Hawthorn sledge Clark? Clark doesn't think so : Joel Selwood cries wolf

How come Bombers fans were booing Lake after Clark tweeted that he didn't name Lake as the sledger? Either he didn't, or that's a lie, or is that ok because it's the 'Players' Code'?
basically none of them can read nor earn enough to own mobile phones and have twitter accounts.

How come Bombers fans were booing Lake after Clark tweeted that he didn't name Lake as the sledger? Either he didn't, or that's a lie, or is that ok because it's the 'Players' Code'?

I think they mistook Lake for Jobe Watson...

Far more people watch The Footy Show and read the AFL website than those who also follow Mitch Clark on twitter. Given no clarification or apology has been forthcoming from any of the media that have run with this story it's unlikely the greater audience of the AFL will know about this.

GOHORCS

All Australian
Nov 12, 2011
Mount Martha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree 100%. But that is not the issue here.
I bet you have sledged someone at your work and not even known. We say things all the time like he/she is a nut case, worry wart or other disparaging remarks and I am sure there would be someone who has suffered from mental illness amongst those people. People in these situations are humans and are resilient and not fragile creatures. Mitch
How can someone motivate themselves to play with clinical depression ? The guy is obviously full of $hit and I hope the dees really give it to him when they meet .
They probably can't at the lowest ebb but as they improve and recover they can do anything they would normally do maybe with less enjoyment or enthusiasm but is a day to day week to week thing. Your idea of clinical depression is probably stereotypical which is fine but the reality is it can vary from individual to individual. That is not to say you are not right, just that your reason is not proof he is full of sh1t.

badgrill

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I bet you have sledged someone at your work and not even known. We say things all the time like he/she is a nut case, worry wart or other disparaging remarks and I am sure there would be someone who has suffered from mental illness amongst those people. People in these situations are humans and are resilient and not fragile creatures. Mitch

They probably can't at the lowest ebb but as they improve and recover they can do anything they would normally do maybe with less enjoyment or enthusiasm but is a day to day week to week thing. Your idea of clinical depression is probably stereotypical which is fine but the reality is it can vary from individual to individual. That is not to say you are not right, just that your reason is not proof he is full of sh1t.
Which is why it's not as cut n dry as racial vilification - if you vilify someone racially, you are doing it knowing that person's race or whatever. Now clearly in Clark's case, you would also know. But there would be other players who haven't had the public spotlight on them about it, so is it just a case of watch what you say to every player? Just in case?

(I'm def not condoning sledging Clark in particular or even saying it has happened btw)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Bremner20

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2012
Sale Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Ok ,another reason one of the worst things you could do when you are in that state is to put yourself in a situation that is going to place more expectation and more stress on you . If he is that prone to becoming to a depressive state wouldn't you have done one of two things ,- A if you were going to play stay with the Dees that gave you the lifeline where people would say good on you and leave you alone out of respect for the effort you are making or B Not play in the AFL fishbowl at all ,no he not only played again but went to a higher profile club as a bigname recruit and an answer to their forwardline deficiencies, now you wouldn't feel like placing that kind of pressure on yourself in that state of mind which brings me back to my original opinion ,the guy is full of $hit .

Which is why it's not as cut n dry as racial vilification - if you vilify someone racially, you are doing it knowing that person's race or whatever. Now clearly in Clark's case, you would also know. But there would be other players who haven't had the public spotlight on them about it, so is it just a case of watch what you say to every player? Just in case?

(I'm def not condoning sledging Clark in particular or even saying it has happened btw)

Just what I was thinking. To me all sledging is crap

GOHORCS

All Australian
Nov 12, 2011
Mount Martha
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Exactly the point is people with depression are not so fragile that a comment is going to send them over the edge but as we all know he has depression it would be poor form to use that specifically to him. People say stuff like the mum jokes or stuff about sisters and may accidently stumble on a sensitive issue and bad luck but for example any player saying something to Nick Riewoldt this year even accidently is inexcusable and I would expect any club to suspend them maybe indefinitely. So I would say don't hold back otherwise. I would even say sledge Mitch all you like but don't think most people might think you're a f-wit. Steve Johnsons reputation wouldn't be affected nor would andrew Mackies they are both dead set conts

Hodginator

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I won't be watching, but keen to see if anyone here can fill me in on this

@phitchener9: Tonight @FootyClassified looks at how the Gold Coast Suns have started the season, plus Caro's take on the Mitch Clark controversy.. 10pm

BigRough

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wellington Phoenix, Blackcaps

@phitchener9: Tonight @FootyClassified looks at how the Gold Coast Suns have started the season, plus Caro's take on the Mitch Clark controversy.. 10pm

Just the same old rehash. Hutch tried to have a go at Caro saying her story was bullshit, but to be fair she says that she spoke to both clubs who said Clark had named Lake. Her take on Clark's retraction tweet was that she couldn't understand why he had done a 180, and he should probably have thought about the consequences of what might happen before he named Lake to the Geelong footy boss.

Basically Caro said she spoke to Geelong, they said Clark named Lake. She spoke to Hawthorn, they confirmed that was what Geelong had told them but they'd spoken to Lake and he'd denied it and they believed him.
She reported all that but then Clark put out that tweet and she's not sure where it came from.

Hutchison just acting like the dense flog he is cutting off Caro, accusing her of lying while she tries to explain her side.

Nothing new. Not sure why they spoke about it really.

Caro didn't reveal s**t. It was all smoke and shadows behind the window. She very strongly made it aware to everyone and their dog that she had talked to both Hawthorn and Geelong and that Mitch Clark had mentioned Brian Lake. She made that point very strongly and said it 2 or 3 times that she had talked to Hawthorn and Geelong that Mitch Clark had mentioned Brian Lake.

She then very meekly said that while Brian Lake was mentioned, it was never confirmed what he said or, if he did say anything, that it was anything offensive or disrespectful.

But Caro did speak to both Hawthorn and Geelong and Brian Lake's name was mentioned by Mitch Clark!

So from that and clark's subsequent tweet denying it was lake, can we presume, assume that lake may have sledged him but the sledge had nothing to do with depression and that Clark for one reason or another does not want us knowing what the actual content of the sledge was.

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
Those in the essendon members area starting booing him after he pushed daniher over in the first qt.

.... and I hear that Lake sledged Daniher for having a pathetic mustache ... The AFL have launched an inquiry ...

Last edited:

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
No further comment form selwood ? He was sufficiently vague on footy show to be albl to back track.

The media would even dub him a 'hero' for clearing it up wouldnt they

Just leave it vague though, mission accompllshed

For those on FB, Mitch Clark had a great post about depression.

Will dig it out tonight if nobody else has posted it.
I look forward to reading his next one about ice addiction.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Without being in flammatory, does depresion go wth being a mouthy character ? Of all the afl players who have discussed it, it seems a common trait ?

They say its common among stand up comedians (joke not intended)

https://www.facebook.com/clarkmitch19/posts/801184586639613:0

"People think depression is sadness. People think depression is crying. People think depression is dressing in black. But people are wrong. Depression is the constant feeling of being numb. Being numb to emotions, being numb to life. You wake up in the morning just to go back to bed again. Days aren’t really days, they are just annoying obstacles that need to be faced. When you’re depressed, you grasp on to anything that can get you through the day. Even in a strange way you f...all in love with your depression because you think it's all you have. It's not being able to see a way out, to see something good, to feel normal. That’s what depression is, not sadness or tears, it’s the overwhelming sense of numbness and the desire for anything that can help you make it from one day to the next. Please don't suffer in silence and alone. Reach out and ask for help"- Mitch Clark

Last edited:
Back