Strategy Hawthorn's new $50 million ULTRAMEGA COMPLEX of AWESOMENESS AND SUCCESS

Remove this Banner Ad

10 minutes away from Waverley.

Waverley is 1 minute from the freeway which is 10 minutes from Hawthorn/Malvern/Glen Iris where half the players live or 25 minutes down North Road from Brighton/Elwood/Elsternwick where the other half live.

Nothing really helps Brian Lake though.

At some stage you reach a point of diminishing returns with this stuff.

I went to a supporters club meeting early in the season where Stuart Fox spoke about this. Apologies as it was a few months back but the key points
  • Don't think the Waverley upgrade option is feasible but will look at it as all options should be considered
  • Looking for a multiple hectare site in the Eastern Suburbs that will have significant expansion potential
  • Want to address the fact that Waverley is not the most convenient for fans - essentially want to create a one stop Hawks 'compound' for us and Box Hill.
  • Very keen to involved the players in the planning, especially the younger ones who will have to use it more - wanted to avoid a situation like the Saints had with Seaford.
  • Said that the drive came from Clarko who said that AFL clubs are significantly less professional in terms of managing players than clubs in other sporting codes.
  • Apparently in terms of actual facilities we are one of the worst in the comp - said players from other clubs who join us are always surprised at the standard of our facilities.

I think buying one of the closing golf courses would be a decent idea. Gives opportunity for more expansion and enough space for a carpark when we flirt with the idea of hosting matches against lower-tier clubs. Eg St Kilda, Footscray, North, etc

Disappointed. Based on the thread title, I was expecting to learn we were building ourselves a Death Star which we'll be trialling on James Hird's humble abode before setting our sights on the city of Geelong.

And when we play them in the H&A season they will believe that our death star isn't complete and its 'mission accomplished'..... but in the finals they will WITNESS THE POWER OF A FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL BATTLE STATION!

And when we play them in the H&A season they will believe that our death star isn't complete and its 'mission accomplished'..... but in the finals they will WITNESS THE POWER OF A FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL BATTLE STATION!

Uh... yeah... you do realise that didn't work out all that well for them, yeah?

Uh... yeah... you do realise that didn't work out all that well for them, yeah?
yeah, but the Bears...

ewoks.png

...aren't around anymore, and the Rebels...
458457-richard-kingi.jpg

... play Union, so we should be alright...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DeathStar2.jpg

Waverley has to have a link to Football, it's part of its heritage listing and us taking that on is why Mirvac more or less have given us the facility for nothing. Therefore it's gotta have some sort of footy link. We coud quite easily maintain it as a open training venue, admits ration base and club shop / museum. Then also construct a state of the art facility for closed training, medical, fitness etc. The problem with that would be a separation between football department and the rest of admin. As long as The Kennedy statue comes with us I'm happy for a move if the club sees fit. However, it should remain within our are, I'd draw a line North at Canterbury road, South at princess highway and East and The Police Paddocks. Should be easily accessible from The Monash or Eastlink.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...easibility-study/story-fni5f8ge-1227119847824

HAWTHORN will send a small delegation to England and the United States to tour state-of-the-art sporting organisations as part of a feasibility study into its own training and administrative future.

Hawks chief executive Stuart Fox will lead players Jarryd Roughead, Liam Shiels and Jack Gunston as well as board members Linda Kristjanson and Richard Garvey on the 12-day study trip, which starts tomorrow.

It comes as the back-to-back premiers continue an evaluation of its current facility at Waverley Park, with the options including doubling the size of its facilities or exploring alternative options for a future football and administrative home base.

The trip will take in 12 site visits, including St George’s Park, Aston Villa, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Wembley Stadium in England as well as the New York Jets, New York Giants and Metlife Stadium in the US.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...easibility-study/story-fni5f8ge-1227119847824

HAWTHORN will send a small delegation to England and the United States to tour state-of-the-art sporting organisations as part of a feasibility study into its own training and administrative future.

Hawks chief executive Stuart Fox will lead players Jarryd Roughead, Liam Shiels and Jack Gunston as well as board members Linda Kristjanson and Richard Garvey on the 12-day study trip, which starts tomorrow.

It comes as the back-to-back premiers continue an evaluation of its current facility at Waverley Park, with the options including doubling the size of its facilities or exploring alternative options for a future football and administrative home base.

The trip will take in 12 site visits, including St George’s Park, Aston Villa, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Wembley Stadium in England as well as the New York Jets, New York Giants and Metlife Stadium in the US.
Interesting choice of players. Would be interested to know why those 3 specifically.

Interesting choice of players. Would be interested to know why those 3 specifically.
No wife, no kids, leaders on the ground
Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne etc all married and/or have kids

My guess anyway!

Last edited:

My guess anyway!
This.

With regards to Pup and Gunners, it was mentioned that the younger players are being consulted with an eye on the playing group's age deomgraphic when the new facility is likely to be opened in 3-5+ years... ie, the current senior group will be long gone by then.

My guess anyway!
I think you're right. Also still young enough that the decision will effect them during their times at the club.

I also thought when i read it that none of them are stupid. Not saying any other player is, but these 3 seem pretty switched on.

Roughy also has a keen interest in other sports, so he'd go in with an open mind on how to improve our facilities, for his/everyones benefit.
Loyal person with great values, as the other 2 are.
Im sure the club would have spent a long time deciding who to ask, we are extremely lucky to have so many intelligent people to choose from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back