Status
Not open for further replies.

Boot Studder

All Australian
Mar 13, 2008
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have to question the validity of playing games in Tassy deep into winter. I'd like to be going to the footy this week to see my team play but I can't because they are down in Tassy in front of 3 men and a baby. Time to find a new sponsor Hawthorn.
Actually, it will be in front of just the three men. Nobody in their right mind would let a baby go out in this weather. ;)

Actually, it will be in front of just the three men. Nobody in their right mind would let a baby go out in this weather. ;)

We should play in Tassie in Summer.

This Winter football stuff is no good, particularly for babies!

First to answer the top part of your post: If Shoey had the confidence to attack the ball instead of always been focused on his man, as others on here and on the other thread have pointed out, and take a few contested marks, their wouldn't be a need for Gibbo and others coming across to spoil the ball, contiguously living their man free roaming around and kicking easy goals.
And it did happen in the Swans game watch the replay and in the start of the third quarter theirs a perfect example of what iam talking about how Goodes gets the easiest goals because four of our defenders are trying to help out Schoey..

Second: this whole debate started because I gave my honest opinion, that I feel much more confident with Spangher in the side playing in defence then Schoenmakers, from what I have seen this year.
You've said the opposite, and you've tried to prove your case by stats and in your many posts here and on the other thread is Schoey in our top 22.

Ok well lets look at this years stats between the two:
And lets not even start taking in to consideration stats of contested marking.

Matt Spangher2014 Season Average
Games Played 8
Kicks 10.4
Handballs 4.9
Disposals 15.2
Marks 5.6
Tackles 1.9
Ranked 20th in One Percenters Per Game in the League
Schoenmakers 2014SeasonAverage
Games Played 11
Kicks 10.2
Handballs 4.5
Disposals 14.7
Marks 4.5
Ranked 46th in One Percenters Per Game in the League

So according to your so called stats and with Spangher having played 2 less games then Schoenmakers who's been the better play this year??
Just so you know one of the big reasons Geelong have had such a wonderful defense is because they have left their man to give one of their fellow defenders a chop out. Its what grundy and richards do for each other. Its a not a failing but by design. There is sometimes not much a defender can do when one out and the ball is kicked to the advantage of the forward. By the way defense is a team thing you're living in the past. If hawthorn could avoid all one on ones in the forward line they would. The first thing you get from a defender is that "we" and how they need to help each other to contain the forward. Tippet is one of those players who is much taller than schoey so it was always going to be difficult as he was our only option and the focus in the so called contest you were talking about.

HAWTHORN v WESTERN BULLDOGS

Hawthorn
B: Angus Litherland, Josh Gibson, Ryan Schoenmakers
HB: Luke Hodge, Benjamin Stratton, Grant Birchall
C: Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Matthew Suckling
HF: Bradley Hill, Jack Gunston, Luke Breust
F: Paul Puopolo, Jarryd Roughead, Jordan Lewis
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Shaun Burgoyne, Liam Shiels
I/C: David Hale, Jonathan Simpkin, Alex Woodward, Matthew Spangher
Emg: Billy Hartung, Taylor Duryea, Will Langford

Ins: David Hale, Matt Spangher
Outs: Jonathon Ceglar (omitted), Will Langford (omitted)

Western Bulldogs
B: Jason Johannisen, Jordan Roughead, Mark Austin
HB: Robert Murphy, Dale Morris, Adam Cooney
C: Koby Stevens, Matthew Boyd, Jack Macrae
HF: Marcus Bontempelli, Stewart Crameri, Nathan Hrovat
F: Luke Dalhaus, Jake Stringer, Lachie Hunter
Foll: Will Minson, Ryan Griffen, Tom Liberatore
I/C: Shaun Higgins, Sam Darley, Liam Picken, Tom Campbell
Emg: Mitch Honeychurch, Jack Redpath, Brett Goodes

Ins: Shaun Higgins, Sam Darley, Tom Campbell
Outs: Jack Redpath (omitted), Easton Wood (omitted), Mitch Wallis (foot)

Still looking forward to heading off to Launceston tomorrow.

