Preview Hawks vs The Blue rabble that Bolts is inheriting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play for half a game then switch off in the second half to stay fresh. Should be enough to keep the 4 points.

play for half a game, up by 50 points, then play kick to kick to get Mitchell the record in possessions.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I think you're thinking of 2011 when we rested half the side then lost to Geelong in the QF. Result was bad though.

Rich v North should be on Friday night (assuming the ladder positions stay the same). A Richmond final in Melbourne should attract 70k+ (with 5k of those being North fans). Dogs v Adelaide on Saturday afternoon with WC likely to get the Sat night game.

The difficulty with the finals scheduling is that Freo play away on Saturday and that result could determine who finishes top. If we play Freo it could be on Sunday.

Having said all that, the AFL will look to disadvantage us the most so we'll probably play on Thursday night.

That would be the most corrupt scheduling of all time both QF should be played 1st as the 2 losers deserve the longer break ahead of the Semi Finals.

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Freeo get permission to rest half the their team because their 'fatigued'-don't know how its certainly not from kicking goals. Perhaps we should seek a similar exemption? Personally I'd rather be playing freeo in the first semi then a home prelim which we will win by the obligatory 3pts, then the GF.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Freeo get permission to rest half the their team because their 'fatigued'-don't know how its certainly not from kicking goals. Perhaps we should seek a similar exemption? Personally I'd rather be playing freeo in the first semi then a home prelim which we will win by the obligatory 3pts, then the GF.

They could forfeit for all I care. They have finished on top and want to win a flag. They can do whatever they like and should.

(Their actions, of course, influence TV and broadcast rights so the AFL feel obliged to have a say)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Even if we rested 11 we'd probably still beat Carlton.

I reckon Port would give Freo a shake anyway regardless of how many they rested.

Wundo

Club Legend
Feb 10, 2010
Melbourne - WA - Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Either way we will be flat against WC in the QF. Everytime we play a s**t side and belt them, the week after we look like that s**t we just belted. So either way, won't really matter this week. I want to believe that WC won't know what hit them, but at the moment, I just don't know.

As I said previously, we have had opportunities to secure mcg finals, but did not take them. So I can't see how this is going to change in the QF in perth? I hope I am wrong I really do, but at the moment, who knows?

the-sky-is-falling-2.jpg

I was thinking this the other day it would be a disaster for them not all of Perth can travel to the G they would want some of the Victorian public turning up....

Funny if they both made it, and nobody turned up for the GF Parade, or the teams even didn't turn up for it.

We Vics get a public holiday on the Friday regardless.

Friday Night. 6 Day break. Travel to WA.

Book it in
Correct
The Qualifying finals will be friday/saturday night due to there being two games in Perth.
I would be guessing we will play WC on the Saturday night.
Not a chance
Easier QF by losing? Hardly - we'd have to play the Friday night game against Freo and would be coming off a loss to one of the worst teams in the league who've been massacred by injuries. Not sure how that helps us.

And the last time we played Carlton it was a 'small' match and we ended up winning by a lazy 138 points.

Wholesale resting doesn't work - it is to be be done tactically.
Freo won't be playing Friday night as they are travelling to Adelaide on the Saturday.
WCE are playing in Perth on the sat, so they will be Friday night QF with Freo playing sat arvo QF.
Minor premiers are supposed to get best advantage. Most of the time.

TyHawk

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2013
Jupiter
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City
So some sides wanna rest players just before the finals and we have posters on here worried that our players will play but have a soft run into finals? I'm confused. The Swans game before the Blues game was very soft imo and we looked quite against the Blues on that night. Yea, they're s**t but 138 points?? We need to be as fresh as can be come the QF night as the ?Eagles will be looking to bring their A game with the backing of their feral supporters behind them! A huge first half is a MUST!!! So play Blues with a few rested but not all. Bruise free as possible so we are cherry ripe to go.

Bikefreak

Cancelled
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State, B.H.H. Perth Wildcats
Only players carrying something gets rested. Everyone else plays in a full dress rehearsal for the first final. Ease up after 3 quarter time
Play the game out though with purpose.
Only rest the battle weary (with niggles) and the injured.
Continuity has definitely been an issue for many of our players in 2015. Lots of interruptions.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That would be the most corrupt scheduling of all time both QF should be played 1st as the 2 losers deserve the longer break ahead of the Semi Finals.

Yeah I completely forgot about the match ups in the second week (probably because we haven't played in week 2 since 2011).

With Freo resting 11 players it looks like we will play them. WC/Syd should be Friday night as the loser will play Richmond/North who will play on Saturday. WB/Ade will play Sunday with the winner playing us or Freo on Saturday night.

The resting tactic worked for Freo in 2010 so will be interesting to see if we rest a few. Maybe Burgoyne and Lake but don't think it's Clarko's style.

Bruest could do with getting amongst the goals and would be good to see Hill continue on from last week.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yeah I completely forgot about the match ups in the second week (probably because we haven't played in week 2 since 2011).

With Freo resting 11 players it looks like we will play them. WC/Syd should be Friday night as the loser will play Richmond/North who will play on Saturday. WB/Ade will play Sunday with the winner playing us or Freo on Saturday night.

The resting tactic worked for Freo in 2010 so will be interesting to see if we rest a few. Maybe Burgoyne and Lake but don't think it's Clarko's style.

Bruest could do with getting amongst the goals and would be good to see Hill continue on from last week.

Hang on you have us playing Fremantle week 1 ? Freo will get smashed by Port but they can't lose No1 position regardless.

Can't be bruise free in the Blues match. Just look at Sydney last year to see what a soft run into a game does for you.

Crunch the Blues. 100 tackles. Carry that physicality across into the QF. Win. Then rest up over the week off.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Outs: Howe
Ins: Mitchell

Injury (or resting) notwithstanding, that's my predicted changes.

Give Pops another week to recover from what is probably a 'niggle injury' and get him fresh and firing for the finals so he can constantly apply pressure in the forward line. Howe stiff to be dropped, did nothing wrong, but Mitchell is an essential part of our team and despite the demolition of Brisbane I still felt like his ability to extract the ball and set up play without being caught is vital to our side.

Sicily should get another week in the Seniors, because 16 possessions and 2 goals (should have been 3) in only your second game of AFL Footy is a great effort. Admittedly, it was only against Brisbane but hey: Carlton aren't much better.

The real question is, come finals, who goes out for Hodge assuming that Sicily goes out for Puopolo? Langford, Duryea and Suckling are probably the ones on the cusp but: Langford was a wrecking ball against Brisbane and his presence was felt despite not getting much ball, Duryea was pretty much sublime and the team selection committee considers Suckling's kicking too much of a weapon to be dropped (and his form hasn't been too bad as of late). Hartung's another one you could throw in, but his run and carry shouldn't be underestimated and our side needs all the speed it can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back