Hawthorn membership tally 2015 - 70,000 plus loose change!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Hawthorn Football Club - The best club in the WEST ...... and the North, ...... and the East, and South, in fact EVERYWHERE. Yeah, shout it, let everybody know!
Now all we need is for the boys to show their appreciation to those 70,000 members with a great win on Saturday.

Well done Hawthorn! A terrific effort to achieve 70,000...

(PS I can imagine all the ferals accusing us of getting to 70,000 by selling to dogs,cats,budgies,and canaries.pfftt..Jealousy is a curse..They can all shove it where it fits the best!):p

How I would love my late hubby to be here to see this record.He would be so proud.:) At least he saw 9 premierships :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow: There were only about 4,700 when he joined, in 1960..

Last edited:
Well done Hawthorn! A terrific effort to achieve 70,000...

(PS I can imagine all the ferals accusing us of getting to 70,000 by selling to dogs,cats,budgies,and canaries.pfftt..Jealousy is a curse..They can all shove it where it fits the best!):p

How I would love my late hubby to be here to see this record.He would be so proud.:) At least he saw 9 premierships :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow: There were only about 4,700 when he joined, in 1960..

Under 3,000 when I joined LMH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While it is great for the club and creates a great atmosphere at home games there are actually fewer benefits to individual members as a result of this huge membership number.

When I first signed up as a member there were only about 7000 in 1988, one tenth of what we have now. We made the Grand Final and I bought a Finals Series ticket for all six finals games for less than $100 - no queuing, just walk up to a Bass agency and buy them (my GF ticket last year cost $380 and to be in the running for that I needed to have an upgraded membership). You could go to Thursday night training and get sausages prepared by the trainers or other club members. You could chat to the players after training and get autographs. There was a social club in Linda Crescent where you could mingle with other supporters.

Now with 70,000 members at the club there are problems associated with it. Only 15,000 can go to the Grand Final if we make it so that is around 55,000 who can't unless they are AFL or MCC members. With limited seats available the club can continue to create higher and higher brackets of reserved seating and membership to increase their revenue potential, pricing poorer fans out of their desired involvement. There are only a few training sessions that the club allows as "open". To meet players is possible at the annual family day but due to the amount of members has huge queues these days. There is no longer any social club.

In effect we are all just funding what has become a huge beast that values our support but distances itself from interaction. We have just become an income revenue stream.

I love the club and supporting it is one of the great pastimes available and am also acutely aware that for the club to be successful it needs to grow to these levels. The club should certainly be proud of being able to achieve these results but I find it interesting that fans should celebrate these huge numbers when all it means relatively is that you are paying more for less.

From what I've heard, certain Westpac employees get a free Collingwood membership... whether they want it or not. All clubs give free memberships to sponsoring companies, but this is on a rather large scale.
Thats funny - my (Collingwood-member) wife was giving me grief about the Hawks' membership being artificially boosted "by corporates" (whatever that means). I'll have to bring this up at the dinner table tonight :)

While it is great for the club and creates a great atmosphere at home games there are actually fewer benefits to individual members as a result of this huge membership number.

When I first signed up as a member there were only about 7000 in 1988, one tenth of what we have now. We made the Grand Final and I bought a Finals Series ticket for all six finals games for less than $100 - no queuing, just walk up to a Bass agency and buy them (my GF ticket last year cost $380 and to be in the running for that I needed to have an upgraded membership). You could go to Thursday night training and get sausages prepared by the trainers or other club members. You could chat to the players after training and get autographs. There was a social club in Linda Crescent where you could mingle with other supporters.

Now with 70,000 members at the club there are problems associated with it. Only 15,000 can go to the Grand Final if we make it so that is around 55,000 who can't unless they are AFL or MCC members. With limited seats available the club can continue to create higher and higher brackets of reserved seating and membership to increase their revenue potential, pricing poorer fans out of their desired involvement. There are only a few training sessions that the club allows as "open". To meet players is possible at the annual family day but due to the amount of members has huge queues these days. There is no longer any social club.

In effect we are all just funding what has become a huge beast that values our support but distances itself from interaction. We have just become an income revenue stream.

I love the club and supporting it is one of the great pastimes available and am also acutely aware that for the club to be successful it needs to grow to these levels. The club should certainly be proud of being able to achieve these results but I find it interesting that fans should celebrate these huge numbers when all it means relatively is that you are paying more for less.
I understand your point, but after what nearly happened in 1996, I'm happy to line up in a long queue, not get to many training nights eating a sausage in bread, or chat to players after training if it means the Hawks are still around, and going from strength to strength!

I would crawl over an MCG of broken glass to see the Hawks, particularly in a final.

I'm sure I'm older than you, I started following the Hawks in the 60's when shops weren't open on Sunday's and pubs closed at 6.00, and there was no internet. There was also none of the "pr0n" stuff I hear people talk about these days.

Life goes on, but the Hawks are still there!

Can we catch Collingwood? We've topped the membership count (across the league) twice over the last 20 years (1999 and 2009). We'd probably have to three-peat to get them

Collingwood 72,722
Hawthorn 70,035
Richmond 68,022 (remember when these muppets were going to catch us?)
Adelaide 62,034
Port Adelaide 59,300
West Coast 57,400
Essendon 53,533
Fremantle 48,939
Carlton 46,023
Sydney 42,687
Geelong Cats 41,573
North Melbourne 37,771
Melbourne 33,283
St Kilda 31,667
Western Bulldogs 30,353
Brisbane Lions 24,742
Gold Coast 13,102
GWS Giants 10,584

And i remember when a bucket of chips was 80 cents ...

Membership total 70,035 up by 3,969:thumbsu::thumbsu:
For the month of April 3229 signed which is up by 267 (from April 2962, 2014)

Congratulations to Hawthorn F.C. and all the members that have bought a membership so far.

As someone said before it's proud to be a Hawk supporter.

Fair post, however those days have been long gone for a while now. The modern age has changed everything. We are so digital these days, however I feel our supporters being of the more affluent variety have embraced the tv and digital support structures available.

Our supporters would have to be considered some of the laziest when it comes to match day, and the considerations are not economic. HAWTHORN supporters only attend significant blockbusters and it is so sad! Had Richmond or collingwood had the success we have enjoyed since the finals of 2007, they would be managing 70k a week even when playing rubbish opposition.

We dont have enough supporters that dedicate their lives to the Hawks like other clubs.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back