Opinion Hawthorn: An Unhealthy Obsession?

Remove this Banner Ad

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As I sit here deep in the off season prowling the boards for some fresh posts and manically checking that my alert notifications are updating properly, I sometimes wonder how healthy my love of Hawthorn actually is. To quantify it, I have probably watched the 2014 grand final in full 20+ times and the 2nd qtr highlights many more time than that again. The 2008GF, 2013PF, 2013GF are in a similar category with the 2013PF, 2012PF, 2007EF, 2008PF not far behind. I also have the radio commentaries of the 2014GF on a USB stick in my car which I listen to on loop whenever I am driving anywhere. It is at a point where I am not sure I am even listening to the game any more but the sound of the call is sort of soothing background noise which is preferable to music.

My very sympathetic girlfriend thinks I am completely over the top and often gets upset with me for being "anti-social" by preferring to be on my computer (Bigfooty) than spending time with or interacting with her. I try to explain to her that the Hawks give me so much intense pleasure and that surely that cant be a bad thing which she begrudgingly accepts.

At the end of 2013, after reflecting on this, I made a new years resolution that I should be satisfied with our level of success and that I should focus a little less on the footy in season 2014. I had a vision of watching the games once and not following everything up obsessively online afterwards. That was definitively the most unsuccessful resolution in history. I think i was more pre-occupied with footy in 2014 than I have ever been. Now, one year on, all I can think about is season 2015 and the 3-peat. :confused:

So I guess the point of the thread is to see to what extent everyone else obsesses over the club and also whether or not you question if your love of footy negatively impacts other aspects of your lives - relationship, social, job (I'm pretty sure I would be a lot richer if I didn't follow Hawthorn!).

Should we just give ourselves over to the obsessive aspects of our personalities and make the club the single most important thing in our lives? Or, should we manage the obsession in the interest of a better-rounded more balanced lifestyle? What do you think?

Last edited:
They were 17 long years between 1991 - 2008. Whilst we'll be in the mix for a few years yet, you'll no doubt have time post-2020 when you can focus on family etc.

Until then...

Sorry mate but I had to stop reading about half way to say "you're *ing obsessed mate". I near lost it around about the girlfriend bit 'the Hawks give me so much intense pleasure', lmao. I'll take a few deep breaths & continue the read.

As I sit here deep in the off season prowling the boards for some fresh posts and manically checking that my alert notifications are updating properly, I sometimes wonder how healthy my love of Hawthorn actually is. To quantify it, I have probably watched the 2014 grand final in full 20+ times and the 2nd qtr highlights many more time than that again. The 2008GF, 2013PF, 2013GF are in a similar category with the 2013PF, 2012PF, 2007EF, 2008PF not far behind. I also have the radio commentaries of the 2014GF on a USB stick in my car which I listen to on loop whenever I am driving anywhere. It is at a point where I am not sure I am even listening to the game any more but the sound of the call is sort of soothing background noise which is preferable to music.

My very sympathetic girlfriend thinks I am completely over the top and often gets upset with me for being "anti-social" by preferring to be on my computer (Bigfooty) than spending time with or interacting with her. I try to explain to her that the Hawks give me so much intense pleasure and that surely that cant be a bad thing which she begrudgingly accepts.

At the end of 2013, after reflecting on this, I made a new years resolution that I should be satisfied with our level of success and that I should focus a little less on the footy in season 2014. I had a vision of watching the games once and not following everything up obsessively online afterwards. That was definitively the most unsuccessful resolution in history. I think i was more pre-occupied with footy in 2014 than I have ever been. Now, one year on, all I can think about is season 2015 and the 3-peat. :confused:

So I guess the point of the thread is to see to what extent everyone else obsesses over the club and also whether or not you question if your love of footy negatively impacts other aspects of your lives - relationship, social, job (I'm pretty sure I would be a lot richer if I didn't follow Hawthorn!).

Should we just give ourselves over to the obsessive aspects of our personalities and make the club the single most important thing in our lives? Or, should we manage the obsession in the interest of a better-rounded more balanced lifestyle? What do you think?

I hear you mate, the amount of time I spend rejoicing in our greatness isn't healthy. But f**k it, enjoy it while it lasts I say.
I just got back from a month backpacking in India, and those grand final broadcasts were perfect for those long train journeys. And for going to sleep to at night. The gym too is a great place to give it a listen. And while eating in a restaurant. Nah maybe not that far... But if i did have a car I'm sure i'd be listening to 2013 prelim etc all the time. I'm also a cricket nut, so I find things are slowing down a bit re watching the replay, but with that said - i only watched it two days ago!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's that unhealthy to follow a sports team religiously.

Just don't take certain rivalries to heart and storm Essendon/Geelong/Sydney HQ and take hostages, leave it to the players to annhiliate them on match day instead :D.

Before we knocked the Cats off for good, I use to have visions of myself walking into their change-rooms with a suicide belt strapped to my waist, putting my arms around Selwood & Johnson & letting her rip!....s**t, if Clarko & the boys couldn't get the job done, then I was going to do it myself....I,m O.K Now!;)

Get your girlfriend a Hawks guernsey, tell her to wear it and nothing else and then show her the best night of her life. If she still isn't satisfied then at least you still have the 2014 GF DVD.

Before we knocked the Cats off for good, I use to have visions of myself walking into their change-rooms with a suicide belt strapped to my waist, putting my arms around Selwood & Johnson & letting her rip!....s**t, if Clarko & the boys couldn't get the job done, then I was going to do it myself....I,m O.K Now!;)

Get your girlfriend a Hawks guernsey, tell her to wear it and nothing else and then show her the best night of her life. If she still isn't satisfied then at least you still have the 2014 GF DVD.

rofl.gif

I'm no where near your level of obsession, but living here in the US probably is the modifier...:D
I do check this site multiple times a day, always check the aged and herald daily for hawk and other footy articles, and its fair to say I could get more useful things done.
But Hawthorn gives so much to me, and I squeeze the look-ins to times when I'm not needed by wife or kids.
I'm also a collector, sports memorabilia mainly, and for years that stole at least 3 or 4 hours of my every day (for 3-4 years almost 8 or 9 hours), so I feel better now that my obsession is more restricted and affordable.

I do think you might be over doing it - perhaps avoiding some things that might otherwise be stressful in your life, and come your end you want to have tasted as much of life as you could get in. HFC will only get you 90% there! ;)

I don't know if it's healthy or not, but I consider my love for Hawthorn (and watching sport in general) a hobby, just as anyone that played I dunno Warhammer, built planes, reviewed restaurants, would consider that a hobby.

I love reading forums, doing dream team s**t and listening to sports podcasts, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, but I've certainly made a conscious effort over the last 12 months to not let it take as much of an emotional toll on me (it's been helped by the fact I'm living overseas).

As a musician and music obsessive, this is the only part of your post that I view as unreasonable...

I have watched repeats of many games over the past few months, but the 2014 really stands out. Having started my second book, I find when writers block stricks me, the best way to get inspiration is to watch a quarter of the mighty Hawks. So far it's worked every time. If this is an obsession, then I'm obsessed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back