Roast Hayden Crozier

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Playing Ballantyne's role, regardless of who, is the one of the hardest on the team. Ballas himself wasn't in great form either, averaging low numbers and hardly even kicking a goal. Don't get why average small forwards average 2-3 goals a game by staying forward of the play and crumbing, when Ballas/Walters play so high up the ground, that their output is limited anyway. The inside 50s we have mean nothing when Croizer/Walters/Ballas aren't even around the packs to collect the loose ball.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo players don't like kicking it to him I noticed being at the game on Sunday. He works hard to make good position, but players seem to ignore him.

This is a symptom of a wider problem: our players are unable to hit up targets in the forward 50. We are the Fremantle Bombers "Bombing it forward" is our game plan.

Grandstan

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
We had high hopes for Croz, unfortunately the OP is on the money in that he's not staked a claim for a spot like we hoped he would. It's not just his lack of ball, but his lack of composure with it in hand.
It's touch and go whether Ballas will make it back this year, but see no reason Croz wouldn't make way when that time comes.

darkshines

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not excusing his form, cos he was shizen, but play him in his best spot - cheating, arsey forward. But we cant cos that role is filled by a tackler who has forgotten how to kick goals.

Crozier would go to Hawthorn and be grouse.

Ausbenito

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not excusing his form, cos he was shizen, but play him in his best spot - cheating, arsey forward. But we cant cos that role is filled by a tackler who has forgotten how to kick goals.

Crozier would go to Hawthorn and be grouse.

Cant see him ever getting a game in front of Rioili,Breust or Puopolo all play his role very well.

tek87

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
wow this did not take long. all year the so called 'supporters' have been roasting Ballantyne and Mayne and pumping up Crozier. Now weeks later it's Crozier. we have a 19 page thread where some are roasting Ross lyon despite taking clearly not the top list to first place at this stage of the season. same supporters were pumping up Mzungu and now shitting all over him. someone should create a roast for so called 'supporters"

tek87

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Playing Ballantyne's role, regardless of who, is the one of the hardest on the team. Ballas himself wasn't in great form either, averaging low numbers and hardly even kicking a goal. Don't get why average small forwards average 2-3 goals a game by staying forward of the play and crumbing, when Ballas/Walters play so high up the ground, that their output is limited anyway. The inside 50s we have mean nothing when Croizer/Walters/Ballas aren't even around the packs to collect the loose ball.

it mostly a game now about numbers around the ball and defensive schemes when you dont have the ball. the game is completely different

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
it mostly a game now about numbers around the ball and defensive schemes when you dont have the ball. the game is completely different
Get all that but there is a balance that the top 4 teams can do with the small forwards. If you watch Hawthorn/West Coast/Sydney, players like Breust, Puopolo, LeCras do play the small forward role at least 50-60% of the game, they don't get as sucked in to the play then Mayne/Ballas/Croizer/Walters often do. With us, Walters/Mayne lead far up the ground, particularly around the defensive 50. That's all fine and good, but when we need goals, it's frustrating to watch.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Get all that but there is a balance that the top 4 teams can do with the small forwards. If you watch Hawthorn/West Coast/Sydney, players like Breust, Puopolo, LeCras do play the small forward role at least 50-60% of the game, they don't get as sucked in to the play then Mayne/Ballas/Croizer/Walters often do. With us, Walters/Mayne lead far up the ground, particularly around the defensive 50. That's all fine and good, but when we need goals, it's frustrating to watch.

Crozier took a mark in the first and turned and on screen you could see his indecision. He ended up hitting a target and the commentators made mention about how good the kick was because he had nothing to kick to. This is just a small example of what you're talking about. He took the mark about 70m out from the defensive end and hit a beautiful 45m lazor to someone on the wing. That's a lot of hard work just to get to that position!

aussieviking

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Esperance
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
swan districts
My solution to the Crozier dilemma .Danyl Pearce is butchering the ball up the ground.Swap him and Croziers roles. I think it would be a win win

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crozier would be much better for a different club. Truth is Ross Lyon restricts what he can do and doesn't allow him to play with any freedom. Watch his draft highlights, the bloke oozes x factor, was flying for marks (took one of the best marks you'll see for a kid) and could kick goals from anywhere. Ross doesn't let him fly for marks, it's always defensive work first. Hes a good player who isn't playing anywhere near his potential and in my opinion, if he stays at Fremantle, he probably never will. I honestly believe hes better off elsewhere and if he decides to leave at years end (get the feelings it's a good chance of happening) he'll be a good recruit for any team. He should be further up the ground, he can kick it 50+ and accurately, play him on wing and let him use his kicking and speed to our advantage. Hes being poorly used come gameday, I notice he gets high numbers for Peel, so hes probably being used better for Peel than hes being used for Freo come game day.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Don't really think he deserves a roast thread. Has been guilty of some rushed kicks into the forward line last game, but is a good mark and great kick. Much less frustrating than Ballas to watch. I personally think he's worth keeping.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't really think he deserves a roast thread. Has been guilty of some rushed kicks into the forward line last game, but is a good mark and great kick. Much less frustrating than Ballas to watch. I personally think he's worth keeping.

I want to keep him too. His potential is through the roof and we've all seen what he is capable of i.e. that holding the ball on Burgoyne or his 3 goals last year against Geelong.

Just hasn't shown it this year unfortunately.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has Crozier ever taken a hanger in our forward line? Some of his leaps/grabs from years ago were ridiculous. It was one of the best things about his game, and seems to have been completely eradicated.

People say he should be playing further up the ground, I almost wish he would be given some time closer to goal and let him just go for screamers or try to use his leap like say Rioli. We bomb the ball in anyway, it's not like we would be sacrificing pinpoint passes to a KPF steaming out on a lead. Even if it didn't work much, at least give him the freedom to play an attack-minded role.

Back