Autopsy Hawks vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Legally, no.

To be indigenous, you generally need to be 1/4 or be acknowledged as indigenous by an elder.

My background is a little more... shall we say... shrouded?

That's not correct - you are either indigenous or you are not but yes you do need to identify as being aboriginal and to be acknowledged by the community.

I too have a very interesting background and I have actually thoroughly enjoyed researching my aboriginality. It's been an amazing journey and one that I encourage anyone to do regardless of what their cultural background is.

If people are booing goodes because of his actions then it would be racist to stop booing just because of his race.

If people are booing him because of his race, then thats not cool... but also not booing him just because of his race is also not cool.

That's just it. They directly (or close to) resulted in 3-5 goals to the Stains which were undeserved.

Point me to errors in our favour that result in goals. You might find one, two if you're being generous.

And we lose by a kick.

But that wasn't the reason we lost. I hate blaming umpires and yes they do play a role sometimes in changing a game but at the end of the day - fifteen kicks on goal resulting in 15 points. As the chief said last night OTC - poor kicking, is poor football and it cost them the game.

I actually loved the back handed slap to the swans with that one line

Lead article currently on AFL website is backhandedly calling Hawks fans racist leading into Indigenous round. I am really pissed and deeply resent this assertion. The AFL are using the booing issue as a form of promotion now wtf??? The AFL are a disgrace. My wife is Indigenous and a Swans supporter and knows I think Goodes is a tool even more so now. Never been closer to walking away from this game and my team is at the peak of it's powers.:confused:

I'm willing to admit that it is a bit unsettling that we collectively boo Adam Goodes. I don't recall him ever doing anything specifically to us that warrants him being singled out for booing. I find him pretty annoying myself also but I suppose I don't bother to ask why I have that reaction. If he were a white bloke with the same character would I have the same response? Im not really sure. Bottom line is that there probably is a racist component to it which we should collectively steer clear of. I don't reckon it does the club much good getting anywhere near something that could (very easily) be interpreted as racist. I listen to the Italian and Turkish soccer supporters doing monkey chants at the black players and I immediately think 'those primitive morons'. I wouldn't want other people to have the same reaction to us.
I'd be a-OK with everyone leaving Goodes alone and giving it to McGlynn instead.

Lead article currently on AFL website is backhandedly calling Hawks fans racist leading into Indigenous round. I am really pissed and deeply resent this assertion. The AFL are using the booing issue as a form of promotion now wtf??? The AFL are a disgrace. My wife is Indigenous and a Swans supporter and knows I think Goodes is a tool even more so now. Never been closer to walking away from this game and my team is at the peak of it's powers.:confused:

If people are booing goodes because of his actions then it would be racist to stop booing just because of his race.

If people are booing him because of his race, then thats not cool... but also not booing him just because of his race is also not cool.

I think you'll find it's a swill of emotions but that the race aspect is definitely there in the mix. Whether that's in the form of clearly overt dislike of different ethnicities or a more subtle and subconscious reaction to someone of colour challenging the status quo. I think that we should all be wise enough to accept that it's better not to buy into any of it.

To borrow from the famous Mark Twain saying, "it's better keep your mouth your shut and let people think you're a racist than open it and remove all doubt".

australia was founded on racism. this behaviour is a reflection of the white australia policy ingrained in the white australian psyche
Right. So I'm not allowed to boo McGlynn? Because I really can't stand him to be honest.

Likely to get boo'd more by more crowds after this. Going to be pretty entertaining.

Not because of his skin colour, not at all, that's complete BS so I wont even address that, because he is sooky flog. Nothing more nothing less.

That's not correct - you are either indigenous or you are not but yes you do need to identify as being aboriginal and to be acknowledged by the community.

I too have a very interesting background and I have actually thoroughly enjoyed researching my aboriginality. It's been an amazing journey and one that I encourage anyone to do regardless of what their cultural background is.

