News Hawthorn fan racially abuses Heritier Lumumba (and doesn't get thrown out for it).

Remove this Banner Ad

So telling someone to back to England isn't racist but telling someone to go back to Brazil is? Because you think England is a better country? Or a different reason? How about telling karnezis to back to Greece, would that be considered the same as Brazil or England.. Or somewhere in between?? Could you please clear it up for me

Let me ask you why you hold the right to offend particular players of a non-English speaking background as something profoundly important to you? Why is it elevated to this crusading level? Does it fulfill some psychic need in you and does it ever get satisfied?

So telling someone to back to England isn't racist but telling someone to go back to Brazil is? Because you think England is a better country? Or a different reason? How about telling karnezis to back to Greece, would that be considered the same as Brazil or England.. Or somewhere in between?? Could you please clear it up for me
Spot on. Tell Mattys123 that. He seems to think its racist now he is questioning why its a debate.

If someone told him to go back to Greece I promise you he wouldn't care at all, his closest non Greek friends would have little jabs to him about it. C'mon man, wake up to the world.

I don't know what world you live in but if some pathetic worm called him a wog to his face in the right place and situation he'd be in his rights to clock him.

Let me ask you why you hold the right to offend particular players of a non-English speaking background as something profoundly important to you? Why is it elevated to this crusading level? Does it fulfill some psychic need in you and does it ever get satisfied?
Why do you immediately think I do it?! Just because I don't see a problem with someone saying something like this doesn't mean I do it??? I admit to telling an adelaide fan a few weeks back to go back to her bogan city after she said people in Melbourne are rude.... If someone wants to tell a player to go back to their background country/state/suburb I really don't see the problem. The only abuse I tell at games is that the player is soft and even then I don't really scream it out, I'm a pretty quiet person.

Haha come on there taking the piss. There are a lot more racial problems in the world then some one saying go home! Have a look at Syria

I tend to agree. It seems that you can treat other people like crap as long as you're not at an AFL stadium.

You calling me a flog? Thats rich coming from you. Obviously English cricket fans would cop it I've been known to say it Go HOME YOU POM. That's fine though..

Yeah, the English cricket team would be devastated about being called a Pom, so pregnant is it with meaning, like when we colonised them and barred them from employment. Australia is a colony to the English, so it's like laughing at a child's insults.

I probably should have read the article prior to commenting. The remark did eventually cause a fight with a group of Brazilians at the game and with a fellow Hawthorn supporter, and using the word '*' is somewhat unsavory around family groups. Seemingly the comment was not swallowed up by general crowd noise. In light of new facts, perhaps a strategic withdrawal is the wisest next step. :p

Lol showing your age right there, he calls himself a wog, that's today's world

He can call himself a wog. You telling him to * off back to Greece is another matter.

The test is always if you would say something like that to someone's face. And I return to the question, why do you hold this right to abuse someone as some high point of civilisation?

No one would say to Hodge * off back to England or wherever his heritage lies. And the reason for that is because, like most of the English cricket team, northern Europeans are in no way disadvantaged in Australia, or England and therefore it has no social or historical sting.

What I've gathered here is that it's acceptable to call someone a ******* *******, ******* idiot, hopeless campaigner, dickhead, a pussy, ******, hopeless, pathetic etc. But its not okay to say go back to brazil.

Makes sense
Absolutely that makes sense.
Are you saying you can't see the difference between insulting someone's football skills and racial abuse?

He can call himself a wog. You telling him to **** off back to Greece is another matter.

The test is always if you would say something like that to someone's face. And I return to the question, why do you hold this right to abuse someone as some high point of civilisation?

No one would say to Hodge **** off back to England or wherever his heritage lies. And the reason for that is because, like the English cricket team, northern Europeans are in no way disadvantaged in Australia, or England.
Once again I'll say it I personally don't do it, at least not I people I don't know or not friends with. To their face or behind their back it doesn't interest me to do so. His friends who are not Greek would have said it to his face at some point, at least one of them for sure and he wouldn't have given the slightest. Some Aussie calls him a wog he would be proud of it, some Aussie tells him to go back to Greece he'd say it's a better country. That's the way it works now, don't believe me? Ask your kids or the generation a step down from you

I get the sense that some people think if you can't say whatever you like at the footy you're being robbed of something significant. I can get a little blue and vocal at the footy but it's in the realms of piss off umpire, ah come on Trav, get stuffed etc.

I find most people around me are like that only the show-ponies with man issues carries on like a two bob watch. When the club talks about 1%ers, I can't take a fan who drives a race wedge by abusing players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the English cricket team would be devastated about being called a Pom, so pregnant is it with meaning, like when we colonised them and barred them from employment. Australia is a colony to the English, so it's like laughing at a child's insults.
I guess Harry would be devastated too? Whats the difference?

Once again I'll say it I personally don't do it, at least not I people I don't know or not friends with. To their face or behind their back it doesn't interest me to do so. His friends who are not Greek would have said it to his face at some point, at least one of them for sure and he wouldn't have given the slightest. Some Aussie calls him a wog he would be proud of it, some Aussie tells him to go back to Greece he'd say it's a better country. That's the way it works now, don't believe me? Ask your kids or the generation a step down from you

I have an 11 year old daughter and if anything they inhabit a world in the total opposite direction to what you propose is the 'real world'. Take a look at our music culture, our schools, our society. Racism is a weird abberation. The idea of calling someone a wog or golliwog or whatever is just bizarre.

Absolutely that makes sense.
Are you saying you can't see the difference between insulting someone's football skills and racial abuse?

