Opinion Hawthorn's next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't meant as a criticism of Shiels.

I just think that as good as he is he will still get better.
I agree, he will improve. But you said that improvement "needs" to happen, and in a thread about who the next captain will be. The implication being that he needs to improve in those areas before he can become a viable captain option. There are only 2 requirements imo and that is that they are in the best 22 and that they are effective leaders.

Can't say I can recall one media interview with Shiels. Is this because he's not as 'popular' with the fans? A quiet achiever? Would think captain needs to be good with the media stuff too.

Can't see Hodge giving up the Captaincy and still playing. He will only give it up when he retires, rightfully so. So its him for 2016 and 2017 I would have thought.
I reckon Hodge would be willing to relinquish the captaincy (and keep playing) to give it to Roughead before he's too old. I'd say Hodge will retire at the end of 2018 (but hopefully 2019). Roughie will be 30 come 2017, so I think it would be great reward as a loyal servant to the club to give him 2-3 years as captain. Esp as he signed a long-term deal rather than going down the FA path.
Though I don't it's likely, I still reckon there's a very slim chance Hodge could even hand it over as soon as next season.

Can't say I can recall one media interview with Shiels. Is this because he's not as 'popular' with the fans? A quiet achiever? Would think captain needs to be good with the media stuff too.
He's not high profile so the media don't ask for him as much. If he's named captain then his profile will rise and he'll get more screen time. He speaks well on TV and radio when given the chance.

Can't see Hodge giving up the Captaincy and still playing. He will only give it up when he retires, rightfully so. So its him for 2016 and 2017 I would have thought.
Would have to be one of the most team first, inspirational and high impact captains of the last 2 decades surely.

He also proved that he is not perfect....but like the quality person that he is, he fessed up, took it on the chin and got on with the job.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I think it should be shiels as we really need to start looking at transitioning to youth and the same should apply to the captain. From what I've heard from the players interviewed he seems to have a lot of respect from the younger players in particular but also been around long enough and has the respect of senior players, would be a good conduit between both groups. Ideally setting us up for a further period of sustained success with the next generation.

Did anyone watch the game Andrew Swallow was miked up??? I'd love to hear the potential captains get miked during the course of the year to listen first hand what goes through their mind over the course of a game. My pick as I said before is Shiels but if he speaks, or anyone else for that matter, anything like Swallow when he's on the ground. I call Pass every time. A leader leads by example but should also be able to lift others with his voice

I think it should be shiels as we really need to start looking at transitioning to youth and the same should apply to the captain. From what I've heard from the players interviewed he seems to have a lot of respect from the younger players in particular but also been around long enough and has the respect of senior players, would be a good conduit between both groups. Ideally setting us up for a further period of sustained success with the next generation.
This!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another Smokey is Smith, he's in the leadership group, has a media profile on the club website, lifted on the field when we needed it a lot this year, Captain in a preseason game and his end of year review talked about how he had stepped up as a leader at the club this year

If we don't bring in any superstars that shine and show captaincy material like O'Meara, then:

Lewis then Shiels then... after some time.... Ryan Burton....

Makes sense. Almost definitely in his last year so it's a perfect time to transition. As a new captain you would want Hodgey there to provide advise and just to chat to.

No it doesn't. Hodge has said he is happy to captain as long as the team/club wants him to. Why would they want the best captain we've ever had to step down? He can advise etc. while still captain.

No it doesn't. Hodge has said he is happy to captain as long as the team/club wants him to. Why would they want the best captain we've ever had to step down? He can advise etc. while still captain.
I would suggest that he has been advising since he pretty much developed into a natural leader....which for my money was very early on because that is his natural game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back