Hawthorn vs Fremantle - Round 3, 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I love all the tears from the fools who dig there heels into Lyon everytime he loses a game. Its embarrassing. The bloke is clearly a mastermind

Oh yeah?

On what basis?

There is no credible evidence at all to suggest that Ross Lyon is any better than a good/average coach. He might be a good defensive coach (although Hawthorn dismissed that with aplomb on Friday night) but in all his years of coaching he still hasn't cottoned on to the fact that you actually need to score goals as well as stop them.

He is a few rungs below Bomber Thompson, Paul Roos and Al Clarkson.

Taking 2 different teams to 3 grand finals in 7 years suggest a little better than good/average.

And has won precisely bugger all.

Further to this he has not yet learned from his St Kilda days. It is just the same recycled game plan that fails to yield enough goals when it really counts.

I will re-assess my position if and when he wins a premiership.

I will re-assess my position if and when he wins a premiership.

Why do you need a premiership cup to slap you in the face before you can decide whether a coach is any good? It's pretty simplistic reasoning (ironic given your sig).

Like your Paul Roos example - his coaching ability doesn't depend on whether Leo Barry took that clutch mark at the perfect time or not. If Barry drops that and Roos doesn't win the premiership, suddenly you don't rate him even though his coaching ability is exactly the same.

Why do you need a premiership cup to slap you in the face before you can decide whether a coach is any good? It's pretty simplistic reasoning (ironic given your sig).

Like your Paul Roos example - his coaching ability doesn't depend on whether Leo Barry took that clutch mark at the perfect time or not. If Barry drops that and Roos doesn't win the premiership, suddenly you don't rate him even though his coaching ability is exactly the same.

Simply, because Ross Lyon has now coached in three GF's and has made the same mistakes in each.

You can't be classified as great at anything until you can prove that you know how to adapt and learn from previous errors. All we are seeing from Ross Lyon is more of the same as he has dished up previously.

Another thing separating him from Clarkson, Thompson and Roos is the fact that he has never developed his own list. He inherited a very good list from Grant Thomas and a very good list from Mark Harvey. The great coaches have all coached under adversity and proven their worth. Lyon has never done this.

There are plenty of gaps in his CV that need to be addressed before he can be regarded as a great coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back