Preview Hawks vs $wans - Changes & Discussion. Light refreshments and Cola being served.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinner Plate

Cancelled
Apr 30, 2012
*scum are drug cheats
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last time Sh!tney went tall, they rotated their forwards so often in the early going that our backs seemed confused. That allowed the Stains a break on us.

But that game was won and lost in the midfield. So will Saturday's game.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Who do we reckon will get the sub vest?
In order of likeliness:

Woodward: first gamers tend to get the sub vest.

Simpkin: super-sub.

Langford: named 4th on the bench.

Other?
Will be woody
I've seen him a few times, he attacks the ball like poppy, but seems to lack that endurance, and spends more time on the pine later in he games

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also this Sydney side has three changes from the one that annihilated Geelong. Hanneberry, Shaw & Derickxx out for Towers, Rohan & Pyke. It's a little weaker for sure and not at the MCG but any team with 19/22 players which can decimate Geelong deservce to be treated with caution.

I few mitigating factors there. Geelong limped into that one off a 2 consecutive breaks the last one also travelling from WA. $wans had just had the week off. You could tell Geelong were off from the first bounce.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last time Sh!tney went tall, they rotated their forwards so often in the early going that our backs seemed confused. That allowed the Stains a break on us.

But that game was won and lost in the midfield. So will Saturday's game.

Mate, it was actually the other way around. Our back rotated on the forwards, it was happening so constantly you could tell the players were never comfortable, it had very little to do with what Sydney were doing, it was coming from our end. Every time Buddy was deep Schoey had him, every time Buddy was 30-40 out Gibbo stood him, every time Buddy went up the ground Stratts would go with him. I personally would hate doing that, players like to know who they have so they can prepare, chopping and changing I don't feel works. I think you will see guys will rotate on their forwards but it will be far far far less frequent.

Glasgow Hawk

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Celtic FC, Toronto Maple Leafs
Thanks for the edit Wundo but I'm not impressed at all the fact that they have won 12 in a row.
We have had winning streaks too and more than likely against better opposition.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mate, it was actually the other way around. Our back rotated on the forwards, it was happening so constantly you could tell the players were never comfortable, it had very little to do with what Sydney were doing, it was coming from our end. Every time Buddy was deep Schoey had him, every time Buddy was 30-40 out Gibbo stood him, every time Buddy went up the ground Stratts would go with him. I personally would hate doing that, players like to know who they have so they can prepare, chopping and changing I don't feel works. I think you will see guys will rotate on their forwards but it will be far far far less frequent.
We always play like that. That is why Shoey ended up on Robinson for his first two goals against Carlton. Opposition try to use the way we play against us to create mismatches. We adjusted not long after shoey went back and it settled down but that left Gibbo on buddy more often than not which didn't work for us.

I can't help but think that Clarko recognises our backline might be our weakness for this game - for the same reason Sydney have gone tall. So he's going to win it in the midfield, which will be helped by bringing in Woodward. The boy will be given some free reign probably, being his first game. Let's hope he can be the difference and we can choke the supply to the Sydney forwards. Has anyone ever had a best on in a first game?

Johnny Platten. I remember it well... a cloudy day yet no rain, autumnal weather had only just begun, and Waverley Park was beckoning in the April sunshine. Lo and behold, the Hawks, who had been struggling for a classy, pacy rover for a couple of years had found it in spades, wrapped in gold.

And brown. But I digress.

Geez, I'm hoping they don't make Woody the sub, but we all know Clarko - thy will be done.

diggydig

All Australian
May 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was at the game behind the goals at the Hawks scoring end for Q1 and I can only remember the ball entering our 50 once or twice in the first 15 mins or so, and it was sent straight out again. No backline can absorb that pressure, and we were just lucky they were innaccurate. We had decided to play Shoe in the forward line initially, betting on us winning some clearances, but were forced to shift him back midway through the first. My thoughts on that day were that we really missed Sewel against teams that play the rolling maul, someone strong enough to make the tackles stick, and tire out their midfielders in close so that they are less accurate when they do get a disposal, and we missed the calming influence of Mitch and Hodgey.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just need a good start. All our losses have had the same pattern. Really poor start, then we have woken up and fought back to be even or close around 3/4 time then they have kicked away to win by 2-3 goals. If we don't have to play catch up we should be able to get away and win pretty comfortably.

