Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
bump.

Watched this game again last night -- Port got back in the contest as a result of the Monfries free , having said that their goal kicking was abysmal , reminiscent of Hawthorn in 2011 PF .

I can see how Monfries was awarded that free kick as Roseberries would have been watching Monfries only -- but he leapt into Gibbo, who had his eyes on the ball the whole time and Monfies leaps early and never touches it. Play on would be the correct call for mine.

HawvPA2014PF-54da8a3f71866.gif

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
bump.

Watched this game again last night -- Port got back in the contest as a result of the Monfries free , having said that their goal kicking was abysmal , reminiscent of Hawthorn in 2011 PF .

I can see how Monfries was awarded that free kick as Roseberries would have been watching Monfries only -- but he leapt into Gibbo, who had his eyes on the ball the whole time and Monfies leaps early and never touches it. Play on would be the correct call for mine.

Read the rule book. 'Fingernail to the side, and then wave your arms around like you've been shot with a 12 gauge' is a rule you know.

Taskmaster

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2008
Sth East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Im actually looking forward to seeing how Port handle the pressure/expectations this year. I think they may just find out what its really all about.

And as for last years prelim, we went into self preservation mode with 10 mins to go. IF we decided to play as we were, the margin would have been 50+

But glad all the hype is all over Port, Syd again this year. It just means we can do what we do and show the rest of the comp how its done!!!

Im actually looking forward to seeing how Port handle the pressure/expectations this year. I think they may just find out what its really all about.

And as for last years prelim, we went into self preservation mode with 10 mins to go. IF we decided to play as we were, the margin would have been 50+

But glad all the hype is all over Port, Syd again this year. It just means we can do what we do and show the rest of the comp how its done!!!

History suggests that when you get thumped in a Grand Final those teams usually struggle the very next year like Essendon (2001) Collingwood (2003) Port Adelaide (2007). The Swans won't beat us this year.

Last edited:
bump.

I thought the same thing

but it certainly created for an exciting finish

markr

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Gibbo had been a forward and Monfries a defender Gibbo would have got the free for front on contract (or perhaps the "unrealistic attempt" one they drag out when a player doesn't make contact with the ball). Having said that. Gibbo is a pro. He knew what he was doing.

bump.

I have a feeling that the AFL admitted the umpire erred on awarding Morefrees the free kick and it should have been play on. It's so long ago now that I don't quite remember.

bump.

The best part of that is that the umpire said to Gibbo, to justify the call, is that "You never had your eyes on the ball!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
I just look at the Prelim and think to myself, our performance at the end of that game was the fuel to destroy the Swans in the Grannie. The players wouldn't have been happy with the way they finished that off,and certainly made amends 7 days later.

As for the free kick, rubbish decision which was the catalyst for their comeback. Considering that Monfries was know near the bloody thing, not sure how Gibbo can get pinged for interferance.

End of the day, we won, they lost, we won the flag by plenty, and most other supporters spent plenty of time, energy and emotion on sulking of how we were carried by the umps that night. All that = BIG *EN WIN TO THE HAWKS!!!

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
bump.

Correct Gibbo out manoeuvred him, simple .

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
bump.

Whole last quarter full of ridiculous decisions really

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
winners are grinners - the Hawks were the best team in 2014 ... however there wont be any let up ... The Port train ain't stopping any time soon.

Whole last quarter full of ridiculous decisions really
I've said this before I believe the free kick count in the last term was 8-1 in Ports favour (yet people only remember the one we got for HTB) and everyone one of those calls were questionable.

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
History suggests that when you get thumped in a Grand Final those teams usually struggle the very next year like Essendon (2001) Collingwood (2003) Port Adelaide (2007). The Swans won't beat us this year.

essendon got thumped in 83, and won in 84, we got thumped in 85 and won in 86…….this is not necessarily true

winners are grinners - the Hawks were the best team in 2014 ... however there wont be any let up ... The Port train ain't stopping any time soon.

How do you think Port are gonna go with the pressure of being the hunted? It is not something a lot of teams adjust to very quickly. In my mind Port are still a couple of years off winning the thing. They had a bit of a chance to pull the sneaky last year (A Hawks 2008), and I think would have if they got over the line in the PF, but there is a lot of history that shows the sneaky challenger slips back a few cogs for a season or so. I don't think your lot is going to Adelaide it though.

bump.

No matter how many times I look at that, I can't work out how it can possibly be a free. Yet, a lot of dickhead neutral supporters keep insisting we were handed a GF berth by the umpires. :rolleyes:

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How do you think Port are gonna go with the pressure of being the hunted? It is not something a lot of teams adjust to very quickly. In my mind Port are still a couple of years off winning the thing. They had a bit of a chance to pull the sneaky last year (A Hawks 2008), and I think would have if they got over the line in the PF, but there is a lot of history that shows the sneaky challenger slips back a few cogs for a season or so. I don't think your lot is going to Adelaide it though.
Time will tell - I cant see last years top 4 changing.
The likely GF outcome could possibly be the same as well. Port were definitely the third best team in the comp last year and will need something extra to get to the GF in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back