Yes, but as I say, legally speaking (i.e. "Do I tick the box on application forms to say that I'm ATSI?") I'm not.

australia was founded on racism. this behaviour is a reflection of the white australia policy ingrained in the white australian psyche

What a complete load of bollocks:

Ask Cyril or Silk if they find Hawk supporters racist.

We hate Goodes for the exact reason why he calls us racists....He is a precious, self-entitled, soft-utensil!....As is evident in the manner he stages for free-kicks.

We hate him & boo him also, due to his filthy sliding in, knees first attempts, to maim Josh Gibson on 2 separate occasions.

We hate & boo him because he was both privy to & complicit in Buddy's treason against us in jettisoning off to the $wines.

We hate & boo him for his over-the-top celebrations on the ground after the 2012 Grand Final upset.....Goodes by name does not mean goodes by nature.

Finally, we boo him because it is our democratic right to voice disapproval for the flog of a bloke that he is.....I will now boooo twice as long & twice as loud, whenever he has the ball; on principle alone.

His football ego & AOTY RECOGNITION have gone to his head & HIS entire political position is entirely one-dimensional....The bloke is a Joke.

No serious thinking citizen can now take this boy seriously....He has become the mouth-piece of the ignorant, the un-educated & the fluffy-dandruff ridden, head-line seeking junkies, that are the sports journalists (for want of a better word); of today.

Cant believe the media hype rubbish and Goodes sooking, I wasn't at the game on Saturday and personally haven't booed Goodes but i have no problem with him being booed and for the record i think he is a sniping, whining, staging flog. The way Hawthorn supporters are being labelled as racist and the obvious hypocrisy of this as many players get booed regardless of colour is just a joke. Sydney supporters and players really are just too bloody precious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm willing to admit that it is a bit unsettling that we collectively boo Adam Goodes. I don't recall him ever doing anything specifically to us that warrants him being singled out for booing. I find him pretty annoying myself also but I suppose I don't bother to ask why I have that reaction. If he were a white bloke with the same character would I have the same response? Im not really sure. Bottom line is that there probably is a racist component to it which we should collectively steer clear of. I don't reckon it does the club much good getting anywhere near something that could (very easily) be interpreted as racist. I listen to the Italian and Turkish soccer supporters doing monkey chants at the black players and I immediately think 'those primitive morons'. I wouldn't want other people to have the same reaction to us.
As I posted elsewhere I think it may have become a way of saying "up yours" to the afl by booing one of their protected species. And the more the media get upset the harder those pushing back will boo.
Alternatively see it as like booing the villan at a pantomime. The afl has become similar to live theatre entertainment and less of a sport to many.

Back to football please kids.

Coaches award - Dan Hannebury 10 votes (maximum I believe).

Now people, this guy throughout his entire career has kicked our collective buts for all but 2 occasions.
Once the glorious GF last year and the other was the 2013 QF where he had an injury riddled year.
Apart from that, we are his whipping boys, we never tag him, we never hurt him.
We stand back and accept his ways, to the point where the bashable head has twice the ugliness to it.
This all started in what was only his 6th or 8th game of football (IIRC) against the Hawks.
We won the game but he, as an 18 y/o collected close to 30 touches and kicked 4 goals (on the wing).

Everyone is noting that we are being challenged by the competition, it is scenarios like above that need to change.
Ryan Griffen, Adam Goodes had so so years however the Hawks allow these players to turn it all around and play back
to their best.

We need to be the hunter, not let the media circus affect us and cause carnage on the opposition.
Mitchell has been bashed around all year with little or small whimpers being returned by us.
It is time we picked our targets, hurt our opponents and restore equilibrium to the competition.

Our winning deeds may have made us complacent so that is why we must return to our primal instincts.
Being cute only wins you pageants but does not win you premierships.

We hate Goodes for the exact reason why he calls us racists....He is a precious, self-entitled, soft-utensil!....As is evident in the manner he stages for free-kicks.

We hate him & boo him also, due to his filthy sliding in, knees first attempts, to maim Josh Gibson on 2 separate occasions.

We hate & boo him because he was both privy to & complicit in Buddy's treason against us in jettisoning off to the $wines.

