Not open for further replies.

nesko_25

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2006
In a cave
AFL Club
Essendon
Started a new thread to keep things neat and speedy

Watched the Colbo-H'cote game on Saturday. First quarter was tight with Colbo's bad kicking for goal countered by a 9 to 1 free kick count in their favour.
Obviously second was all H'cote. Seemed that they were doing what works best for them, down the corridor to Meldrum (who was on fire)and/or Featherstone. Couple of telling injuries, with Condon going down with a hammy the most significant, and C.Anderson with back.
Colbo really got going third quarter, all credit to them. Any ball that went past H'cote half forward line was generally too wide, or turned over. Not good enough for half backs to kick indiscriminately but pressure from Colbo was felt, and H'cote paid dearly for it. Harley and Nielsen injured in last quarter.
Good win for Colbo. They would have been glad to get away with it. For those on this thread who write off H'cote, do a comparison with the record of other teams in the HDFL against Colbo season 2009.

Meldrum showed his football/coaching ability and nous in last years grand final by being ordinary in the first half(although they lead by 4 goals) then moving himself out of the ruck and putting lech in the ruck after being the main factor for their 4 goal lead from centre half forward.They may have got beaten anyway due to Colbos great running players such as Cheezel Johnson and Patty OBrien who I reckon is the best on baller in our league(runs both ways)
Despite Meldrum Heathcote must be still a big chance considering their injuries and disappointment/motivation from last year when maybe they shoul;d have won

You must be a keen stats man you actually counted the free kicks,? any chance they were there,? wouldn't say people are necessarily writing H'cote off, but a club like Colbo that has a impeccable finals record and the best current form why would you tip against them.?

i think elmore are a bit short priced for a side that is likely to play in an elimination final . LBU I think match up very well on them also , they have beaten them twice this year also , anything can happen in finals .

Arab , not far off with ya Tony " the Honeymoon" Baker :D playing he would be a massive help to the cats , he had the same injury woes with us 2 years ago , i feel for the lad he's a big talent

howmuch

Senior List
Nov 21, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
nil
See Bomber Bennett named for Nth in the paper today, I was told earlier in the week that he would miss the last 2 games because of personal reasons.
Anyway Bomber thoughts and wishes to you and your family from all at the YCW football club. Thinking of you all.

nesko_25

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2006
In a cave
AFL Club
Essendon
I see Sawyer has stepped down as coach and Hilles are all ready lookingplacement. While I personally think its highly unlikely, I have heard that they believe they may have already found a coach, someone already in the HDFL involved at another club.

Also have heard that Huntly are thinking about the LV as they are finding it hard to compete. Would b a huge loss for the league

Sacrificial Lamb

Senior List
May 1, 2008
woodend
AFL Club
St Kilda
Trottyboya
BigFooty Apprentice

Richmond

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to a very astute saints follower and rub down extraordinaire, the saints are gone. Cant run out games coz half of em dont front tuesday or are too worried about sneaking over to Yea for sunday sessions.

Few in the RDFL think Meldrum might return to Macedon in 2010.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I see Sawyer has stepped down as coach and Hilles are all ready lookingplacement. While I personally think its highly unlikely, I have heard that they believe they may have already found a coach, someone already in the HDFL involved at another club.

Also have heard that Huntly are thinking about the LV as they are finding it hard to compete. Would b a huge loss for the league

Name the rumoured coach nesko

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/general/staying-put/1588247.aspx

^^^ This article entitled 'STAYING PUT' might put that one somewhat to bed, with Huntly President saying their future is definitely with the HDFL.

A few questions needs to be raised though in terms of Huntly. And I am in no way trolling them ala the treatment Kyneton receive on the BFL thread.

- Have they got the right people in charge? If they need to be looking for a VCFL report to tell them if they are doing anything wrong, maybe some fresh ideas from higher intellects are warranted.

- What if the VCFL report just says head out to the LVFL? Will it change anything longterm?

