks vs Dogs - Hodgey took it apart out there, you can take it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as we shouldn't over react to last week we shouldn't go too nutty here either. They had a couple of key outs and were down a rotation much of the day. Still nice to get the win.

How is Hodge going compared to his contemporaries from his draft (thinking Judd, Ball and Floptel primarily) Amazing footballer yet not the most athletic player.
Amazingly I think Hodge is more athletic than all of them at the moment. Bartel is Cooked, Ball obviously and there is no way Judd could do what Hodge did today anymore. Kicking goals from 60, big hits, finding space on the wings, leading at the ball forward 50, breaking out of the center from the stoppage, leaping in the packs to spoil, jumping over ruckman for hit-outs, tackling, smothering handballs, laying shepherds and creating space at stoppages.

I think we're going to have to step it up a notch next week port are breathing fire ... Any word on poppy?

I only saw the last quarter, Izzy seemed in and about on everything, but his disposal was a bit cringeworthy. Thought it was an interesting and positive game from him though.

It was a bit scrappy. Am I being a bit greedy in wanting polish in round three?
I know marathon.. not sprint... yah yah yah

Tough day at the office for our usual game plan to be executed. Blustery conditions made it more difficult to hit targets and took both teams a long time to adapt. Racked up possessions this week which I think would have been a major focus given how bad we were last week when it came to controlling possession so that's a positive that some steps have been taken to correct the issue. Hodge was huge, was in every contest and it's been good to see him playing in the middle more. Lewis once again very good, Mitchell back was good to see, didn't have it as much as some other guys but he just oozes class and also has that extra second of time that creates for us. Roughie got some real cheap goals but put that down to his work rate. Last week he lacked any run when playing in the forward line, looked a bit disinterested at times whereas this week he ran hard and got out the back of the defense and presented on double and triple leads which he failed to do at all against the Scum.

All in all a solid game against a young side who have a lot of potential going forward and suffered a few injuries pre match and during. Fingers crossed those boys dont have any serious injuries, same with our boys.

With Bont and Boyd out and Morris and Wallis gone early and Cordy just simply selected, a 70 point win was only just a par for mine.
Fun to watch at times but generally speaking only just reached my expectations.

I am still in UK and received Fox stream. Was it a C7 match???

No, it was a Foxtel game. Channel 7 are covering the Geelong v Gold Coast game.

Given there outs and injuries early was probably an expected result , thought we cruised and could have inflicted more damage if we wanted too
Dogs will be a decent side but still 2-3 years off

At times I thought we over used the ball and went with one too many handballs but really cant complain otherwise

Big step up next week will have to lift all facets of our game , I think we have set ourselves for Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Hodge's 44 possession game is his personal best in terms of disposals, breaking his previous personal best of 40 possessions against Collingwood in round 15, 2011 (a game which Hawthorn lost by 41 points). Hodge also broke his previous personal best of 25 kicks (a feat which he achieved twice) this afternoon.

Amazingly I think Hodge is more athletic than all of them at the moment. Bartel is Cooked, Ball obviously and there is no way Judd could do what Hodge did today anymore. Kicking goals from 60, big hits, finding space on the wings, leading at the ball forward 50, breaking out of the center from the stoppage, leaping in the packs to spoil, jumping over ruckman for hit-outs, tackling, smothering handballs, laying shepherds and creating space at stoppages.

Add Gary Ablett to that list because all things noted above are not committed by he, the front running goat herder.

Good game to rack up in the 'wins' column and some percentage added as well, even though in blistery conditions. Good to get some game time into WhiteX and Hartung. Hopefully Poppy is okay. Can't complain about today, now to focus on Port next week.

Jarryd Roughead's 28 possessions is his second best return in his career, behind his 29 touches for Hawthorn in round 21, 2012 against the Gold Coast Suns. His seven goals for Hawthorn is his third best return, behind his eight goals for Hawthorn in two separate matches (first against Carlton in round 6, 2009, when Fevola hit the post when kicking a goal would have won the game for Carlton at the death and his second against the Eagles in round 12, 2014 also down in Launceston). There's something about York Park that brings the best out of Roughead. Roughead's fifth goal against the Bulldogs was his 450th for Hawthorn. His seven goals puts him 13 goals behind John Peck on Hawthorn's all-time goal kicking ladder.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back