Hawthorn may emerge as the new frontrunner for Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

This is all ridiculous. How could we possibly fit in his payments? Chances are zero
What substantial extra payments have we committed to since franklin left?
How much do you think we are paying Frawley ? How much do you think that the club would value having a near-like-for-like replacement for hodge and Lewis in terms of body size ?

Dangerfield would be an outlet player in our side, he wouldn't be required to win contested footy the extent he does now. This is why it's super important that Will Langford is signed long term, he will be the key for years to come in the success of our skilled outside players.

Danger would be a brilliant get, it does seem highly unlikely but you never know.

Having a bit of a re think on this. We might actually have more cap space than we think.

Our best players are on 1-2 year contracts and are over 30. Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson would not be on big money. They are too old for other clubs to come knocking with big offers to drive their prices up these days. Their big money deals were years ago. It is the great benefit of having stars over 30 - their market value does not match their output.

The guys taking up the cap space would be Roughy, Lewis, Rioli, Frawley. And we will need it for long term deals for Gunston, Hill, Breust, Shiels etc. But part of being such an even side, I can't see any of them demanding huge coin. There could be space for a star. Maybe not Dangerfield money but a very good player nonetheless.

Ultimately to get a Dangerfield or a Treloar, we will have to trade. We won't be able to offer Dangerfield enough that Adelaide couldn't match and force a trade. We would have to give up something quality - like Breust or Hill - plus a first round pick for Danger. Probably just the player for Treloar. That would be the market rate. Is it worth it? Can't see any of our players volunteering so it would involve moving on a popular and reluctant star (and possibly a 3 time premiership star). If we win he flag, I'd pass. If we don't, well we just have to decide what gives us the best chance of winning one last one with the oldies.

I would have thought the big problem is that if we, somehow, were to get him we'd do it by convincing him to take a moderate sized contract with a strong prospect of playing in premierships. As an RFA, that'd mean an offer that Adelaide should be able to match.

Having a bit of a re think on this. We might actually have more cap space than we think.

Our best players are on 1-2 year contracts and are over 30. Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson would not be on big money. They are too old for other clubs to come knocking with big offers to drive their prices up these days. Their big money deals were years ago. It is the great benefit of having stars over 30 - their market value does not match their output.

The guys taking up the cap space would be Roughy, Lewis, Rioli, Frawley. And we will need it for long term deals for Gunston, Hill, Breust, Shiels etc. But part of being such an even side, I can't see any of them demanding huge coin. There could be space for a star. Maybe not Dangerfield money but a very good player nonetheless.

Ultimately to get a Dangerfield or a Treloar, we will have to trade. We won't be able to offer Dangerfield enough that Adelaide couldn't match and force a trade. We would have to give up something quality - like Breust or Hill - plus a first round pick for Danger. Probably just the player for Treloar. That would be the market rate. Is it worth it? Can't see any of our players volunteering so it would involve moving on a popular and reluctant star (and possibly a 3 time premiership star). If we win he flag, I'd pass. If we don't, well we just have to decide what gives us the best chance of winning one last one with the oldies.
Also my understanding is that Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis + Roughie this year and Birchall next year are considered veterans (10 years service) and so $118,000 for each of them is excluded from the cap, works out to 590K. Although I think the veterans allowance is getting shafted from 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't surprise me if try to get someone with the ilk of the overrated and at times lazy Jeremy Howe! Though 12 gams at BHH should fast forward his developement.

I am normally optimistic about us recruiting players from other clubs but have completely no confidence that Dangerfield would
A)choose us
B)that we could pay him enough
C)that we could possibly satisfy the Crows in terms of a trade
D)outbid the crows in terms of cash

Crows would want a top player (Breust or Hill) and a pick inside 5 for sure if they had to trade.

I am normally optimistic about us recruiting players from other clubs but have completely no confidence that Dangerfield would
A)choose us
B)that we could pay him enough
C)that we could possibly satisfy the Crows in terms of a trade
D)outbid the crows in terms of cash

Crows would want a top player (Breust or Hill) and a pick inside 5 for sure if they had to trade.
They were keen on Schoe last year, but the deal didn't get done before deadline. :)

A)choose us.....because we have a winning culture and treat our Vets with respect .
B)that we could pay him enough ....Light front loaded (550k a yr) , heavy mid loaded as stars retire (900k a yr for 3 yrs ) , reset the back end .
C)that we could possibly satisfy the Crows in terms of a trade ....1st rdr plus future 1st rdr ( it will come in ) , T.O and Brand .
D)outbid the crows in terms of cash ......wont need to if a trade can be struck .

Well worded statement i thought when i heard him .
fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

'Kick alright' that's an appropriate term! If we pay a guy what he will demand the way we play requires a gun mid to kick better than alright.
Don't get me wrong he's a great player, if he would come on our terms great but that won't happen.
I just keep thinking what has happened to Syd could happen to us if we pay overs for one gun!

Well the cards are held by Adelaide not Dangerfield. Dangerfield has stated he wants a Premiership, money isn't a motivation... but if Hawthorn want him they will have to try their best at a deal that Adelaide won't have a go at matching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back