Ultimate Glory Hawks vs Swans - We take flag number 12 - our greatest flag - The Hard Way.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm positive that maclure will also be one of the first to line king up when 360 returns next year

I actually wouldn't mind him as the replacement for Sheehan OTC
Would never happen, they have a minimum quota of two thirds Swans flogs on that show

I bet the club doctor is rapped that lake quoted him in that article

Lol, just what I was thinking! Lakey might be called in for another talking to after that article ;) Good that all this was kept in-house though, despite the media staking out hospitals, clinics and the like some things still get past them :D

Last edited:

I bet the club doctor is rapped that lake quoted him in that article
That particular quote would've received a little attention from the club I would think.

"Brian, can you please try...TRY...to engage your brain before opening your mouth!".

As crazy as it sounds, it was our 2 first possessions after which I knew we had it won.

$ydney got the first kick out of the centre & with no authority or reason that I could expect, Burgoyne laid a fancy tap of a disputed ball to Birchall who hit Hale on a diving lead about 25m+ away.

A team shouldn't be so composed in the first 5 seconds of the GF & I remarked such to my brother, with whom I was watching the game. Of course, he told me to shut up & I had to get the next 3 beers, but at 1/4 Time, I'd won back the ascendency & he was getting beers from that point forward. I had to get the first beer of the 2nd Quarter but after a short struggle I assumed beer dominance & had 4 of the next 5 beers delivered to me. On the back of some AotY favouritism I got us 2 beers leading in to Half Time, but I came out blazing in the 3rd Quarter & my brother was getting repeat beers on my whim...

I forget what happened after that but I woke up Tuesday & saw that we won the game by about a million!

TAKE THAT LI'L BROTHER!

Although the positives of this game are still fresh and so bloody good to reminisce about, every time I think about the week preceding the game I get grumpy.

I don't think Grand finalists should have to contend with such one sided media.

For the second year in a row, at a time when football followers should be able to take all the footy media in that is available to them, I found myself turning off programs, switching radio stations, closing news articles and all because I did not find it at all enjoyable to read, hear or see how Hawthorn were going to struggle against their opponent.

I found it downright disrespectful, and I think I will always have a bad taste in my mouth when reminded of the lead up to both GF's.

If only the AFL affiliated media stuck to the good stories leading into the game, and forgot about predicting an outcome.

Nothing was more highlighted this than this example.

Plenty of talk about McGyln missing 2012 through injury, but not a word spoken about Matt Suckling whom probably had a much better story in the end, played every game in 2012 and went through the heartbreak then misses the whole 2013 season and has to watch his club get redemption without any for himself then he gets his chance against the same team in 2014 and salutes.

Perfect example of the one-sided approach by the media.

I asked Emma Quayle about it on twitter, she suggested that the reason 'may' have been that McGyln had done interviews during the week whilst Hawks didn't make Sucklin available. Still a bit weak if you ask me.

I went on a boat trip with my under 9's Soccer team before the GF (end of season booze cruise). Half a dozen dads came along also. All the Boys and Dad's were backing the Swans. They even pulled down the Hawks scarf that I had tied to the bow. I was being oppressed. Even my boy wavered over his prediction of a Hawks win due the peer pressure on board and he is an indoctrinated little Hawk. I said we would win easy all morning but they would have none of it and continued their mockery of all things brown and gold.

The closer it got to game time the more confident I began to feel (having my first beer at 8.30am probably helped). The girls (bless them) had whipped up a mean spread and the beers were cold when I went to the upstairs room to watch the game. 8 swans supporters, 1 blue bagger and myself and the little champ the only Hawkers present. Again all in the room tipped Sydney. I was adamant to the point of arrogance that we would win easily. (I hinted that they should take more notice of my predictions after tipping the Hawks and Lake for the Norm Smith last year).

The only downer of the day being I had to revel in the joy of a great win by myself, drunk on the tears of the 8 Sydney supporters and lager.

(Wife dragged me off couch at 2am after watching highlights packages/reading BF.)

Last edited:

Plenty of talk about McGyln missing 2012 through injury, but not a word spoken about Matt Suckling whom probably had a much better story in the end, played every game in 2012 and went through the heartbreak then misses the whole 2013 season and has to watch his club get redemption without any for himself then he gets his chance against the same team in 2014 and salutes.

I asked Emma Quayle about it on twitter, she suggested that the reason 'may' have been that McGyln had done interviews during the week whilst Hawks didn't make Sucklin available. Still a bit weak if you ask me.

Maybe the reason that he wasn't made a available was that nobody asked?

Nah it's all about the Swans. What was nice was the interviews with guys like Breust after the game and the way they talked about how much it meant to them having Suckers out there.,

Just got to get Whitey and Cegs one now !!

Nah it's all about the Swans. What was nice was the interviews with guys like Breust after the game and the way they talked about how much it meant to them having Suckers out there.,

And Jed! Was oh so close to being the 2013 sub and Clarko said he'd likely be best 22 this year if not for injury.

I want Schoey to get one too. Like Suckers he played in 2012 and missed out in 2013 (and now 2014 :( ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Schoey to get one too. Like Suckers he played in 2012 and missed out in 2013 (and now 2014 :( ).

