Preview Hawks vs The Tigers : IN Lake, OUT Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suckling like many players falters under extreme pressure.
He will be fine this week.

I can excuse Sucklings performance given that he is returning from a knee reco & therefore would not have full confidence back yet in regards the hard physical stuff & its impact upon his knee.....Others performances against the Cats, not so much.... Particularly the serial offenders.....Spooked, hesitant, panicky & reactive are words that come to mind; all symbolic of a lack of mettle!

Our game plan also seems to suffer when the elements are not at their best...Wind & rain seem to take their toll & tax our precision ball retention causing more turn overs than usual....another real worry of mine....Lets hope its a better day weather wise against the Tigers, or that the players & Clarko have learnt to take it more into consideration re tactics on the day! Especially when coming out of defence!

There is no way that in an elite sporting environment like the HFC could a starting 22 player get away with being overweight.
He would simply never get a game.

I can excuse Sucklings performance given that he is returning from a knee reco & therefore would not have full confidence back yet in regards the hard physical stuff & its impact upon his knee.....Others performances against the Cats, not so much.... Particularly the serial offenders.....Spooked, hesitant, panicky & reactive are words that come to mind; all symbolic of a lack of mettle!

Our game plan also seems to suffer when the elements are not at their best...Wind & rain seem to take their toll & tax our precision ball retention causing more turn overs than usual....another real worry of mine....Lets hope its a better day weather wise against the Tigers, or that the players & Clarko have learnt to take it more into consideration re tactics on the day! Especially when coming out of defence!

All absolutely true.
The reason why Suckers will be better this week is because the pressure from the Tiges will be nothing like we experienced on Monday.
Even if Hardwick was good enough to coach that way, his cattle cant deliver it.
He will have more time and space this week like he did against the Suns.

In: Anderson, Ceglar, Shoenmakers, Sewell, Lake, Sicily, Woodard and Hartung.
Out: Suckling, Hodge, Simpkin, Roughead, Lewis, Rioli, Birchall and McEvoy.

Ring the changes we are a sinking ship!!!

If we had a bigger list and I could changed more I would have!

Wow.
Its Wednesday and you still aren't over it?

All absolutely true.
The reason why Suckers will be better this week is because the pressure from the Tiges will be nothing like we experienced on Monday.
Even if Hardwick was good enough to coach that way, his cattle cant deliver it.
He will have more time and space this week like he did against the Suns.

I'm not as confident as you about it....More especially given that they have had a 10 day break in comparison to our 6 days.....Massive advantage in terms of recovery!

I'm not as confident as you about it....More especially given that they have had a 10 day break in comparison to our 6 days.....Massive advantage in terms of recovery!

My only concern really.

Thought he looked fine when I saw him a couple of weeks ago at Box Hill, didn't look any fatter to me.

Really? Have a look at footage of him at the beginning of his hawk career...the higher fat isn't necessarily a huge issue, but any useless weight slightly increases risk of injury, particularly calfs etc

Last year we played WCE after the Round 1 Cats loss, we had a 6 day break and the Eagles had 10 and we smashed them. Some reckon the longer break is not ideal.

Certainly I wonder if the longer break before the cats game may have left us a little rustier than usual. Of course the pressure applied by our opponents contributed, as did the weather. Hopefully this weeks game has less wind.

Hallanhan gets a full game and Simpkin to sub - felt that a lot of his kicks seemed to float/ hang leaving recipient flat footed and cats player would come in to spoil. He has form playing well as sub also.

Hallanhan gets a full game and Simpkin to sub - felt that a lot of his kicks seemed to float/ hang leaving recipient flat footed and cats player would come in to spoil. He has form playing well as sub also.

I'd leave Simpkin in the 21, thought he was alright on the weekend.

Bigger picture - Simpkin is an 'almost player' at the moment, and has only played 20 odd games. His biggest weakness is his decision making, or composure with the footy. If we can expedite that development, we have another AFL level mid to rotate through and add to our mix. Even if he goes back to the sub role at the business end of the season, he should be a better player. He probably will frustrate and make mistakes, but so does every player under 50 games, the guy needs gametime and we'll be better off in the longer term.

I'd give Hallahan a full game too, agree with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Anderson, Ceglar, Shoenmakers, Sewell, Lake, Sicily, Woodard and Hartung.
Out: Suckling, Hodge, Simpkin, Roughead, Lewis, Rioli, Birchall and McEvoy.

Ring the changes we are a sinking ship!!!

If we had a bigger list and I could changed more I would have!

You've forgotten:

Out: A Clarkson (Box Hill Runner)

In: Jeff Kennett (Head Coach)

Keep them coming!

Pretty sure he got a knock early . He stayed down on his haunches for a while. I noticed it too.
He certainly was buggered after that 120m sprint from the fullback line to chase down & affect the kick of a Cats defender. I think in the 2nd Quarter? Was on his haunches for a bit after that.

