Makedonija

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2009
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aston Villa, Preston Lions
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this yet, so I decided to make one.

I've never really been into card games on the computer, but this looks like a lot of fun. I've been watching a few streams lately and it looks damn addictive. Not to mention there seems to be a growing trend towards free games, with in-game based content available for sale, so the marketing potential is fairly big.

Anyone been lucky enough to get a closed beta-key and had the opportunity to trial the game yet? As for the others, who's looking forward to it?

Started watching a bit of this on YouTube, certainly looks like something I could get in to. Simple enough for non-trading card people like myself to get a hang of. Open beta supposedly next month.

Been playing for a while now. For anyone interested in CCG (I was big on those back in the day) it's obviously closely tied to those. I would argue it's simpler and more luck based, but still dependant on skill to differentiate enough and a great game to just sit down and play.

I generally sit on ventrilo with some mates who are playing at the same time, but it has that atmosphere of online poker (or civ!) where it's easy to spend time and is intellectually stimulating without being like an RTS/fps.

Arena is similar to drafting, for those who played mtg or similar, and you've got constructed where you build your deck from the cards you've unlocked (base cards through playing, the rest through booster packs essentially).

Any questions on the game, shoot.

I managed to get a key, so I've been playing this for a few weeks now. Syphon more or less summed it up. It's one of those games you can chuck on for a bit if you just feel like relaxing and doing other things while you play. I usually play while a few other mates who have the game are on skype as well.

There does seem to be a fair amount of luck involved in terms of the cards you draw vs the cards your opponent draws. That's good from the perspective that it gives the more basic decks a genuine chance of knocking off people who have managed to get a bunch of legendaries/epics/rares from packs or crafting. However, it can also be frustrating in that you therefore may lose purely based on the luck of the draw. At the end of the day, the two seem to balance each other quite well and the overall structure is successful. Yet, on the balance of probabilities, someone with better cards will generally win provided there is a minimal difference in the skill level of two players.

I made my way to platinum division fairly quickly, but I've since stopped playing ranked games. It's just too difficult to compete with some of the decks people have. I'm trying to build up my card collection before I make a permanent move back to ranked games. There are a few balancing issues, but those will sort themselves out over time. The priest in particular seems to be the most overpowered of the lot.

It really is the simple things that make Hearthstone fun to play. The somewhat interactive environment around the board, the animations of different cards (in particular golden cards), the voice overs, etc, all make the gaming experience a whole lot better.

Any news on open beta? Still haven't managed to snag a key.

They just did a major patch and reworked ranked and arena. Apparently there will be seasons in ranked that reset each month.

There is speculation that they will run this "season" until the end of December to text it then open the flood gates for open beta.

Its a very fun game, i was never massive into CCGs when i was younger but this i think could suck a lot of people in. Its simple yet the competitive crowd are lapping it up. Blizz are on to a winner here.

They just did a major patch and reworked ranked and arena. Apparently there will be seasons in ranked that reset each month.

There is speculation that they will run this "season" until the end of December to text it then open the flood gates for open beta.

Its a very fun game, i was never massive into CCGs when i was younger but this i think could suck a lot of people in. Its simple yet the competitive crowd are lapping it up. Blizz are on to a winner here.

Yep, never really played a card game in my life but watching videos of this is rather captivating. The polish and little things really make it look like a blast.

Hopefully you're right on the open beta, very keen to jump in.

Alright, I am well and truly addicted to this game. Nice being able to play a competitive game at a slower pace. Highly recommend everyone has a go when it enters open beta.

Ive had a key for a couple of months. Cracking game, very addictive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sunk so many hours in yesterday. Such a wonderful distillation of the MTG formula and perfectly designed for online play.

Still dislike the RNG and small pool of cards on offer, but that (limited cards anyway) should be fixed when the game launches and some expansions/updates get released.

Only other gripe at the moment is there isn't any incentive to play constructed. Will be good when they offer rewards for how you perform in a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back