That would be a nice story if that were to happen.
Plus, we would be celebrating again.:D

Watching that Preliminary Final against Geelong, Shaun Burgoyne's last quarter was absolutely phenomenal and he kick started our comeback. Both Burgoyne and Hill were very good in that game.

That win against the Cats actually kick started our run for back 2 back flags.

In just two seasons of footy we've won 42/50 games.

Last edited:
I wanna see Whitey win one more than anything.

Would love to see Whitecross win a Premiership medal. He's still only 24 and has a lot of upside left in him despite having two knee reconstructions. Will be interesting to see what sort of role Whitecross play's in the side next year. Hopefully he's back for the Round 1 game against Geelong.

Well, that's 3 premierships from 4 Grand Final appearances for Clarko.

Not too shabby. 4 from 5 sounds better though. ;)

We have a good GF record overall at Hawthorn, something like 2:1 in the win-loss ratio (someone will know the exact figures I'm sure). Some other clubs like Collingwood and St Kilda have lost way more than they have won. No wonder we're a happy team at Hawthorn! :D

We have a good GF record overall at Hawthorn, something like 2:1 in the win-loss ratio (someone will know the exact figures I'm sure). Some other clubs like Collingwood and St Kilda have lost way more than they have won. No wonder we're a happy team at Hawthorn! :D

12 from 18...

The 4th best in the league

Adelaide 2 from 2 (100%)
Brisbane Lions 3 from 4 (75%)
Melbourne 12 from 17 with a draw (70.5%)
Hawthorn 12 from 18 (66.66%)
West Coast 3 from 5 (60%)
Fitzroy 8 from 13 (61.53%)
Carlton 16 from 30 (53.33%)
Essendon 14 from 27 with a draw (51.85%)
Geelong 9 from 18 (50%)
Port Adelaide 1 from 2 (50%)
W Bulldogs 1 from 2 (50%)
Richmond 10 from 22 (45.45%)
North Melbourne 4 from 9 with a draw (44.44%)
Collingwood 15 from 43 with two draws (34.8%)
Sydney Swans 5 from 16 (31.25%)
St Kilda 1 from 7 with a draw (14.28%)

12 from 18...

The 4th best in the league

Adelaide 2 from 2 (100%)
Brisbane Lions 3 from 4 (75%)
Melbourne 12 from 17 with a draw (70.5%)
Hawthorn 12 from 18 (66.66%)
West Coast 3 from 5 (60%)
Fitzroy 8 from 13 (61.53%)
Carlton 16 from 30 (53.33%)
Essendon 14 from 27 with a draw (51.85%)
Geelong 9 from 18 (50%)
Port Adelaide 1 from 2 (50%)
W Bulldogs 1 from 2 (50%)
Richmond 10 from 22 (45.45%)
North Melbourne 4 from 9 with a draw (44.44%)
Collingwood 15 from 43 with two draws (34.8%)
Sydney Swans 5 from 16 (31.25%)
St Kilda 1 from 7 with a draw (14.28%)

Thanks, taking into account Adelaide have only played in two and Melbourne played most of theirs years ago, only Brisbane is better (slightly worse if you add in the Fitzroy ones). Pretty impressive Hawks :thumbsu:

It's interesting looking at Richmond's record. In Q/E/S/P Finals, their record is excellent, especially against the league's most successful teams over the century, but the GF's sort them out a bit:

9-7 v Collingwood (2-4 in GF's) - totally bucking the trend of Collingwood GF's...
5-4 v Essendon (1-1)
16-6-1 v Carlton (4-2) - an amazing stat, including a 52 year, 12 match unbeaten run...and Carlton have won 2 of the last 3, as well as the very first 2, so the middle of the record reads 15-2-1 in a time period where the Blues won 5 flags...!
7-2 v Geelong (1-1) - Cats won the last one in 1995, and the Tigers are lucky they've never faced off in this Geelong era...
4-3 v Sydney (1-1)

Up against the teams with less success, they drop the ball a bit:
1-4 v Fitzroy (0-1)
2-3 v North (1-0)
1-2 v StK (no GF's)

Against those they've rarely or never met:
2 v Melb - won the SF but lost the GF in the same season (1940).
Hawks, Dogs - no finals, plus they lost a PF v Brisbane once, as well as this year's Port debacle.

As far as the Hawks go, they could have lined up against Richmond on 4 occasions in a GF with a single changed PF result - Richmond lost the 1971 PF, and we lost the 1982 PF...in 1971 we were the league's best side, and in 1982 we beat Richmond twice in their 18-4 minor premiership, so the odds might have been with us, who knows (pity neither team could get past Carlton, who were 5-2 against both...!). In 1974, we also beat them twice in the H&A, but they were pretty good by GF time, and NM thumped us the week before anyway. 1975 could have been very interesting - we were slumping in the last two months, and they were coming from the EF but couldn't beat NM in the PF...

The only other time of PF proximity, in 2001, both the Hawks and Tigers were losers, but even though we were close, they weren't...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back