Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell said as much at the start of the GF recall. 5 goals up halfway through the last quarter they felt like it was over and had already put the cue in the rack. Once Port got some momentum it was impossible to stop them.

Some opposition supporters reckon that's a cop out but there's nothing really to be gained from putting the foot down and making your PF a blow out. Certainly didn't help Sydney last year.
Nothing to be gained?
I've nearly had heart failure 4 years running because of Prelim finals
Think of my heart/blood pressure/sanity next time Hawks! :p

Nothing to be gained?
Haha I think the plan was to coast to a 3-4 goal win after being 5 goals up with 10 mins left. Bloody exciting games though!

Port nearly pinched the game due to some innovative coaching by Hinkley I.e. starting Wingard of the half backline of the centre square on centre bounces and sprinting forward as fast as he could in the hope of a decisive win at the bounce in Ports favour.

Incredibly, this worked time and again in the dying minutes of the prelim. Kudos to Hinkley, but it is not a tactic you would often employ as it exposes you going the other way, but it worked and we failed to counter it.

I'm sure Clarko would have been working on tactics over the summer to combat it. Faced with a similar situation again, Hinkley may need to pull another rabbit out of the hat to get his team back in the contest, as we will be ready for the half back dash next time.

Noticably, the port tactic worked well twice when there was a shocking bounce. Bounce proprly, or throw up means not so effective

Nothing to be gained?

When they closed the gap to under a goal I was dreading all the 'mates' who I would have to send a txt 'FU' back to after they started stirring me about us losing.

When they closed the gap to under a goal I was dreading all the 'mates' who I would have to send a txt 'FU' back to after they started stirring me about us losing.
When they closed the gap to under a goal I turned off the TV and walked up and down the hall checking scores on my phone
My wife thought I was crazy, but I just couldn't watch

When they closed the gap to under a goal I turned off the TV and walked up and down the hall checking scores on my phone

I walked outside, but then worried that that might have been a jinx so walked back in again. I was so confused and conflicted.

You bastards made me watch the last quarter again. I was just as nervous as when I was at the match! It was an antidote for all the good feelings I've had since the granny.

If Port can keep their players on the park they're going to be a bloody good side this year. Seeing that game again made me realise that we don't have to slip much to be out of contention.

I left the ground, and walked to Richmond while checking my phone....

Win - Cricketer's Arms for many euphoric celebratory ales and hugs with Hawks

Lose - Horrific and desolate train trip home to oblivion for 6 months of kicking the cat and avoiding sport media

I got to the fencing around Punt Road (near Brunton Ave cnr) before those beautiful words came up on AFL Live app...FINAL SCORE!!!!!

Skipped to the Cricketers... :):):)

faaaaarrk doing that again though....

I'll be honest....I thought they had us....The last 2 minutes seemed like 2 freakin hours!....Nerves were so shot after that game, it took my body a full week to relax & recover from it!....Post near-traumatic stress disorder think it's called.

Attachments

• imagesE2ERIOEP.jpg
    imagesE2ERIOEP.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 3
In the preliminary final against the cats I turned it off at 3/4 time and had "friends" giving me constant updates but still thought we were in with a chance, just couldn't wstch it

I've never cried over a game of football, but When port got to under a goal I turned the tv off with tears in my eyes thinking that we had blown it - it wasn't till one of my kids messaged a big "WAHOO through to another one" that I started breathing again. In the context of sport, it would of been the worst 5 minutes of my life.

I was at the game. Biggest thrill (since 2013 PF).

I always tell my friends that don't "get" footy that this is why a footy game like that is better than any action movie. You're completely invested in the result and unlike a Hollywood action flick there's no guarantee that the "good guys" will win it in the end.

Sometimes you'll suffer the ultimate heartbreak (2011 PF, 2012 GF) but other times you'll get the thrill (2012-14 PF).

I virtually died on my seat and stopped breathing for a couple of minutes! In fact, when Gunno put us up by five Gls my mates started the 'Hawwwwthhorrn' chant and I was asked why not join, my answer was that I had this feeling that the game was far from over and I was unfortunately right! Anyway my breathing has been as good as a three year old ever since!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game. Biggest thrill (since 2013 PF).

