Hawthorn 1989 vs Melbourne 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

People do realise that while elite performances have improved markedly, records kept by schools to the general fitness of kids ( running times etc )indicate the kids of a couple of decades ago were fitter across the board ?

People do realise that while elite performances have improved markedly, records kept by schools to the general fitness of kids ( running times etc )indicate the kids of a couple of decades ago were fitter across the board ?
Cause kids are generally fatter these days.

I'm not seeing the relevance to this debate.

Dont get your point. What difference would the year be if you take the current team as they are anyway? You think the value of nutritionists and fitness staff is to be at the game on gameday?

Just trying to quantify the difference. People have already alluded to the umpires approach to the game.

Now the game is so much less thuggish we have players today who wouldnt have stepped on a footy field back then for all the tea in china

Maybe the whole thing could be debated with Michael tuck as a sme on 1970s and 1980s and Dustin fletcher on the 1990s 2000s

Just trying to quantify the difference. People have already alluded to the umpires approach to the game.

Now the game is so much less thuggish we have players today who wouldnt have stepped on a footy field back then for all the tea in china

Maybe the whole thing could be debated with Michael tuck as a sme on 1970s and 1980s and Dustin fletcher on the 1990s 2000s

I see what you mean, the more lenient view on thuggery of the 80s would open Melbourne up to an enormous amount of intimidation from the Hawks.

I concede that point, certainly possible it could change the outcome.

Melbourne would win quite easily. Anyone who says otherwise is seriously underestimating the difference between the game then and the game now.

Hawthorn would have no idea how to cope with any of today's tactics and they'd be absolutely exposed by the oppositions fitness and the ridiculous number of interchanges. In fact, most of the things the Melbourne team were doing would be so completely baffling to them their heads would probably explode trying to comprehend what was going on.

I see what you mean, the more lenient view on thuggery of the 80s would open Melbourne up to an enormous amount of intimidation from the Hawks.

I'd agree that the difference in physicality would bring it a bit closer. Hawthorn would use it to good effect I'd imagine. Half of them wouldn't be playing the next week under the current system, but it wouldn't matter.

Yes the melbourne players would be putting all that fitness to good use

Actually this weeks hawks sydney game could be a bit of an insight too. Sydney have beefed up their players and the hawks have prepared them more toned

Sydney are the ones spending 10 to 20% than the next team more as the hawks were doing in the early nineties ( we stole platten off carlton apparently)

Sydney are more likely to seek out the boundary line which was a feature of the game back then that afficionados conveniently forget hawks use the running structures more

So hawks by a lazy ten ? Sounds easy

Are players really that significantly fitter these days? We've gone from having around 10 interchanges a game back then to 110 now. Are the quick burst then off mids nowadays that much fitter than guys like Platten, Dipper, Buckenara etc. who'd have the stamina to stay on and play 100% game time?

Every player in the league would have the stamina to play 100% gametime without any issues if the game was being played at the pace and intensity that it was in 1989.

I cannot believe the even spread of opinion here. We're talking about a team from 25 years ago.
Melbourne would smash them...so obvious that i'm not sure its even debatable!

I mentioned before that a defender filled the hole in front of a leading forward back then, look out. Now its the forward who makes the adjustment. Maybe thats when flooding started.
I dont personally call what the forward did as thuggery, more obstruction from the defender

This argument is getting made quite a lot, and I don't really agree with it at all. Do people think that every player these days is a cleanskin with no mongrel in them at all? Yes, the hawks were a very physical side to the point of thuggery, but they were allowed to be. Teams these days aren't. If you suddenly turn the rules off then there would be plenty of modern players who would be incredibly intimidating.

I cannot believe the even spread of opinion here. We're talking about a team from 25 years ago.
Melbourne would smash them...so obvious that i'm not sure its even debatable!

Its one of the most mentally tough teams of all time versus one of the most mentally weak. Of all time really !

Its muddying the waters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This argument is getting made quite a lot, and I don't really agree with it at all. Do people think that every player these days is a cleanskin with no mongrel in them at all? Yes, the hawks were a very physical side to the point of thuggery, but they were allowed to be. Teams these days aren't. If you suddenly turn the rules off then there would be plenty of modern players who would be incredibly intimidating.

Did you miss the melbourne fc 2014 bit ?

OK, but isn't the premise of the exercise to pit the best team from 1989 against the worst team from 2014?

I think Melbourne would win, I just don't see how any team from the 80s could stand up to the pace of the game today. Those of you that think Hawthorn would win should go back and look at a replay of a game played in the late 80s, it was still very stop start footy.

