Autopsy Hawks vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

We learned nothing.

Why the hell we didn't rest players and play more of our depth is beyond me.

As it was we beat up a struggling side and still showed virtually no willingness to work hard.

All in all a waste. Plus it was freezing so I'm still disgruntled over the day.

Just came on here to make mention of this. Just watching the start of the 2nd quarter now and watching lions players CLEARLY run over the mark without penalty. Hawks should be asking for a please explain or hopefully, they are saving bringing it to attention for the first week of the finals. It has clearly been a tactic since we played Richmond to encroach the mark and opposition teams are not being penalised for it. Its gotta stop because its against the rules, there shouldnt be warnings, or chances to 'get back 1 metre' etc it should be 50 metre penalties. It has happened far to much too often lately and it taking away our time, it also seems we have about 3 seconds to dispose of the ball and we are being double penalised.

^Moderators, please send the above message to the club

Not sure if it was mentioned but we still haven't got over the slow starts.

When we lose this year, the slow start has been the major reason - we seem unable to stem the flow of opposition teams early.
Definitely. First quarters have been our worst quarter all year. These are the only games this year where our first quarter has been significantly better than our opposition:

Round 5 - 6.4 v 3.1 North Melbourne (in response to Port jumping us previous week)
Round 7 - 6.2 v 2.0 Melbourne (who suck)
Round 15 - 4.3 v 1.2 Fremantle
Round 16 - 6.1 v 0.2 Sydney
Round 17 - 5.2 v 0.2 Carlton (who really suck)
Round 20 - 7.2 v 3.2 Geelong

We won all these games by at least 6 goals.

We've had 9 games so far this season where we've trailed at quarter time. We've only come back in 4 of them. Those 4 games were the first game against Geelong (trailed by a goal) the second game against Essendon (a point), West Coast (3 goals straight) and this game against Brisbane. Geelong, Essendon and Brisbane we should have always beaten anyway so that West Coast win was the only one we can really be proud of - but even then they were missing Nic Nat and lost McGovern late.

This also reveals that we've only lost one game this year where we've led at quarter time and that was the game against GWS. Where we were missing some important players, Schoey was playing defense and frankly we just didn't respect what they were capable of.

Does go to show the importance of getting off to a good start to some degree. Hate the idea of knowing we're likely going to lose if we trail at quarter time. Not because the margin isn't within reach but because it tends to mean the lethargic version of the Hawks has rocked up.

While the quality of the opposition wasn't a good barometer, it was good to see the Chief, Birch and Rough return to form. Rough still seems to be labouring but at least the effort was there. Wouldn't surprise if these three were challenged to lift their output.

Hill is still a worry. Got more of it this week but that's probably more to do with him not being tagged. Lacks confidence which reflects in his disposal. His output is critical if we want to go deep into the finals series this year.

Plenty of room for improvement in the backline. Gibbo and Stratton just seem to be going. Silk the only consistent performer and I truly dread the day when he hangs up the boots. IMO the only player on our current list with the attributes to play a similar role(s) is Howe.

Fingers crossed for losses for both WA teams today.
The chief?

We learned nothing.

As it was we beat up a struggling side and still showed virtually no willingness to work hard.

Yeah we should sack all the players and coaches they haven't learned from the mistakes of 13-14 bloody useless

We learned nothing.

Imagine if you supported a club like Richmond or St.Kilda! :eek:

We learned nothing.

Disagree. The one thing I got from the day...is Frawley is a more agile swingman than Shoey. From Shoey's perspective..yesterday was not a good day to watch from the sidelines. We also got to rest Mitch and Poppy.

Disagree. The one thing I got from the day...is Frawley is a more agile swingman than Shoey. From Shoey's perspective..yesterday was not a good day to watch from the sidelines. We also got to rest Mitch and Poppy.

Agree on all points.

Just feel that too many players had nothing to prove or work for and am worried we will find that hard to turn around come finals. That's why I would have rested more and let all the depth players fight for spots. Instead I just think we went through the motions like we've been doing so much of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were at least five occasions where the lions players went WAY over the mark but we got Nothing!! Merritt buried Breust by smacking him back of the head a few times yet again...Nothing!! We creep a little over the mark and BANG goes the whistle!!

Anyway, I thought Gibbo struggled with his decision making and he seems very angry this year! Opposition mids are told to just run and gun with handballs through the midfield with reckless abandon and keep hittin targets without even looking!!! It's bloody hard to watch.
Its getting to be a gang-up on the Hawks by the other clubs; desperate to try anything!

Do you think he turned a corner today ? I hope so , he looked much the same to me with occasional good things.

Then again there are a few who look like that. And for me , I don't criticise for criticisms sake, in fact I defend our players, our first quarter was terrible , our third quarter we held up against the wind 25 points to 20 points.

We did do some damage with the wind in the 2nd and 4th quarters, but against who.Brissy??

And that's what worries me. I'm sure we will shape up, but they don't look as "on" yet, not really even close.

And we will go to the Eagles I suspect first week. Its a hard road allright to three!
No "J",I reckon Freo will drop the last game to Port and W/C will move to top, making it Hawks to travel over to play Freo

While the quality of the opposition wasn't a good barometer, it was good to see the Chief, Birch and Rough return to form. Rough still seems to be labouring but at least the effort was there. Wouldn't surprise if these three were challenged to lift their output.

Hill is still a worry. Got more of it this week but that's probably more to do with him not being tagged. Lacks confidence which reflects in his disposal. His output is critical if we want to go deep into the finals series this year.

Plenty of room for improvement in the backline. Gibbo and Stratton just seem to be going. Silk the only consistent performer and I truly dread the day when he hangs up the boots. IMO the only player on our current list with the attributes to play a similar role(s) is Howe.

Fingers crossed for losses for both WA teams today.
Not going to happen though is it "D"?

This annoyed me as well. Since Richmond got away with it every side has been doing it while if we put a toe nail over it gets called.

The number of incorrect disposals yesterday that weren't called against Brissy (particularly in the first quarter) was ridiculous. Port got away with head as well.

It's the only way the AFL can equalise the game.

At least in the finals other teams will have to beat us on their merits. Richmond won't get to play with 21 again.
Totally agree with all that MHF, and the Tigers won't know what hit them if we meet in the finals!

Just came on here to make mention of this. Just watching the start of the 2nd quarter now and watching lions players CLEARLY run over the mark without penalty. Hawks should be asking for a please explain or hopefully, they are saving bringing it to attention for the first week of the finals. It has clearly been a tactic since we played Richmond to encroach the mark and opposition teams are not being penalised for it. Its gotta stop because its against the rules, there shouldnt be warnings, or chances to 'get back 1 metre' etc it should be 50 metre penalties. It has happened far to much too often lately and it taking away our time, it also seems we have about 3 seconds to dispose of the ball and we are being double penalised.
It definitely sucks "R2G"!

mikeder it might be time to use the multi quote function.

Spamming threads with responses is why it was invented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back