I sometimes enjoy listening to a radio broadcast while watching the game, and have done so at York Park in the past.

But, don't recall where to find the broadcast on the radio dial.
Any Tassie locals able to help?

As for the weather? Just checked BOM. forecast for Sat is: min -3 max12. Sun: min -2 max13. Frosty mornings Fine days, no rain forecast.
Thats not too bad considering I've seen snow in the highlands on Boxing Day!
Will be packing Flannelette shirt and Snow jacket, just to be sure.

Go Hawks.
4 premiership points, good result.
Percentage boost, better result.

Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
This should be called Schoey vs Spangher and Hale vs Ceglar thread... Here is my two cents:

Hale was a monster in our 2013 finals campaign. He is a proven champion on the big stage. Sure he is in poor form, but does that mean we just disregard him? (Sewell says hi). Ceglar has blown us away no doubt about it, but can he maintain that in finals? It's a risk. Experience comes first. However if Hale can't find that form he is gone. This is his chance. Either way I'm happy..I don't think it will make a huge difference. I can't remember a ruckman winning a Grand Final or prelim off his own boot. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I reckon if we play a team like Sydney in the Grand Final, with tall forwards, both Schoey and Spangher will play. If we play a team like Geelong or Port with quicker and smaller forwards, then sadly Spangher will be dropped. I just think Clarko prefers a calculated Schoey ( clangers and all) over a reckless Spangher. I love Spangher but he can be a ticking bomb at times. Schoey has brain farts and it does my head in; all our heads in. End of the day the coaches know best. Even though I favour Schoey by default, it would break my heart if we made the Grand Final and Spangher got dropped.

P.s. There is one man I hope wins a flag more than anyone else, that is Whitecross. No need to elaborate.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Still looking forward to heading off to Launceston tomorrow.

I sometimes enjoy listening to a radio broadcast while watching the game, and have done so at York Park in the past.

But, don't recall where to find the broadcast on the radio dial.
Any Tassie locals able to help?

As for the weather? Just checked BOM. forecast for Sat is: min -3 max12. Sun: min -2 max13. Frosty mornings Fine days, no rain forecast.
Thats not too bad considering I've seen snow in the highlands on Boxing Day!
Will be packing Flannelette shirt and Snow jacket, just to be sure.

Go Hawks.
4 premiership points, good result.
Percentage boost, better result.

Looks like the ABC is on 91.7 on the FM band. Is that what you were after?

Nomore4s

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really interesting that we'd drop a midfielder to go with another tall when the only area of the field that they'll challenge us is in the midfield.
Maybe it's about stretching them. Our midfield will be fine, Langford tbh hasn't really impressed me in the last few games, Simpkin's last 2 games have certainly been better and he deserves his spot more. I would guess Clarko might give Woodward a full game and not sure we would want both Woodward and Langers in the midfield together at this stage their development and the season.

I wonder where Picken is going to put his hands without Cyril's jumper to hold on to?
He's going to get cold!

The last time, Cyril would to have needed a surgeon to have Picken surgically removed.

wallyt99

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2007
Bay 13
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Based on the changes and named side Spang will be sub. Will give Woody a full game, not upset the height balance and allow Clarkson to experiment replacing tall with tall (provided no injuries).

If Ceglar got truly omitted and lines up for BHH on the weekend then Hale sure as s**t better be dropped if he plays a poor game too. Won't happen though.

Langford doesn't deserve to be omitted either.

Tipping Schoey will go forward this week.

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Langford very stiff for mine. Thought he was solid last week and it's surprising that he was omitted for a tall.

I guess Litherland will play small, Schoey forward with Spang, Gibbo and Stratton taking the talls.

I think there will be a late change from that lineup.

I agree. This doesn't strike me as the type of game where you drop a midfielder for a tall.

becalm

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm a bit surprised a tall and a small is out and two talls come in. Hope we are not too top heavy and lack run.

PS Already mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back