Wasn't his greatest game by a long stretch, but it's that sort of huge running that elevates Jr above others who may be having a crap game - he can always do (& always does) that sort of 1%-er which makes him a big team player, even when he's not hitting the scoreboard or whatever.

Thought I'd better wait until the disappointment of Monday had abated so that I could make balanced judgements and it seems that some other people on here may have benefitted from doing the same. Not saying that it wasn't disappointing that many players again wilted under the Geelong pressure, but some of the calls that have been made on here are ridiculous.

The response from the players who were down last week (Rioli, Rough, Lewis, Hodge pre 4th quarter, Suckling in particular) will be telling. If these guys don't stand in another big game this week then it may be justified to call for some of them to be dropped. Hopefully, the lose on Monday will put a rocket up some players who were maybe getting ahead of themselves after the first few rounds. It's better to have a lose like that early than learn the hard lessons in the finals.

Last year, we demolished WCE after a loss on Easter Monday and we never looked back and I get the feeling this week will be the same.

Cotchin was in doubt earlier in the week (not sure if this is still the case), they are already down Lids, Maric and Rance and they were far from impressive against a poor BL side last week. Any complacency should now be gone and I'm expecting a much better performance and the end of our two game losing streak against the Tigers.

Stick with the blokes who performed well in Rounds 1-4 and make significant changes if we play poorly again this week:

Ins: Lake
Outs: Cheney (did a decent job on Hawkins and was not helped by the mids, but he is not a KPD)
Sub: Suckling (Hallahan to play a full game)

Langford to run with Cotchin (if he plays), Stratts to play on Martin and Poppy on Houli.

In lake and shoe to rotate fwd and back like at box hill

Out mcevoy and someone with niggles/poor form

Rough to get some touch as relief ruck and ruck rover

Gibson to get a lighter load

Theres still the option to sub off a tall for a runner later in the game, but height got us last week esp in a 3:20 timeslot

Gee you can have some fun with the depth weve got !

Last edited:
Ins: Lake
Outs: Cheney (did a decent job on Hawkins and was not helped by the mids, but he is not a KPD)

So we have been short backmen all year but you would bring one in and leave one out?
Both Cheney and Lake can play in the same side.

Have to laugh at everyone wanting Schoey back in the team all of a sudden, never heard him mentioned previously as a possible IN then we get beaten by the Cats and now everyone wants him back :rolleyes: I don't think he'll be back this week, I think they are keen to get a few more games into him at Box Hill. Form wise I think he played his best at Box Hill in the first week and from all reports he didn't so anything special on Saturday night (but I didn't actually see that match) but it might be less about form and more about match fitness. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see him back but I find it amusing that all of a sudden after one loss we desperately need him.

I think Lake is a possible IN this week as he now has a full match at Box Hill under his belt and he would be an automatic selection when ready. Not sure who I would leave out though.

Once again, changes will be kept to a minimum.

So we have been short backmen all year but you would bring one in and leave one out?
Both Cheney and Lake can play in the same side.

If Cheney could play on small/mid zippy forwards then yes he could play alongside Lake. We now have our premiership key defenders available plus Birch and Duryea (who was one of the few to stand up for 4 quarters last week) plus Hodge, Burgoyne and Suckers all available. As much as I admire how well Cheney has battled, he can't cover the smaller forwards, whereas Duryea has the tools. Richmond played small and quick in their forward line last week and with Stratts able to play tall or small I see Cheney as excess this week. I'm not sure if the coaches will agree but we'll see this evening.

I think Clarko should think about playing Pouoppolo on Rievoldt, I got a good feeling about it :)
Possible danger game, or we will destroy them, one or the other. Probably the later.

I think Poppy in the ruck. Drop McEvoy (Broken Nail) and Hale (Paper cut) because Clarkson has said that he would rather lose a game than lose a player and then if we were to lose, we could bag the s**t out of Pop and Clarkson for keeping him in the ruck. Then call for Luke Lowden to come in........Wow, cant wait!

I have to laugh at some posts, and sometimes wonder if we are all being dead set or just taking the piss..

Have I read right about Mitchel being fat?
Simpkin in the 21 ahead of Suckling?
Simpkin playing well on Monday?
Dropping Mcevoy after 1 game coming back from injury?

Anyone would think we are a basket case.

I can't see why we would make whole sale changes, we all know we have significant ins when all are fit but at this stage for Clarko to change a whole lot would be crazy.

In - Lake
Out - Cheney

Sub - Simpkin

When Jedi is back he needs to play a few in the 2s and get him in asap and give Schoey 1 more week down at Box Hill and slot him in as our Ben Reid swing man. Hartung is also racking them at Box Hill, if he has a few more games like the weekend and a spot opens up throw him in! Litherland and Wanganeen both disappointing at the lower level, not sure why we should continue to try and develop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back