Preview Hawks vs Pies - pre-match discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting selection dilemma. Frawley injured, Spangher injured, Schoenmakers barely touched the ball playing forward or back.
Have been defensive of Schoey in the past, but I have lost patience.

IN: Cyril Rioli

OUT: Frawley (Shoulder)

Spangher got injured today in the VFL. He won't be playing next week. :(

B: Stratton, Lake, Duryea

HB: Birchall, Gibson, Hodge

C: Shiels, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Breust, Gunston, Rioli

F: Puopolo, Roughead, Hale

R: Ceglar, Lewis, Burgoyne

INT: Hill, Hartung, Langford, Suckling

Sounds good to me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can't disagree with that line up.

This is going to be a huge game.

Hopefully our goal kicking accuracy will improve for this game and keep our momentum train moving along nicely.

Last edited:
No-body apart from Woodward and Simpkin really did their chances on senior selection any good. Some players that were genuinely on the brink like O'Rourke had little to no impact at all. Spangher also got injured which completed a dogged day, and Shoenmakers did next to nothing while he was playing. The only genuine 'guerilla' defensive replacement we have for Frawley this round is either Shoenmakers or Heatherly, one of whom is vilified every time he plays back and is pants under pressure and the other who is yet to play a senior games and will probably find himself on the resting ruckman of Collingwood. I once again feel sorry for Kaiden Brand because he could have been playing in our side by now.
Ins: Rioli
Outs: Frawley

This is really the only change I can see. We may have decided to use Shoenmakers as a forward and then switch him to the backline if need be but after his performance at Box Hill I think we'll be ill inclined to do that (I'm not just hating on the guy either, he had no genuine impact). Rioli is always going to keep his spot in the side, and Langford keeps his spot. Hartung may have also had a slightly nervous wait after an average game, but he has been extremely good for us and this could just have been a one-off. Don't expect him to be pushed out of the Senior side.

Possibilities (Slim)
Ins:
Rioli, Litherland
Outs: Mitchell, Frawley

Mitchell was listed as having a corked leg, and those don't always pull up well. I doubt he won't play after needling Essendon, but the slim chance is there. Litherland also has the defensive ability to play on both talls and smalls, those it's obvious that aerial contests somewhat worry him. He was one of our better players at Box Hill though, so he may get a call up. Woodward also possibly a sneaky chance.

Schoey has to play if not to maintain the balance of the team. He's really the only option for Cloke when he roams up the ground. Lake won't be able to go with him and will need to stay at home to play on spud White and Witts. Need a big game from Cegs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schoey has to play if not to maintain the balance of the team. He's really the only option for Cloke when he roams up the ground. Lake won't be able to go with him and will need to stay at home to play on spud White and Witts. Need a big game from Cegs.

Schoenmakers was poor today for Box Hill. I can't see him coming in next week. The Pies don't really have a tall forward-line anyway and our back six is more then capable of beating them without Frawley.

Langford needs to stay. Showed today that we need his grunt. Still got plenty to work on but his hardness at the contest is very, very important. Rough spending more time playing as a mid is killing it which tells me we need another option up forward. Sicily.

Yeah....NAH.....Recipe for disaster. Cloke would kill him (Cameron anyone?) & we want to win.

If you need to admire & watch Schoey at his best, then it's probably best to do so in a men's-wear catalog.

I was watching the end of the Box Hill game and Spangher was on the field hobbling around... It may just be a sprain and he can play? If not then we need someone who can go with Cloke when he roams up the ground, but to be honest if Cloke is getting his kicks 60+ out then it's a win for us.

In - Spangher ( if fit), Rioli
Out - Frawley, Suckling

I know Suckers did ok but he is on he cusp hence the green vest, essentially he came on and player Cyril's half forward role so naturally he'll be the one to make way.

Cyril in
Chips out

This game is not going to be a walk in the park, even moreso if we continue with the poor starts and give them a sniff. Cloke could end up having yet another field day with no real match up - their forward line has been good all year.

We are the better team on paper but the pies have been very good and I'm far from confident

Their coming off an 8 day break to our 6 days...Their essentially a team full of youngsters & we have many vets....This is going to be tough.

I'D bring in both Cyril & Jed, as we'll need their freshness & run.

Don't think Jed deserves a game at all. Would be four or five ahead of him at the moment.

I would just do the straight Cyril for Frawley swap. If the Pies name Reid then I would make a late change on game day and bring Schoey in in case he is needed in defence. He isn't great there but if he has Lake and Gibbo with him it shouldn't be as bad as it has been.

E]worried about this one for sure we really didn't thrash the injectors I think we're in a bit of trouble with this one...I would hate to see shoey come in and get pantsed .. What are the options though?

Gibbo one of the great 2nd tall key defenders of the last 10 years. I'd rather him than Frawley on the second tall, but we'll miss he's rebound. But with Birch back that now covered.
On a separate note Gibbo will be so upset on he's lost opp for he's first career goal. That's going to make him angry.

E]worried about this one for sure we really didn't thrash the injectors I think we're in a bit of trouble with this one...I would hate to see shoey come in and get pantsed .. What are the options though?

22 other VFL blokes come to mind....No need to replace Frawley...The Woods strength lies in their array of smalls/runners.

Lewis form is a worry... maybe start him up forward like they did a few years ago against the pies i think he kicked 5 that day.
Shoey will be back in for Frawley and thats about it.
Suckling can be sub again :p

Forgot about Cyril he'll be in for someone.

Lewis form is a worry... maybe start him up forward like they did a few years ago against the pies i think he kicked 5 that day.
Shoey will be back in for Frawley and thats about it.
Suckling can be sub again :p
Lewis was tagged by melksham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back