Opinion Hawthorn's next captain

He swings between fwd line and backline but i don't really care where he plays. He has leadership qualities.
Of course he has 'qualities', but the defining quality of a leader is their ability to influence an organised group to achieve objectives & I'm not sure you can do that standing in the FP when the ball is at FB. He definitely covers ground - but that's at pace & constantly on the move - he doesn't line up with the ball whilst covering space - he's constantly moving. I.e. He has no ability to re-org a defence when the ball is at HBF is he's standing at FP/HFF or whilst racing up & down the flanks.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Of course he has 'qualities', but the defining quality of a leader is their ability to influence an organised group to achieve objectives & I'm not sure you can do that standing in the FP when the ball is at FB. He definitely covers ground - but that's at pace & constantly on the move - he doesn't line up with the ball whilst covering space - he's constantly moving. I.e. He has no ability to re-org a defence when the ball is at HBF is he's standing at FP/HFF or whilst racing up & down the flanks.

Gunston is a CHF...

Wayne Carey
Jonathan Brown
Warren Tredrea
Stephen Kernahan
Matthew Pavlich
David Neitz
Taylor Walker
Jason Dunstall
Nick Riewoldt
Roger Merrett
Gary Lyon
Paul Roos
Chris Grant
Chris Langford (FB but same principle applies)

Gunston is a CHF...

Wayne Carey
Jonathan Brown
Warren Tredrea
Stephen Kernahan
Matthew Pavlich
David Neitz
Taylor Walker
Jason Dunstall
Nick Riewoldt
Roger Merrett
Gary Lyon
Paul Roos
Chris Grant
Chris Langford (FB but same principle applies)
Good list!
Want me to name the 2,000 that weren't forwards?

How about we just agree that you can be a great captain and not be in the midfield? Doesn't come into the decision making if you ask me.
Of course you can.

Gunston is not that guy right now,

Agreed?

Afraid not. Gunston's upside is much greater than Shiels imo. Shiels is a "Mr Reliable" Richie Vandenberg type captain. I see Gunston as more of a "carrying the team" Nick Riewoldt type.

Richie Vandenburg was the captain who sold a message to the young blokes from the coach, who have now won 3 flags - such was his influence as leader. Nick Riewoldt stars in a video where his side won 10 games in a row. I know who has been the true leader of men.

I've never understood the criticism around Vandie as captain. He led by example and gave it his all every time he walked on to the field and he bled brown and gold.

I think he and Maxwell both receive a lot of unwarranted criticism

I've never understood the criticism around Vandie as captain. He led by example and gave it his all every time he walked on to the field and he bled brown and gold.

I think he and Maxwell both receive a lot of unwarranted criticism

Mainly because people who have little idea about footy or have never been involved in footy clubs think that the best player must necessarily be the captain. Could you imagine GA Senior as captain? The bloke didn't communicate at the best of times.

Can't believe Hodgey has gone from 'best captain there is' to 'time for him to hand over' :confused: He stays as captain for mine as long as he keeps playing and is happy to keep captaining. Regardless of the odd suspension and anything off the field he is still the best person for the job by a mile. Talk about a knee jerk reaction :rolleyes:

Hodgey is still "the best captain there is".

Nothing has changed as far as I can see.

walhawk

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2007
Box Hill
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill, Storm
As far as our Leadership (and our team as well) goes, we should make changes - before we need to make changes.
I would make Lewis captain for next year.
Freshen up the Leadership Group whilst Hodge & Mitch are still there.
Shiels & Gunston VCs.
One of them to take over in 2018.

MistyAvalon

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees , Roosters
I don't see any any reason to overlook Burchall, Suckling or Hill but for the symbolism I like Rioli as first indigenous Hawthorn captain.
yeah but does he want the captaincy
and does he want it cos of his Aboriginality?

not everyone plays well as a captain

Richie Vandenburg was the captain who sold a message to the young blokes from the coach, who have now won 3 flags - such was his influence as leader. Nick Riewoldt stars in a video where his side won 10 games in a row. I know who has been the true leader of men.
Sold the message that led to a flag that he knew he was never likely to be a part of from the beginning. Very selfless.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
As far as our Leadership (and our team as well) goes, we should make changes - before we need to make changes.
I would make Lewis captain for next year.
Freshen up the Leadership Group whilst Hodge & Mitch are still there.
Shiels & Gunston VCs.
One of them to take over in 2018.

Would Lewis be a better captain than Hodge? No. So Hodge stays as captain (unless he wants to relinquish it).

MistyAvalon

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees , Roosters
Can't believe Hodgey has gone from 'best captain there is' to 'time for him to hand over' :confused: He stays as captain for mine as long as he keeps playing and is happy to keep captaining. Regardless of the odd suspension and anything off the field he is still the best person for the job by a mile. Talk about a knee jerk reaction :rolleyes:

Let's be real here. week after week we see our boys pinged for imagined crimes. we see other teams get off scott free when we are at the MRP........ we cvop three weeks when others cop one............ Hodgey for capn as long as he wants it.........cos that is what being a Hawk is a bout.. Wanting to be part of it

MistyAvalon

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees , Roosters
Mainly because people who have little idea about footy or have never been involved in footy clubs think that the best player must necessarily be the captain. Could you imagine GA Senior as captain? The bloke didn't communicate at the best of times.

years ago I remember my dad picking a kid as capt of the cricket team he coached. No one said anything......... but sheesh..wtf... the kid was a bit of a no hoper we thought.... but as captn.. wel he was never a really great cricketer, but he could inspire............

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
years ago I remember my dad picking a kid as capt of the cricket team he coached. No one said anything......... but sheesh..wtf... the kid was a bit of a no hoper we thought.... but as captn.. wel he was never a really great cricketer, but he could inspire............

To make that story a bit more relevant to anything that is being discussed it needs a punchier ending.

Can I suggest .... "and that kid went on to be become Sachin Tendulkar. The end."

Deal or whatever, Sammys form picked up once the Captaincy passsed to Hodge. I wonder if it would prolong Hodgies career at all if he passed it over at the end of next year, allowing him to concentrate purely on the footy rather than all the off field obligations that come with the role. Sure as s**t it wouln't detract from his role as our onfield general, it may even improve, or at least sustain longer.

Putting the pressure onto Shiels, I just don't think he's ready for it yet. If we were a young club without other options, no other senior players suited, beginning a rebuild etc, it may be an option to throw it his way next. I still think Lewis is still our best option in the near future. Not saying Shiels or someone else ain't gonna be a better one, but not over the next few years at least. The guy is still developing, his time will come.

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
Order of Succession should be:
Lewis
Roughead
Shiels

After that too far into future, could have Gunston or Frawley up there to consider. Unknown who's going to step up next to Shiels in midfield. Does Smith display leadership qualities?

Back