- If they are going 'so well' off field, perhaps this confirms something myself and others have thought for some time, that they are paying the wrong players, and paying them too much?!

8 Wooden spoons in a row :eek: and 126 games for six wins, one draw and 119 losses since the end of 2001 is putrid and must be so hard for the players to swallow week in, week out.

dennis cheese

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2009
wolf creek

Huge loss for the League but massive gain for Huntly. They'd fit into 4th position quite easily in the lodden valley as they would beat marong and bridgey. Wouldnt be up to calivil miti and pyramid though. Strange decision after gaining new rooms and all out there....

Dino37

Draftee
Aug 10, 2009
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Long time reader of the HDFL forum - first time post. A seven-team comp if Huntly was to leave would really upset the strong reputation of the HDFL, unless of course the executive manage to coax the team from up north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Long time reader of the HDFL forum - first time post. A seven-team comp if Huntly was to leave would really upset the strong reputation of the HDFL, unless of course the executive manage to coax the team from up north.

Welcome Dino37, the continued improvement in standard of the HDFL I reckon says it needs to be a minimum 9 team comp (with u/18's) to justify it - although I reckon the powers that be would already be working on ways for this to occur in the not too distant future.

Dino37

Draftee
Aug 10, 2009
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Welcome Dino37, the continued improvement in standard of the HDFL I reckon says it needs to be a minimum 9 team comp (with u/18's) to justify it - although I reckon the powers that be would already be working on ways for this to occur in the not too distant future.
Thanks for the welcome Doona! I agree about a nine-team comp, however I have felt for a few years now that the ever-increasing standard of the HDFL may ultimately be its downfall. It seems that the teams in the bottom half are usually the same year in and year out.

oldmanemu

Senior List
Aug 6, 2006
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/general/staying-put/1588247.aspx

^^^ This article entitled 'STAYING PUT' might put that one somewhat to bed, with Huntly President saying their future is definitely with the HDFL.

A few questions needs to be raised though in terms of Huntly. And I am in no way trolling them ala the treatment Kyneton receive on the BFL thread.

- Have they got the right people in charge? If they need to be looking for a VCFL report to tell them if they are doing anything wrong, maybe some fresh ideas from higher intellects are warranted.

- What if the VCFL report just says head out to the LVFL? Will it change anything longterm?

- If they are going 'so well' off field, perhaps this confirms something myself and others have thought for some time, that they are paying the wrong players, and paying them too much?!

8 Wooden spoons in a row :eek: and 126 games for six wins, one draw and 119 losses since the end of 2001 is putrid and must be so hard for the players to swallow week in, week out.

The people in charge at Huntly love the club. They are the right people to run it. The Pres and VP are as passionate about their team as anyone I have seen. The club is going better off-field and now have their own social rooms, which are a major bonus to clubs, and every other club has had them for years, which puts the Hawks behind. Unfortunately that translates to onfield where it is harder to get players to a club that has finished last so many times, and keeping them. They have a dozen new senior players a year which makes it tough. The wheel will begin to turn, but it still may take another couple of years, but whilst they aren't winning senior games, they are getting games into players who will improve, and they do have some good kids out there, so good luck to the Hawks, and a great effort last week against Heathcote.

MtMen

Senior List
Feb 20, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Huntly heading for an 8th straight spoon.
Calivil heading for a 7th straight flag.

Sound to me like a good argument to merge the two leagues and have a Div 1 and Div 2.

Players at all clubs are pretty much based in Bendigo so no real travel issues.
Both leagues have U/17's.

