Strategy Hawthorn's new $50 million ULTRAMEGA COMPLEX of AWESOMENESS AND SUCCESS

There's been rumours of this going around for a couple of years now, but this is possibly the first time I've seen an article written about what our intention 'may' be in the not too distant future and the costs involved.

From my understanding, the site for this new venture is already owned by the HFC.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ay-from-waverley/story-fni5f8ge-1227116915142
Hawthorn is tossing up whether to spend $35 million doubling the size of its footy facilities at Waverley or find an entirely new site to build on undeveloped land.

As recently as last March Hawthorn had committed to expanding Waverley but the Herald Sun understands spending $50 million on a new home is still a real possibility.

The club will again declare a monster profit of about $3 million which will help bank cash to go towards the expansion.

We should be pleased that not only are we the most successful side of the modern era, but we intend on continuing to lead the charge into the future in a number of aspects(NZ, Tasmania, Megaplex).

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
For that kind of money couldnt we be investigating an actual stadium somewhere out east ?

Obviously other funding from elsewhere would be needed

Surely the forces of the afl will eventually see us leave tassie. Its a real possibility

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some articles about Wantirna Reserve which we were looking at last year for this option. We may have moved on by now given Wantirna wasn't mentioned in the new article above.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-20/hawks-seek-more-privacy
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...-training-ground/story-fngnvmqa-1226773425198
Maybe we're putting the feelers out there.

Im a fan of us moving to a new purpose built mega complex. Think we might have outgrown Waverley.

Only thing is Watsonia is nth east whereas Wantirna is east - thought i read we've also looked there.

Bonus being that out those ways Collingwood has a large slice of the fan base which after entrenching ourselves in the Sth East, we could also tap into in the new region to grow our fan base even more.

Wonder if Clarko will chip in some off his hard earned as yet another shrewd investment. The way he's going he's going to conquer the world

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Other part of the article talks about clarko investigating other sports.

Cant help wondering at the elevation of izzy folau after a couple of years on an afl list.

Maybe other sports should be looking at us ?

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Imagine the Dogs reading Clarko is now a manager with 12 coaches under him, sigh, long way to go.

Seriously Clarko is fast becoming one of the all time greats

dcutter

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Makes me think clarko might be in this for the long haul potentially in the ilk of Sheedy or a Sir Alex Ferguson from Man United.

He is on record as saying 'coaches should be at a club no more than 10 years'. Always played on my mind a bit, that once this core group has finished he might move on. This mega complex however, if it is his doing, might be game changer.

Sir Alistair Clarkson certainly has a nice ring to it too.

Dec 28, 2008
Eastern foot hills.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill.
Why not Box Hill City Oval?

Smack bang in our supporter heartland, a real toast to our 15 year Box Hill relationship and a happy medium between Glenferrie and Waverley
No room for the development the club see as necessary for the future.
The turf wicket has to remain at Box Hill. That discussion is done and dusted.

Dec 28, 2008
Eastern foot hills.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill.
I assume we would retain Waverley Park (given we will be taking possession of the facility soon enough), lease out the ground level for retail / office space and perhaps leave the museum out there?
Waverley would have to be used for at least the short term you would think.
A new development will be done over a period of years, it will grow as responsible funding is available.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Owning the bit of dirt and having the Charlie Ash to build a mega training complex would have been an impossible dream 50 years ago.

If this goes ahead then the next 50 years will make the last 50 years look like an unsucessful era in the history of the Hawthorn football club.

If the club can borrow the coin to build and own a 50000 seating capacity MCG size stadium and pay off that loan within 3 decades it will put us so far ahead of any other club that it will take 3 decades for them to catch up. Although I am not too sure if building our own stadium would be that beneficial. 10 Home games at a packed MCG may still be the best way to go.

I have sore thighs because whenever I now think of Hawthorn I pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming and it is still the same inconsequental club I began following 60 odd years ago.

How much do we owe to Ian Dicker? Bankrupt to millionaires in less than a decade.

There is the bumped thread about appointing coaches in 2004. Let's not forget that it was also 2004(or was it early 2005) when Ian dicker was challenged by Don Scott and Graeme Arthur for the presidency. Ian toured Australia speaking at meetings asking for support. I attended the meeting at the Southport Sharks club and I questioned Ian about our lack of success in 2004 and where the club was heading. Alistair Clarkson and Jason Dunstall had just been appointed to their respective positions. Ian was highly supportive of both appointments and expected the rise/improvement to begin with those appointments. I agreed and added that finally recruiting two tall KPs (Roughead and Franklin) in the just completed draft could be the best thing the club has ever done.

I think the best thing to happen to Hawthorn was the proposal to merge with Melbourne and the subsequent dismissal of that proposal by the members. 1996 and that meeting was the catalyst for where Hawthorn is today and it became the rallying point for supporters to get off their bum, become members and take pride in the achievements of th HFC.

Spy pics of OP inspecting the scale model and formulating thread title.

"The Echols Bigfooty centre for footballers who can't play good. And wanna learn to do other stuff good too"
Zoolander.png
zoolander_school2_large.jpg
c.jpg

Back