We hate & boo him for his over-the-top celebrations on the ground after the 2012 Grand Final upset.....Goodes by name does not mean goodes by nature.

Finally, we boo him because it is our democratic right to voice disapproval for the flog of a bloke that he is.....I will now boooo twice as long & twice as loud, whenever he has the ball; on principle alone.

His football ego & AOTY RECOGNITION have gone to his head & HIS entire political position is entirely one-dimensional....The bloke is a Joke.

No serious thinking citizen can now take this boy seriously....He has become the mouth-piece of the ignorant, the un-educated & the fluffy-dandruff ridden, head-line seeking junkies, that are the sports journalists (for want of a better word); of today.
Over the top celebrations on the ground after the 2012 GF?
They just won the flag, what do you want him to do?
Don't agree with that at all!

Cant believe the media hype rubbish and Goodes sooking, I wasn't at the game on Saturday and personally haven't booed Goodes but i have no problem with him being booed and for the record i think he is a sniping, whining, staging flog. The way Hawthorn supporters are being labelled as racist and the obvious hypocrisy of this as many players get booed regardless of colour is just a joke. Sydney supporters and players really are just too bloody precious.

It's a well known fact that West Coast supporters are racist against white people ever since they booed Jobe Watson.

I think you'll find it's a swill of emotions but that the race aspect is definitely there in the mix. Whether that's in the form of clearly overt dislike of different ethnicities or a more subtle and subconscious reaction to someone of colour challenging the status quo. I think that we should all be wise enough to accept that it's better not to buy into any of it.

To borrow from the famous Mark Twain saying, "it's better keep your mouth your shut and let people think you're a racist than open it and remove all doubt".
i call bs, for some the race aspect may be there but im sure for a lot of people they just dont like the way he plays the game or certain other acts off field, same with selwood and his miling of high free kicks and a number of others. Or any other number of non racist reasons.

To assume that all booers are booing him is just pure ignorance. Its a stereotype that you are buying into. There is no ground to say that all people booing goodes or any other footballer are doing so on racial grounds. Sure some may be, but to automatically assume that all booers are racist is borderline racist in itself. It infers that all australians are racist which is frankly a ridiculous and insulting assumption. Having traveled around the world and spent a fair bit of time in a lot of different countries, Australians are some of the least racist and most concerned with not being racist that I've encountered. Your experience may be different and thats fine, but to infer/assume that we are all like that is insulting and frankly it is racist.

You are essentially saying that no one can boo a person of aboriginal descent for any reason but to boo others is ok? So we should treat aboriginals differently to all others? is that what you are saying? based on some made up assumptions?

If someone acts in a way that makes people want to boo them, then let those that wish to boo regardless of the colour of their skin, religion etc etc. That is equality. Wanting anything other than that is discrimination. Treating one group of people differently to others based on that difference is discrimination.

Back to football please kids.

Coaches award - Dan Hannebury 10 votes (maximum I believe).

Now people, this guy throughout his entire career has kicked our collective buts for all but 2 occasions.
Once the glorious GF last year and the other was the 2013 QF where he had an injury riddled year.
Apart from that, we are his whipping boys, we never tag him, we never hurt him.
We stand back and accept his ways, to the point where the bashable head has twice the ugliness to it.
This all started in what was only his 6th or 8th game of football (IIRC) against the Hawks.
We won the game but he, as an 18 y/o collected close to 30 touches and kicked 4 goals (on the wing).

Everyone is noting that we are being challenged by the competition, it is scenarios like above that need to change.
Ryan Griffen, Adam Goodes had so so years however the Hawks allow these players to turn it all around and play back
to their best.

We need to be the hunter, not let the media circus affect us and cause carnage on the opposition.
Mitchell has been bashed around all year with little or small whimpers being returned by us.
It is time we picked our targets, hurt our opponents and restore equilibrium to the competition.

Our winning deeds may have made us complacent so that is why we must return to our primal instincts.
Being cute only wins you pageants but does not win you premierships.

