Review Hawthorn versus Sydney Swans, MCG, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The one that got off the leash and cost us was Isaac Smith 18 disposals 3 goals! who the hell was on him?

Maybe Harry? Jetts? At one stage I saw Birdy running with him and thought 'What the *?' but I don't know. If Birdie was running with him as I thought at times in the third and last quarters and Macca at other times then we had the wrong match ups on him. Neither is fast enough, even Kizza gave up chasing him (that's another thing, I have never seen him give up a chase before, really pathetic).

Maybe Harry? Jetts? At one stage I saw Birdy running with him and thought 'What the ****?' but I don't know. If Birdie was running with him as I thought at times in the third and last quarters and Macca at other times then we had the wrong match ups on him. Neither is fast enough, even Kizza gave up chasing him (that's another thing, I have never seen him give up a chase before, really pathetic).

Well to give up 3 goals on him when his averaging just above a goal a game was a really bad outcome for us, lot of the times throughout the game i thought our matchups were wrong.

Well to give up 3 goals on him when his averaging just above a goal a game was a really bad outcome for us, lot of the times throughout the game i thought our matchups were wrong.

Me too and I haven't seen our players go to ground so many times in a match ever. Very bad habit to get into.

Just re-watched the game. I'm not one to complain about the umps, and last night was saying it had little effect on the result, but now I see there were quite a few critical decisions (or lack of) that cost us dearly.

This makes me even more confident come September.

This is what get me too.

it is not what they call it is what they don't, and generally all of a sudden.

The Rampe run down was holding the ball no question - so was ours (names escape me) - one paid one not....head meet desk.

Should show the vision of Litherland walking around Goodes on the HFF and then kicking it to Roughy who walked through 4 defenders ( including Reid who was loose man ). Poor effort from Reid and Goodes
I dont think Goodes was willing to risk his knees on that the turn to tackle, and wouldnt be surprised if he has been told not to.

Reid should have definitely got a fist to it though.

Just one thing left to review on the game before we move on.View attachment 70844

trainwreck.gif

:oops:

I dont think Goodes was willing to risk his knees on that the turn to tackle, and wouldnt be surprised if he has been told not to.

Reid should have definitely got a fist to it though.

You could have a point mate think Horse reaction in the box is what happened afterwards where Roughead waltzed through 3 defenders and took a uncontested mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the reason we lost is simple to me, hawthorn played a lot better and they never stopped believing even when down, they gritted their teeth and worked their rears off

they were almost perfectly coached match up wise, players still have to do their jobs, but they kept the right players quiet, or even looking at goodsey its like ok you can kick 4 but we are going to expose your defence and end up arguably getting the better overall.

the only thing i take from it is it was actually a very good contest and we could of snagged it despite all the players down, it suggests so much up side.

having said that its not a case of oh next time the key players lift, it just means if they work hard and changes things up the demonstrated ability exists to beat them.

most neutrals have suggested it was the game of the year, maybe i was too involved but i felt we just hung in and left it to too few

A lot of the reason we lost and guys were down was because hawthorn did not allow us to play better they were on top

All the uncontested possies suggest we ran out of legs. The week off must have been a little too lazy.
Maybe the week off was a little too hard?.
I wouldn't presume to know the state of affairs at Sydney with regard to training blocks, but these last few weeks have been the last chance to get miles into the legs of players. Flog them hard on the track and rebuild that fitness base that gradually erodes as the season draws on. A few of you have mentioned the 'down' games by your midfield. Not to be making excuses for the loss, but being a bit down in rounds 16-19 due to training fatigue means come finals you'll be fit and firing. It's the last weeks in September that count and I know you guys will be up and about when it counts.
Great match btw, Buddy's still got it!!

Still haven't watched the game, but from those stats, it looks like we let the Hawks play their uncontested, precision kicking game. Which you will always lose, because they are so good at it.

Is that an accurate reflection?

I assume it's not a fitness issue. Just work-rate (as coach and players have mentioned).

Though those clearances are a worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back