Opinion Hawthorn's next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

The day we allow media presence to dictate alongside and over the capacity to take men in to battle is the day we follow Bruce McAvaney and stupid Coke Bottles Purple through the banner. There must come a point where the meaningless bullshit defers to the essence of the game.

While I am very sympathetic to your stance, I think commercial reality stands in the way.

When the TV rights are worth $2.5 billion I think the media owns a larger chunk of the that AFL than the fans do.

You can get any number of management consultants into the club and they will all tell you that the key driver of on field success is MONEY.

Cash flow a followed by the managing of the cash and then the internal management systems of the club are the primary critical success factors for a team. Everything else flows from this.

After all how many of the poorer clubs have won flags in the last 40 -50 years?

Other than North absolutely none (bearing in mind that Sydney and Brisvegas were both propped up by the AFL's cheating via outrageously bloated salary caps).

The money comes from the corporates and supporters.

In media driven footy the captain along with the senior coach are the media faces of the club and the same goes for all of the important corporate functions.

And while on field success drives the membership and sucks in the kids into supporting the club, one should never underestimate the role of the public profile of the club particularly its media image and how that drives the year on year revenues especially the sponsorships.

Without our sponsorships etc. we are not going to be able to raises the money to do star base Dingely and put us back in front of the pack for a while in terms of training facilities.

A modern captain can not be allowed to be a self-centred lazy selfish self-serving nuff like god boy at the GC cocaine appreciation society, who could not be bothered giving the media the time of day.

A modern captain has to be a sound media performers and ideally, a greasy corporate schmoozer like Judd.

It is all highly interactive all of these feedback loops of supporters, cash flow, corporates, money for facilities, attracting quality recruits on the market, being well governed, having a coherent strategic vision and implementation, getting a strong coaching group, having on field success et al. but selecting a captain is one simple thing that the club can control that has enormous impact on our presence in the footballing market place.

Last edited:
Other than North absolutely none (bearing in mind that Sydney and Brisvegas were both propped up by the AFL's cheating via outrageously bloated salary caps).

The money comes from the corporates and supporters.

Hmmm......North had an outstanding Captain who made the players around him a lot better than they were but is only now growing into his media friendly skin (I have a bit of time for him tbh - no one is perfect and he has taken a long time to grow up, in the public eye, but grow up he has - eventually).

Corporates vs Members is pretty simple really - members bring in more cash and it's a hell of a lot harder to piss off rusted on supporters than fly by night corporations.

If I was a corporate - I'd want to be part of the Hawthorn brand, and I would definitely want to be part of the Luke Hodge brand.

After reading the article on the AFL website about Hawthorn's next captain, I'd like to see who everyone thinks it'll be. In the article, Hodgey said that he thinks Liam Shiels is the next captain, because he said he wants to play for a few more years. He also said that Isaac Smith and Cyril Rioli both have great leadership qualities, but honestly I can't see Cyril becoming captain because he's too quiet and I honestly don't think he shows good leadership on the field during games.

Here's the article anyways: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-16/the-next-hawks-skipper

I could see Shiels as the next Hawthorn captain, but he would need to cement his spot in the 22 first.

Anyways, thoughts?

Cement his spot in the side? He is well and truly cemented in that team.
Shiels is the possibly the most underrated player in the comp. Hawks best run with player, most tackles and 1 of the teams best contested ball winners and was leading inside 50's for the team last year. Shiels would be fringe A grade player. Next captain I'm not sure about that but who else?
Hodge is 1 of the best captains the game has ever seen and can keep that mantle for as long as he wants it in my opinion. image.jpg

Last edited:
Gunston should be a candidate for next captain IMO
Might go ok but doesnt seem to be a "natural" just yet.

We have been spoilt with Sam and Hodgey.....natural leaders by the way that they lead from the front.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Might go ok but doesnt seem to be a "natural" just yet.

We have been spoilt with Sam and Hodgey.....natural leaders by the way that they lead from the front.

Don't expect to have another leader as good as Hodge and Mitchell in a hurry, if you do prepare to be disappointed.

Cement his spot in the side? He is well and truly cemented in that team.
Shiels is the possibly the most underrated player in the comp. Hawks best run with player, most tackles and 1 of the teams best contested ball winners and was leading inside 50's for the team last year. Shiels would be fringe A grade player. Next captain I'm not sure about that but who else?
Hodge is 1 of the best captains the game has ever seen and can keep that mantle for as long as he wants it in my opinion.View attachment 193197

In fairness he said that in 2014. However - he was still well and truly a week in and week out player then. Shiels is only 24 and has played 124 games and for many years now is only out of the team if injured.

I'm convinced that Shiels is a magician - he even manages to hide his talents from some Hawthorn fans. Definitely should be VC under a Lewis captaincy if Hodge passes the baton.

In fairness he said that in 2014. However - he was still well and truly a week in and week out player then. Shiels is only 24 and has played 124 games and for many years now is only out of the team if injured.

I'm convinced that Shiels is a magician - he even manages to hide his talents from some Hawthorn fans. Definitely should be VC under a Lewis captaincy if Hodge passes the baton.

Hodge won't be passing the baton and Lewis is 30 in April, Lewis will never captain HFC.

Gunston should be a candidate for next captain IMO

Not heard the club ever mention his leadership skills to be honest....

Would be very surprised.

It's Lewis or Rough and guys like Smith, McEvoy and Stratts in the mix for the leadership group.

Next bunch includes Shiels, Langers, Whitey if he gets back, etc for mine...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea to be honest. Some players play better when captains and others not so much. Wanting to do it is pretty important. Having the ability and temperament is also important

Hodge won't be passing the baton and Lewis is 30 in April, Lewis will never captain HFC.
Agree.

J.L. is not a leader imho.

He doesnt inspire as much as he used too...can be undisciplined and is not able to drag himself into a match and have an impact if he is having an off day.

Good accumulator of possessions...but doesnt always give much bang for buck to the team.

People have to take into account Lewis is only 2 years younger than Hodge and Roughead will be 30 before 2017 begins...

Both deserve the captaincy.

The Team is so equal that there are several options.

Oddly Gibson does not seem to poll well.No offence.

Reckon the dominoes will fall in Shiels favour. Timing.

The 'Kid" was training part time b4 his debut against Adelaide.

Birchall?
Hodge for as long as he plays (hopefully a couple more seasons) then a Birchall / Shiels combo. If Hodge steps down early the Lewis for 2 years & Shiels to follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back