Hawthorn - awesome but flaky...

Remove this Banner Ad

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love watching the hawks, and when someone asks me who I think will win the flag I say the hawks are the best team and I reckon they'll do it. But there is absolutely no confidence in that statement.

I watched them start well but kick poorly - OK, every team does that. But they just went missing for about a quarter and a bit, and what's worse they've done it on numerous times during big games in the past few years. Geelong a few times, Sydney twice this year and GF 2012, and a few other games against good sides.

It's a game of momentum and I know that will change within a game but the hawks seem like they are the best, most potent team that i can remember - and then in the same game they switch off for a long period and get smashed all around the ground.

What the **** happens to this team? Are they too good that they just get flaky every now and again? Or is there something fundamentally wrong with their coaching/game play etc.

OP is spot on. At our best we're awesome. Yet when we lose the contested ball, we seem to get dominated in that area.
Which leaves us terribly exposed in the one on ones down back. I think our run helps us hugely over the course of a whole game , but our fade outs are a big worry.
We need Lake back, and a massive finals campaign from our mids.

It is such a ridiculous statement when you think about it. Where were Sydney when we kicked 7 goals in the third quarter? In a close game between two great teams, there will always be ebbs and flows, and to try and say that is Hawthorn specific is just naive.

I don't think it is ridiculous, I think the difference between Hawthorn's best and worst within a game is significant - doesn't mean they won't win the game, or a flag, just that for a great team they are a bit flaky.

Rest assured i will be one of their biggest supporters vocally come September - there's a significant financial incentive that i'm happier about after tonight's game. It's just an observation.

I love watching the hawks, and when someone asks me who I think will win the flag I say the hawks are the best team and I reckon they'll do it. But there is absolutely no confidence in that statement.

I watched them start well but kick poorly - OK, every team does that. But they just went missing for about a quarter and a bit, and what's worse they've done it on numerous times during big games in the past few years. Geelong a few times, Sydney twice this year and GF 2012, and a few other games against good sides.

It's a game of momentum and I know that will change within a game but the hawks seem like they are the best, most potent team that i can remember - and then in the same game they switch off for a long period and get smashed all around the ground.

What the **** happens to this team? Are they too good that they just get flaky every now and again? Or is there something fundamentally wrong with their coaching/game play etc.

I guess it take a toll playing like kings and you just can't keep it up for 4 quarters. What the Hawks did very well was limit the opposition during their period of dominance and then burst during their own. Same thing happened against Adelaide.

I don't think it is ridiculous, I think the difference between Hawthorn's best and worst within a game is significant - doesn't mean they won't win the game, or a flag, just that for a great team they are a bit flaky.

Rest assured i will be one of their biggest supporters vocally come September - there's a significant financial incentive that i'm happier about after tonight's game. It's just an observation.

Again, i'm not saying Hawthorn aren't inconsistent from siren to siren, but we aren't really any better or worse than teams like Sydney, Geelong, Freo or Port. Perhaps the only thing i would say is that our defence isn't particularly strong one on one, so when a team is winning it out of the middle consistently, we struggle a bit more. But that is more a game style thing than an inconsistency thing.

Their midfield is great but very even, Lewis is now the best player and they rely on a mix of skill, run and hard stuff. Their backline can be susceptible. And their forward line is where the magic comes from but even their forward line is about 4 stars (Roughy, Gunston, Breust, Rioli) getting enough chances to collectively kick goals not 1 or 2 superstars kicking a bag.

They are a team that wins when they play as a team.

Some of the players have big names. From the outside and from a media perspective they have more stars than a team like Geelong, Freo or Sydney. But they play as a team and win or lose as a team.

If that makes them flaky then so be it I guess.

Hawthorn v Sydney as a team of superstars v a superstar team was probably wrong in 2012 and it's even more wrong now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's near-on impossible to have momentum for a whole match, especially against the top teams
When you do wrestle momentum back your way you better make sure you convert it to scoreboard pressure, because at some point the opposition will get it back
The third quarter of the Hawks/Swans match was a perfect example:
Early it was all Swans, getting out to a 23 point lead, but when we got on top, we went into 3qrt time 9 points up!
32 point turnaround in 15 min against the top side!

Ebbs and flows happen

I think the Hawthorn coaching staff have learnt the hard way that you can't control the game 100% of the time against the top sides, and trying to do so has severe downsides (getting knackered and completely run over in the last quarter - see Hawthorn vs Pies prelim in 2011 for example). Hawthorn actually seem to plan for these burst periods in the game. It doesn't always work out, and 2012 GF was an example where we didn't time the surges properly. Worked well tonight though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back