JustKickIt

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for the edit Wundo but I'm not impressed at all the fact that they have won 12 in a row.
We have had winning streaks too and more than likely against better opposition.
Correct. How many a team wins in a row is meaningless whilst we have an uneven afl draw. (Although our great journos havent realised that yet, or choose to ignore that fact).

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Swans are acting all cocky for this game, GOOD, we will probably win, the question is how many points do we need to win by to end up on top of the ladder?

we shouldve beaten both sydney and port earlier in the year, had them on their backs early in the last, we were in front against sydney only to cop injuries to key guys and have no rotations on the bench for the last for them to eek theirs wins, we play well and have no injuries we should win this in a cake-walk......

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Just need a good start. All our losses have had the same pattern. Really poor start, then we have woken up and fought back to be even or close around 3/4 time then they have kicked away to win by 2-3 goals. If we don't have to play catch up we should be able to get away and win pretty comfortably.
Yup. Having to spend all our petrol tickets in the 2nd/3rd to get ourselves back into the match is a recipe for disaster. We seem to do well when we have the legs late in the game such that our class shines through.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

another pattern has been losing good players at 3/4 time, Gibson/Lake/McEvoy/Rioli ect

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Remember we played Collingwood in 2012 on a winning streak of 10 or so in 2012 and it was supposed to be a 50/50 but if you broke down the wins it wasn't that impressive, I said we'd win easily and we did.

This is similar, the Swans are a better side than that team but these 12 wins haven't been that impressive other than the Geelong win and even that had the Cats on 3 6 day breaks. They beat Freo at home when Freo were playing poorly, They beat us at about 60% strength also at home and just beat Port, also at home, who have barely won a game in the last 6. Their hardest away game has been Richmond and they only won that thanks to the umps.

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Norwood Redlegs
Johnny Platten. I remember it well... a cloudy day yet no rain, autumnal weather had only just begun, and Waverley Park was beckoning in the April sunshine. Lo and behold, the Hawks, who had been struggling for a classy, pacy rover for a couple of years had found it in spades, wrapped in gold.

And brown. But I digress.

Geez, I'm hoping they don't make Woody the sub, but we all know Clarko - thy will be done.
The Rat had a few good seasons at SANFL level first though. But gee, he was one of my favorites from about 86 - 92 or so. He was a legend. if there was a pack, he was bottom man under it. Dunstall owes half his goals to delivery from the Rat and the other half to a combination of Pritchard, Morrisey, Anderson and Condon...among others

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have really missed Brad Hill. Champion data stat; He's the number one player in the competition for retained meters gained in the forward half. Hits the target 75% on the time.

It's almost his trademark now isn't it. Run hard along the boundary and snap the kick across goal for a pass. Think Hill to Gunston in the GF.

Sometimes I think he makes the kick a little too difficult but such an amazing stat that he is giving the forwards a good look at them.

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Remember we played Collingwood in 2012 on a winning streak of 10 or so in 2012 and it was supposed to be a 50/50 but if you broke down the wins it wasn't that impressive, I said we'd win easily and we did.

This is similar, the Swans are a better side than that team but these 12 wins haven't been that impressive other than the Geelong win and even that had the Cats on 3 6 day breaks. They beat Freo at home when Freo were playing poorly, They beat us at about 60% strength also at home and just beat Port, also at home, who have barely won a game in the last 6. Their hardest away game has been Richmond and they only won that thanks to the umps.

The $wans played the HAWKS off 3 6 day breaks.

They then played Geelongs off 2 6 day breaks whilst Geelong were coming back from WA and $wans coming off the bye.

$wans have received some ridiculous advantages from the AFL its not just who they play, its when they play and where they play.

Last time we played we were struck down by injury, started slowly and still made them sh!t themselves for a narrow win. This time we have a stronger team and we're at home. Looking forward to this...

Let the blood (or cola) flow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back