Possibility of some jumper clashes though - i.e. us and inglewood if happen to be in the same division, but they can change theirs :D

betterinthewet

Debutant
May 20, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Huge loss for the League but massive gain for Huntly. ey as they would beat marong and bridgey. Wouldnt be up to calivil miti and They'd fit into 4th position quite easily in the lodden vallpyramid though. Strange decision after gaining new rooms and all out there....
you w***er.how much lv footy have you watched this year.ive caught 8to 10 games this season and went to see colbo-nth sat to watch weeks kick his hundred.nth were terrible and would struggle to make the 5 in lv on sats effort.colbo were good but not that good.i hope your basing these stupid statments on rumours because if ur not ur not to bright when it comes to judging football ability

The Big Arab

Senior List
Feb 15, 2008
close
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
National Coits Team
you w***er.how much lv footy have you watched this year.ive caught 8to 10 games this season and went to see colbo-nth sat to watch weeks kick his hundred.nth were terrible and would struggle to make the 5 in lv on sats effort.colbo were good but not that good.i hope your basing these stupid statments on rumours because if ur not ur not to bright when it comes to judging football ability

In stating "Colbo are goo but not that good" I cant see any team beating them from the LV from the games I saw this year. Pyramid played YCW at Bacchus earlier in the year and that was ordinary too.
North had a bad day and Colbo only did what they had to so I wouldnt judge the standard from that game.

dennis cheese

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2009
wolf creek

No need to get personal. Just an educated statement! I wasnt being smart at all mate, I seriously KNOW that Nth would easily be top 3 in LVFL and huntly would make top 5. Massive difference in standard. Marong played Nth full strength (which they will deny) except maybe two players whilst Nth had half a team and Nth smashed them pre-season! Colbo, Heathcote and Elmore would seriously beat Pyramid, Miti and Calivil by 15 goals.:D

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
The people in charge at Huntly love the club. They are the right people to run it. The Pres and VP are as passionate about their team as anyone I have seen. The club is going better off-field and now have their own social rooms, which are a major bonus to clubs, and every other club has had them for years, which puts the Hawks behind. Unfortunately that translates to onfield where it is harder to get players to a club that has finished last so many times, and keeping them. They have a dozen new senior players a year which makes it tough. The wheel will begin to turn, but it still may take another couple of years, but whilst they aren't winning senior games, they are getting games into players who will improve, and they do have some good kids out there, so good luck to the Hawks, and a great effort last week against Heathcote.

The only query I have here is that passion, love and enthusiasm may only get you so far. I have all these things in bucketloads for the Carlton FC but I am in no way shape or form the man to be running the show down there. Any people involved in country footy teams are going to have these qualities, it's pretty much a pre requisite for those people who do a fantastic job week in, week out.

My concern is that perhaps after 8 seasons, the wheel has not turned at all and it has just been a constant struggle and quite frankly and embarrassment. Maybe some new people to join forces or even replace those there with some greater expertise and connections would be advantageous?!

Although IF these young players are keen to stay on board, and the new look Huntly ground does level the playing field then perhaps a couple more years thing will start to happen for the hapless hawks, i'm no expert.

My concerns about the players and payments remains though...

betterinthewet

Debutant
May 20, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In stating "Colbo are goo but not that good" I cant see any team beating them from the LV from the games I saw this year. Pyramid played YCW at Bacchus earlier in the year and that was ordinary too.
North had a bad day and Colbo only did what they had to so I wouldnt judge the standard from that game.
arab, never said they would but to state that huntly would easily make the 5 in the lv is plain ridiculous and i have also seen a game between hills and huntly this year that was plain embarassing.

betterinthewet

Debutant
May 20, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No need to get personal. Just an educated statement! I wasnt being smart at all mate, I seriously KNOW that Nth would easily be top 3 in LVFL and huntly would make top 5. Massive difference in standard. Marong played Nth full strength (which they will deny) except maybe two players whilst Nth had half a team and Nth smashed them pre-season! Colbo, Heathcote and Elmore would seriously beat Pyramid, Miti and Calivil by 15 goals.:D
i think i was right

Hellboy

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Melbourne

Seems your tripe is not just confined the the L.V thread denis. We played Stanhope and Mt Pleasant. Unless maybe you're talking about 2008 which was a 6 quarter game and not relevant to anything. Get your facts right before you start banging on with this crap again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back