Todays footy does not stop, it pings from one end to the other and it is hard to see how a team with 80s fitness could keep up with a team of today.

Not to mention that todays footballers are basically full time professionals and their skills are way up on players of the 80s. Close to quarter time then probably a blow out.

I read it a s superior preperation, tactics and fitness as meaning everything is better than 25 years ago.

It seem like you have to take "everything into account too"

One think out of the hawks recently is amos frank was disadvantaged too much by language to absorb hawthorns game plans etc. theres obviously much more emphasis on that these days.

Though I note soccer is quite a subtle game and they dont have a problem with players of different languages

Did you miss the melbourne fc 2014 bit ?

You don't think guys like Dawes, Dunn, Jamar, Tyson, Tapscott, Pedersen and Jones have any mongrel in them? Hell, Bernie Vince took a cheap shot at Kane Cornes and probably would have taken his head off if there weren't 1000 cameras and the prospect of a lengthy suspension on the cards.

I'm not saying that Melbourne 2014 are more physical than Hawthorn 1989, not at all. But the idea that Melbourne wouldn't be able to defend themselves in any way is a bit ridiculous.

It has to work both ways, the OP asked us to ignore the minor rule changes??? and have the Hawks as they were in 1989 play Melbourne today in this new sport called AFL under this new sports rules.
It may give Melbourne a silly chance.
But how about we play the game and the rules as they were in 1989, now lets see how many melbourne blokes run back and sit in the hole knowing they could get seriously hurt. Lets see how many Melbourne blokes take a mark knowing that they can seriously be spoilt and they won't get a free kick.
Todays Melbourne or any side would be in Counselling before half time, they would all be in tears at half time. They would need a team of doctors to give them all a pain killer shot to just return to the field for the second half. And I am not talking anything out of the ordinary just real tough every day footy. By the end of the first quarter they would be to scared to pick up the footy, let alone be able to hit a target which by the way even these days they are not that great at. Hawks would smash them.

Play under todays uncontested rules, then Melbourne would have a chance.
Athletes have never beaten footballers and I think the same here.

I think Melbourne would win, I just don't see how any team from the 80s could stand up to the pace of the game today. Those of you that think Hawthorn would win should go back and look at a replay of a game played in the late 80s, it was still very stop start footy.

Todays footy does not stop, it pings from one end to the other and it is hard to see how a team with 80s fitness could keep up with a team of today.

Not to mention that todays footballers are basically full time professionals and their skills are way up on players of the 80s. Close to quarter time then probably a blow out.

Lost count of the times the hawks would kick to jarman beyond the press and hed casually beat his man, and hit dunstall on the chest

Ball went from end to end pretty damn quick. If they did it today itd be called slingshot footy also remember waverley park was a good but bigger than some grounds today

I'm not saying that Melbourne 2014 are more physical than Hawthorn 1989, not at all. But the idea that Melbourne wouldn't be able to defend themselves in any way is a bit ridiculous.

Well also players today are so much stronger and bigger than they were 25 years ago. If Hawks of 89 went the physical route they would come off second best.

I read it a s superior preperation, tactics and fitness as meaning everything is better than 25 years ago.

It seem like you have to take "everything into account too"

That's what it does mean, but there is no point wondering if Hawthorn 2014 could beat Richmond 1989, because they could do that if you banned them from exercising or touching a footy for 12 months.

The idea of this sort of thread is to argue that overall fitness, skills and tactics have evolved so much that the worst sides from 2014 (even Brisbane and St Kilda) could comfortably account for the best sides in 1989.

Lost count of the times the hawks would kick to jarman beyond the press and hed casually beat his man, and hit dunstall on the chest

Ball went from end to end pretty damn quick. If they did it today itd be called slingshot footy also remember waverley park was a good but bigger than some grounds today

No it didn't. There were passages of end to end footy but 90% of the game was one on one and traditional positional play. Go back and have a look. Players skills were no where near what they are today, they were smaller and they were never trained for speed.

The 89 Hawks would put aup an account of themselves beacaues they are one of the all time great teams but they would be pretty easily beaten.

Except now the guy kicking to Jarman has 3 guys on him and is being forced onto his wrong side and tackled as he kicks it (and his skill level is pretty average anyway), and Jarman has to deal with his man bodying him out and another guy coming in as the chop out, and if the ball hits the ground, the Melbourne players area already all over it. If Jarman does get the ball, he looks up and there are two guys on Dunstall plus a zone set up everywhere he might like to lead, with a 202cm 105kg ruckman sitting in his leading space in the corridor.

It was quick for the time. Compared to today's footy it's a snails pace and the skills are deplorable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back