Traded Heath Shaw for Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Never said that I said he is worth 25-30 which is correct.

Please yourself - reality is that we traded a very good player that we didn't want for a very promising youngster (who was also chased by Geelong). We also ended up with 2 picks in the top 10.

It really doesn't matter if people think he is a 2nd rounder. Adams is a very good player with 2 years development who should be solid straight away.

Why do people think Shaw is at the end of his career? He has plenty of football left in him.

im not saying its a bad trade but once the trade goes through all of a sudden everyone here seems to think Shaw is cooked as a player, will be a bad influence etc etc...while completely ignoring the fact that he is actually a pretty dam good player which will stiffen GWS' backline and weaken Collingwoods (yes i know Collingwood have some young replacements like Williams but obviously none of them are as good as Shaw right now).

im not saying its a bad trade but once the trade goes through all of a sudden everyone here seems to think Shaw is cooked as a player, will be a bad influence etc etc...while completely ignoring the fact that he is actually a pretty dam good player which will stiffen GWS' backline and weaken Collingwoods (yes i know Collingwood have some young replacements like Williams but obviously none of them are as good as Shaw right now).

Yeh, pretty much spot on. GWS have a proven gun defender who can realistically give them 4-5 years.

Yeh, pretty much spot on. GWS have a proven gun defender who can realistically give them 4-5 years.

4-5 years might be a pipe-dream...not saying it won't happen through.

I think even if he only lasts the 2 years his experience and leadership for the young players is worth it anyway.

4-5 years might be a pipe-dream...not saying it won't happen through.

I think even if he only lasts the 2 years his experience and leadership for the young players is worth it anyway.

so win-win really i think at this stage. we'll see what kind of player Adams becomes. Wouldnt say Collingwood 'killed it' like some others but a good trade nevertheless. Shrewd rebuild getting lots of talented kids.

While Im wary about Adams, due to queries I've got over his size and skills, I think there were about 3 players in the AFL younger than him who found more of the footy in 2013. Given he's a contested ball winning type, that's a pretty good sign. Albeit he was perhaps getting prime midfield time with a bad team he might not have gotten in a better one.

Seriously? Im pretty sure Shaw's exposed form has been a lot better than Adams'....

But all that form is in his past and it will be hard pressed to see it again.
Adams has a good 10 years of quality football ahead of him.

The Pies have seriously shafted the Giants here.

But all that form is in his past and it will be hard pressed to see it again.
Adams has a good 10 years of quality football ahead of him.

The Pies have seriously shafted the Giants here.

Rhys Palmer springs to mind. Hoping Adams won't be a replica of him but we have to be honest and say he's got a skill set which is handy but by no means unique. If he fills Luke Ball's position that is valuable but he'll never be A grade in his position.

Rhys Palmer springs to mind. Hoping Adams won't be a replica of him but we have to be honest and say he's got a skill set which is handy but by no means unique. If he fills Luke Ball's position that is valuable but he'll never be A grade in his position.

I'm sure you would have said tha about Mitchell about 8 years ago.

I'm sure you would have said tha about Mitchell about 8 years ago.

Sure and then someone can offer up Scully, or Watts.

The point remains that Adams is not a known quantity whereas Shaw is. In that case you have to say the trade with GWS is fair because one player is a bankable commodity to any team while the future of Adams is yet to be written.

Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled to land Adams but I'm just pointing out that the Shaw/Adams trade was entirely equitable.

The point remains that Adams is not a known quantity whereas Shaw is. In that case you have to say the trade with GWS is fair because one player is a bankable commodity to any team while the future of Adams is yet to be written.

Yep cant say Collingwood have 'shafted' or 'killed' GWS in this trade yet as Adams may not become the superstar people here are claiming. Maybe he will be the next Sam Mitchell, but yeah could be the next Rhys Palmer, David Meyers etc.

Yep cant say Collingwood have 'shafted' or 'killed' GWS in this trade yet as Adams may not become the superstar people here are claiming. Maybe he will be the next Sam Mitchell, but yeah could be the next Rhys Palmer, David Meyers etc.

I don't see any value in 'killing' a club in a trade, especially a club like GWS who may have a lot to offer us in the future. A scorched earth policy does nothing for future relations.

You try to drive home any advantage when you can but I don't see this trade in those terms at all. Shaw met a need for GWS and Adams fills a list requirement for us too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see any value in 'killing' a club in a trade, especially a club like GWS who may have a lot to offer us in the future. A scorched earth policy does nothing for future relations.

You try to drive home any advantage when you can but I don't see this trade in those terms at all. Shaw met a need for GWS and Adams fills a list requirement for us too.

exactly. im sure the clubs see it as a reasonably fair deal but some people ITT keep saying Collingwood are big winners...

But you were cooked when Ross Lyon said you were, so he bailed. If you'd have traded Dal santo and Montagna etc back then, you'd have received similar value to what Shaw netted us.

But you rolled the dice and came up SNAKE EYES!

There is so much wrong with this post you wouldnt bother attempting to pll you up. Ridiculous in fact.

You mean it was built around the time of the pies 2002/2003 premiership challenging team?

I know your taking the piss but I imagine that youve forgotten about Pendlbry Thomas Cloke Shaw?

Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled to land Adams but I'm just pointing out that the Shaw/Adams trade was entirely equitable.

Generally agree, although I do think that it slightly advantaged us.

so win-win really i think at this stage. we'll see what kind of player Adams becomes. Wouldnt say Collingwood 'killed it' like some others but a good trade nevertheless. Shrewd rebuild getting lots of talented kids.

The real win is Collingwood trading to get 2 top 10 picks. Apart from GWS no one else has done that.
Adams will be a good solid player and hopefully a replacement for Ball. I'd be happy with that

Both clubs have done well.

Most of the Giants fans didn't want buddy, we wanted players that would improve our list in specific positions. Shaw and Mumford do that. The fact the Pies are paying 75k (though being reported up here as 100k) for the 1st 2 years helps even it out.

this is probably another thread but where do you see your gaps/shortfalls now? Apart from lack of experience of course.
You seem to need another tall back

this is probably another thread but where do you see your gaps/shortfalls now? Apart from lack of experience of course.
You seem to need another tall back

Really need to see what happens in the offseason. 1st year we ran out 2 quarters, 2nd year ran out 3. This year we are finally doing a 100% off season soooo.... Will be interesting to see what happens especially with the new players coming in. Cubby says he is still confident of getting another hard body by tomorrow. Will be interesting.

Really need to see what happens in the offseason. 1st year we ran out 2 quarters, 2nd year ran out 3. This year we are finally doing a 100% off season soooo.... Will be interesting to see what happens especially with the new players coming in. Cubby says he is still confident of getting another hard body by tomorrow. Will be interesting.

Well clearly next year GWS will be running out 4 quarters. Of more interest to me is what happens in 2015? Will the AFL introduce a fifth quarter, or a fifth if you will, to accommodate the development of GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back