Ultimate Glory Hawks vs Swans - We take flag number 12 - our greatest flag - The Hard Way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lake threatens to win back to back Norm Smith medals with a goal saving mark

DFsx2tk.gif

A regular day at the office for Hawthorn:
Oh7ohWY.gif
fOqEtCR.gif
9sqFxfp.gif
Y3CaN5I.gif
j6pZSRx.gif

Got be the best of the lot for mine:p

I was just reading the white description text and must have read it like half a dozen times trying to pick up some really subtle joke...

Then I saw the title... "Close Encounters" :p:D
At first I thought it was the 'now they go toe to toe' bit

Replay just started on fox footy tv, qld time 10:30 to 13:00. My word, $hitney will have to have a massive turn around from this mental scarring to feature in 2015 finals.

Replay just started on fox footy tv, qld time 10:30 to 13:00. My word, $hitney will have to have a massive turn around from this mental scarring to feature in 2015 finals.
Or it could be the catalyst for an assault on the flag!
Wouldn't write Sydney off in 2015 because of a bad finish to 2014

Let's face it, in an 18 team competition there really is only about 5 good sides week in and week out!

Or it could be the catalyst for an assault on the flag!
Wouldn't write Sydney off in 2015 because of a bad finish to 2014

Let's face it, in an 18 team competition there really is only about 5 good sides week in and week out!
Just curious, when was the last time a team (not Hawthorn) turned a 10-goal GF shellacking previous year into a premiership the following year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just curious, when was the last time a team (not Hawthorn) turned a 10-goal GF shellacking previous year into a premiership the following year?
There was a thread (I believe on the main board) a couple months ago where a similar discussion was going on. From memory I found that teams that lost a Grand Final by a big margin (40+ pts was the figure I think) won the flag the following year more often than the team who dealt out the flogging did.

It's such a rare occurrence though that there's not enough data to draw any significant conclusions from. And there's always different reasons sides get belted in GFs.

The stat that should worry Sydney is that their team was close to their best 22, not carrying any significant injuries into the game AND they now hold the record for the largest GF loss by a minor premier. And on top of that they've lost one of the few players who actually played well in that game.

Might be as far back as Eagles 91 / 92 . And I seem to remember that they bulked up significantly in 92. Never seen a physical transformation like it. Dank wasn't around back then was he?

I was just reading the white description text and must have read it like half a dozen times trying to pick up some really subtle joke...

Then I saw the title... "Close Encounters" :p:D

For Sydney, I think it was a "Close Encounter" of an entirely different kind... More like a horror movie, or even a near-death experience!

There was a thread (I believe on the main board) a couple months ago where a similar discussion was going on. From memory I found that teams that lost a Grand Final by a big margin (40+ pts was the figure I think) won the flag the following year more often than the team who dealt out the flogging did.

It's such a rare occurrence though that there's not enough data to draw any significant conclusions from. And there's always different reasons sides get belted in GFs
What's more common recently is the side dishing out the flogging making the next year's decider and losing:

Collingwood 2010/11
Geelong 2007/08
Brisbane 2003/04
Essendon 2000/01

More history to be overcome.

And on a side note, the local rag in Sydney had a snippett on Buddy - headed "Buddy driving Swans batty". Apparently got done for speeding on the way to a Swans training camp at Goulbourn. Story accompanied by a pic of Jes' mangled Keep Cherokee that he smashed up last year.

How's that bigger fishbowl working out for you, Bud???

Having recently viewed the 2014 Grand Final, because, well, that's just what we all do, I decided yesterday (for a bit of variety) to watch the 2013 Grand Final. Apart from all that defensive crap going on, I realised something was missing. It took me a while to figure it out, but I got it somewhere in the 3rd quarter.

Not enough Langers. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back