Its not racial abuse at all, its xenophobia.

Why do people pay such attention to some moron who is clearly in the extreme minority when we all know hes a dimwit. Why do his words really matter at all over the millions of other people who know its nonsense. We have a problem of over dramatizing crappy non-issues that nobody truly gives a * about.

Why does an idiot remark from a complete nobody have any substance at all.

I guess Harry would be devastated too? Whats the difference?

England is a team. Collingwood is a team. If someone said to Blair go back to Collingwood, well, he'd be as devastated as an English player being told to go back to England.

But when someone tries to cut H from the herd and tell him to go back to Brazil, it doesn't require much intelligence to figure out that they are targetting his ethnicity.

Its not racial abuse at all, its xenophobia.

Why do people pay such attention to some moron who is clearly in the extreme minority when we all know hes a dimwit. Why do his words really matter at all over the millions of other people who know its nonsense. We have a problem of over dramatizing crappy non-issues that nobody truly gives a **** about.

Why does an idiot remark from a complete nobody have any substance at all.
It's not the minority - casual racism and xenophobia is the norm in Australia which is why it is important to make a big deal out of it. Being indifferent or ignoring it is being complicit and allows it to fester. That is why Australia has such a fear of a statistically insignificant number of asylum seekers - so much so that it has allowed political parties to get elected based purely on making racism a policy platform. This is why the "racism stops with me" campaign is so important - people who don't agree need to speak up, otherwise these views are all that are heard.

England is a team. Collingwood is a team. If someone said to Blair go back to Collingwood, well, he'd be as devastated as English player being told to go back to England.

But when someone tries to cut H from the herd and tell him to go back to Brazil, it doesn't require much intelligence to figure out that they are targetting his ethnicity.

Ok if Blair was born New Zealand and you said Go back to New Zealand while playing for Collingwood on the field is that racist?

Marty Clarke go back to Ireland.. Racist?

Harry go back to Brazil? Racist?

Ok if Blair was born New Zealand and you said Go back to New Zealand while playing for Collingwood on the field is that racist?

Marty Clarke go back to Ireland.. Racist?

Harry go back to Brazil? Racist?

But no-one DOES say go back to New Zealand or Ireland at the footy? Why don't people say that do you think?

Or to put it another way, if Harry was white and from New Zealand do you think some clown would stand up and tell him to go back to Auckland? I've heard a lot of racist s**t spoken about Harry at games and it's not acceptable.

I have an 11 year old daughter and if anything they inhabit a world in the total opposite direction to what you propose is the 'real world'. Take a look at our music culture, our schools, our society. Racism is a weird abberation. The idea of calling someone a wog or golliwog or whatever is just bizarre.
Yep she's 11 she's grade 5, come back in 3 years. She'll no what I'm talking about and if she doesn't then she's lying to you. It's not a new thing, I can't believe how out of touch people can be..I get you grew up in a different time and all but Jesus you have no understanding of what the new generation is like. Don't deny the truth just to back up your point, your daughter is clearly not old enough yet to have an understanding. In 3 years time she will have a very good understanding. I would love to have this conversation in 3 years time and have it with your daughter by your side.
And by that I'm not questioning the values/views you have taught her... she will see what the views of the generations below you really are. Whether you have a significant influence on her views or if she will be influenced by her generation isn't what I'm referring too, I'm referring to what she sees her own generations views are on this topic. (Basically I'm not trying to offend you, as a father)

Wogs and golliwogs? I don't understand what you mean by that (Aren't golliwogs those toys that were banned? I had one when I was little and it scared me lol)

But no-one DOES say go back to New Zealand or Ireland at the footy? Why don't people say that do you think?

Or to put it another way, if Harry was white and from New Zealand do you think some clown would stand up and tell him to go back to Auckland? I've heard a lot of racist s**t spoken about Harry at games and it's not acceptable.
Don't they? Have you heard the abuse Marty Clarke cops when he was playing s**t? More like people turn a blind eye to it.

Yep she's 11 she's grade 5, come back in 3 years. She'll no what I'm talking about and if she doesn't then she's lying to you. It's not a new thing, I can't believe how out of touch people can be..I get you grew up in a different time and all but Jesus you have no understanding of what the new generation is like. Don't deny the truth just to back up your point, your daughter is clearly not old enough yet to have an understanding. In 3 years time she will have a very good understanding. I would love to have this conversation in 3 years time and have it with your daughter by your side.
And by that I'm not questioning the values/views you have taught her... she will see what the views of the generations below you really are. Whether you have a significant influence on her views or if she will be influenced by her generation isn't what I'm referring too, I'm referring to what she sees her own generations views are on this topic. (Basically I'm not trying to offend you, as a father)

Wogs and golliwogs? I don't understand what you mean by that (Aren't golliwogs those toys that were banned? I had one when I was little and it scared me lol)

There is certainly a strong current of racism in this country but there are also countervailing tendencies and I suspect attitudes depend on where you live. In general racism doesn't preponderate in multicultural areas but in areas where it isn't prevalent.

I live in the north and grew up in Bayswater which was very multicultural and built around Kenworth Trucks and ICI. There was some racism then but it was not entrenched, certainly not ghettos. I was friends back then with Greeks, Chinese, Dutch and my best friends were the Turk brothers down the road. It wasn't just me as some oddity, that was typical.

Our kid's cultural icons in music, film and tv are much more multicultural so I just find your caricature about youth racism as pretty ridiculous to be perfectly honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back