I always tell my friends that don't "get" footy that this is why a footy game like that is better than any action movie. You're completely invested in the result and unlike a Hollywood action flick there's no guarantee that the "good guys" will win it in the end.

Sometimes you'll suffer the ultimate heartbreak (2011 PF, 2012 GF) but other times you'll get the thrill (2012-14 PF).

I was there with 4 other family members and we were all shaking together, couldn't believe what we were witnessing.

But when the siren went, we all just said "never in doubt" and hugged and high-fived each other!

It was meant to happen

;)

I'll be honest....I thought they had us....The last 2 minutes seemed like 2 freakin hours!

Ditto, they just kept plugging it forward and scoring, and could sense the umps getting caught up in the potential 'fairytale' rather than just making decisions on what they saw. I was actually thinking how much time did we have to score once we fell behind, but then... enter the dragon. Well... enter the Luke Hodge. No wonder all those Yanks have on their coins: 'In Hodge we trust'. Who'd have thought we'd learn something from Americans?

We'll get them in the prelim again this year - expect the huge revenge media narrative and we'll rock up and destroy them.

They were running on exuberance this year. Itll go to their head and they'll need a year of consolidation before they make a grand final I reckon.

Could go either way for mine....They could do an Adelaide & disappear altogether, or build on it to make the Grand Final, but fall at the final hurdle.

They've not enuf veterans on their list for mine in order to maintain the belief necessary to carry them all the way...Cornes is one, but this will be his final year & he is on his last legs & will likely be lucky to see finals action.

Also, I'm sure that Clarko & the boys will have done their homework on their tactics, which worked a treat for them in the Preliminary Final....We won't get caught off-guard in that regards again.....Hinkley definitely scored the points in the coaches boxes on the night, without a doubt.

They still remain our biggest threat for 2015 IMO.....Also, won't be surprised to see Freo up there again either....Despite what everyone else thinks & says to the contrary.

Could go either way for mine....They could do an Adelaide & disappear altogether, or build on it to make the Grand Final, but fall at the final hurdle.

They've not enuf veterans on their list for mine in order to maintain the belief necessary to carry them all the way...Cornes is one, but this will be his final year & he is on his last legs & will likely be lucky to see finals action.

Also, I'm sure that Clarko & the boys will have done their homework on their tactics, which worked a treat for them in the Preliminary Final....We won't get caught off-guard in that regards again.....Hinkley definitely scored the points in the coaches boxes on the night, without a doubt.

They still remain our biggest threat for 2015 IMO.....Also, won't be surprised to see Freo up there again either....Despite what everyone else thinks & says to the contrary.
i disagree, clarko gets the points not only because we won but also the domination we had for most of the game. Apparently it was Walsh that came up with the centre square set ups that got them close in the last too.

I agree on freo, with a healthy list they are a damn good side if their big name players are in decent form. They need a healthy list which is unlikely tho as they do lack depth.

I walked outside, but then worried that that might have been a jinx so walked back in again. I was so confused and conflicted.
You weren't the only one. When they got within a goal I turned the tv off and went and sat in the back yard in the dark for 10 minutes, just to make sure it was over before I checked the score. First reaction was "we won, thank goodness" second reaction was "....hang on...they scored AGAIN? Glad I wasn't watching!"

I feel....dissapointed by this game, dont get me wrong it was amazing and im sure that it would have been great to watch. Im not sure how i am going to say this or how it came across but i was not nervous for the whole game, i kinda knew we would win it, even when port came back within a goal i was just sitting down and waiting for the siren, i have watched it many times since but i cant get excited by the game which fkin sucks!

I have decided i need to have an hour meditation session before any Hawthorn Preliminary finals. Whatever i can do to calm my nerves for what is always a close game.

You bastards made me watch the last quarter again. I was just as nervous as when I was at the match! It was an antidote for all the good feelings I've had since the granny.
I know what you mean! Even when you know that we won in the end, you still feel pretty uncomfortable watching it. Still get annoyed at the dodgy frees going against us. Though, watching it again did show that we were the better team and was just a bit of complacency that let them back in. Well, complacency and that bullshit Monfries free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back