MENTIONED IN THE pre-game fred how we needed to focus on shutting he & Parker down....By half time the damage had been done....Yet another symptom of just how remiss our coaching panel have become....First HEPPEL THEN BOAK & WARD....Wardrop needs to go....He is not doing his job.

i call bs, for some the race aspect may be there but im sure for a lot of people they just dont like the way he plays the game or certain other acts off field, same with selwood and his miling of high free kicks and a number of others. Or any other number of non racist reasons.

To assume that all booers are booing him is just pure ignorance. Its a stereotype that you are buying into. There is no ground to say that all people booing goodes or any other footballer are doing so on racial grounds. Sure some may be, but to automatically assume that all booers are racist is borderline racist in itself. It infers that all australians are racist which is frankly a ridiculous and insulting assumption. Having traveled around the world and spent a fair bit of time in a lot of different countries, Australians are some of the least racist and most concerned with not being racist that I've encountered. Your experience may be different and thats fine, but to infer/assume that we are all like that is insulting and frankly it is racist.

You are essentially saying that no one can boo a person of aboriginal descent for any reason but to boo others is ok? So we should treat aboriginals differently to all others? is that what you are saying? based on some made up assumptions?

If someone acts in a way that makes people want to boo them, then let those that wish to boo regardless of the colour of their skin, religion etc etc. That is equality. Wanting anything other than that is discrimination. Treating one group of people differently to others based on that difference is discrimination.

What I am saying is that I am a bit confused myself as to why I don't like him also and I think that all of us can very easily not recognise how having a black bloke strutting around trying to single handedly dictate public morals is an affront which we don't like to face. I'm certainly not saying people are telling themselves "he's black therefore I hate him". I think that the thought process is a lot more convoluted than that. I do think though that if we stood back and looked at who Adam Goodes was objectively we should probably admit to ourselves two things a. He has been a great footballer and b. He is helping to make a difference in the community. On those grounds alone it does seem a little difficult to justify why we would fixate on the comparatively minor negatives (that he exaggerates the occasional contact and or that he is seen to be self-serving). Bottom line is that he does good for both his club and community. I'm not sure it's justified that he has become the subject of our collective disgust given the above.

I would like to re-iterate that I am not setting myself apart from the anti-Goodes sentiments. Whilst I didn't boo him my immediate reaction to him is that he annoys me. I am just trying to face that re-action honestly and proportionally that's all.

As I posted elsewhere I think it may have become a way of saying "up yours" to the afl by booing one of their protected species. And the more the media get upset the harder those pushing back will boo.
Alternatively see it as like booing the villan at a pantomime. The afl has become similar to live theatre entertainment and less of a sport to many.

Astute observations.

What I am saying is that I am a bit confused myself as to why I don't like him also and I think that all of us can very easily not recognise how having a black bloke strutting around trying to single handedly dictate public morals is an affront which we don't like to face. I'm certainly not saying people are telling themselves "he's black therefore I hate him". I think that the thought process is a lot more convoluted than that. I do think though that if we stood back and looked at who Adam Goodes was objectively we should probably admit to ourselves two things a. He has been a great footballer and b. He is helping to make a difference in the community. On those grounds alone it does seem a little difficult to justify why we would fixate on the comparatively minor negatives (that he exaggerates the occasional contact and or that he is seen to be self-serving). Bottom line is that he does good for both his club and community. I'm not sure it's justified that he has become the subject of our collective disgust given the above.

I would like to re-iterate that I am not setting myself apart from the anti-Goodes sentiments. Whilst I didn't boo him my immediate reaction to him is that he annoys me. I am just trying to face that re-action honestly and proportionally that's all.

As I said a little while ago, I heard from someone who's met Adam that he's actually a top bloke off the footy field, and this from a Hawks supporter.

My reaction to this is the same as when I heard that Wingard isn't totally FIGJAM. To me, both of them are the same. I don't dislike them as people, I dislike them as footballers. Nothing more, nothing less.

"we boo him because it is our democratic right to voice disapproval for the flog of a bloke that he is"

WOW! get a life loser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back