Preview Hawks vs The Tigers : IN Lake, OUT Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One bad loss is just that. It was a poor day for the coach and selection committee in hindsight and from a number of players who have some out of brain freeze in the h&a rounds against Geelong. Let's not forgot the run and performances from the majority of these players before last week for the sake of knee jerking posting.

I'd like to see Lake play as I think at his stage of career he finds it hard to be a standout at VFL but knows what to do in the 1st and I rest Duryea for him. I think if Anderson is fit I would rest Hodge for this one. Simpkin to sub and off we go.

Richmond is an historically tough game for us and I wouldn't be resting anyone this week. Still need to bank a few more wins before we start preparing for the second half of the year and tinkering with who we freshen up. With the Saints next week and the bye a few weeks after that I think we are picking the best team available and going hell for leather this week. Or at least we should be.

B: Burgoyne Gibson Stratton
HB: Suckling Birchall Hodge
C: Smith Mitchell Hill
HF: Gunston Rioli
F: Hale Roughead Breust
Foll: McEvoy Langford Lewis
I/C from: Duryea Hallahan Simpkin Cheney Lake Schoenmakers Hartung

Edit: I copied this straight from the Hawks website. I assume it's Poppy missing from the forward flank.

Last edited:

B: Burgoyne Gibson Stratton
HB: Suckling Birchall Hodge
C: Smith Mitchell Hill
HF: Gunston Rioli
F: Hale Roughead Breust
Foll: McEvoy Langford Lewis
I/C from: Duryea Hallahan Simpkin Cheney Lake Schoenmakers Hartung

Edit: I copied this straight from the Hawks website. I assume it's Poppy missing from the forward flank.

Yes, Poppy is there according to the teams on the AFL website.

Love the blooding of young guys early in the season to see if they are able to contribute when the whips are cracking down the track. Langford has proven himself. Duryea, Cheney, Spangher are all maybes, Obrien looks like he needs more time. Now is Mr Hallahan and Hartungs time.

I am very confident that we will win this with or without Lake. Also hope Cheney is not dropped at all. Saw some of their matches including the one with Brisbane and they had no confidence although they won at the end. One thing I noticed was the backward movement each time they got the ball and with us if they do that they will get burned. Hawks By 30+. Mark my words...

Hartung (next week), Schoey (next week) and Cheney (stiff but not versatile enough) the emergencies for mine. We need Lake there this week to play on the resting ruck, be the loose in defence or be a target up forward and free Roughie up to play up the ground more. Too good of a player not to play when fit and available. Plus, he needs some AFL matches under his belt before we play Shitney (and he likely takes Buddy) in Round 8. I hope we see ruthless, wounded-pride Hawthorn this week. We should not lose to this mob again if we come ready to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brian! Schoey! Billy! Wowee!

Billy could easily get a game as the sub. Would love to see him and Hallahan both play on Sunday.

Bench of Cheney Schoenmakers Hallahan Hartgun pls

As bad as we played in the last two meets, they really did put on a show on both occasions. Too much easy supply out of the midfield, and they were just clunking every single goal. We need to be on our guard - it'll be great having Lake and perhaps Shooey back in the side.

i reckon schoey comes in plays forward lake comes in plays back and they could swap every now and then. The two going out would be really stiff. Cheney and well doc or simpkin
That is the recipe next time against Geelong but replace Schoey with Spang. I would like to see Lake forward regularly this season.

Isn't Lake way to valuable down back to be playing him forward?
Yes for most of the game he will play back but drift forward like he did in the finals last year to throw the proverbial CAT amongst the pidgeons

Lake and schoen will will play FB and chb
I don't buy the talk of one going forward
Those two have sensational foot skills, and having both in defence allows the likes of suckling and birchall to become the link men, rather than the release men, and the likes of hill and smith to play more attacking roles, rather than looking for the inside 50's

Those two have sensational foot skills, and having both in defence allows the likes of suckling and birchall to become the link men, rather than the release men, and the likes of hill and smith to play more attacking roles, rather than looking for the inside 50's

Sensational footskills?

Schoenmakers has pretty good footskills. Lake is average in this department.

Sensational footskills?

Schoenmakers has pretty good footskills. Lake is average in this department.

That's a massive myth
Lake is sensational with accurate, long kicks, as is schoenmakers
They aren't great with the short, precise passes to waste time, but here absolute weapons with their skills

This opens up the kick from fullback, enabling an accurate kick to 60-70m, and linking up to a running player, rather than going short to a pocket, and linking up to a flank

It changes the whole dynamic

Sensational footskills and Brian Lake are two things I've never linked together :confused: (Sensational marking, yes)

Last edited:
Sensational footskills and Brian Lake are two things I've never linked together :confused: (Sensational marking, yes)
That's the thing, how often have you seen him go long and direct, rather than go a short kick?
It rarely happens

Even last yr, we had a fairly unsettled back line, so lake never got to play to his strengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back