Helmets

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this not going too far? To my knowledge this type of incident has happened once. Do we really need to change the world based on once incident?

That's what they are doing for the sharks in WA. Few fatal attacks and they start culling them.

The issue with helmets is that you generally don't get hit in the bits that offer the best protection.

When a ball is heading for your head your natural reaction is to protect your face and eyes. You turn your head away. This exposes the temple, back of head - more vulnerable and less protected areas.

Usually the only blows that hit the grill or peak are from top edges when it is completely unexpected for the batter and they don't have time to turn away.

The challenge for helmet manufacturers is to provide a helmet that looks sleek and modern, is comfortable, light weight, breathes easy and doesn't impact movement. Oh, and protects the head too. It's a balance that needs to be struck.

An incident like this might make customers more accepting of purchasing a more robust helmet that protects more surface area of the head but isn't as comfortable.

There's no design that will protect the player whilst still allowing maneuverability of the head. Only way is to wrap the entire player in cotton wool.

I think a solution will be found but agree it is unlikely to come from the helmet

Another thing is guys like Jordan Silk. I know a few on here have a bit of a laugh about his long neck, but having a long neck is going to leave a good bit of extra area unprotected.

Holy s**t, I thought he looked a bit odd but on second glance it's other-worldly.

372252-9158591a-7426-11e3-b21a-c1acf4d34253.jpg

article-2506919-196554E500000578-32_306x423.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can find it, the Masuri Helmets CEO spoke on SkySports in the UK about the helmet Phil was wearing and spoke well about the new helmet technology.

Definitely worth a look

I posted the link to the video a few posts above.

Was interesting.

Taking this discussion to the most ludicrous and ridiculous extreme to make a point, there are helmets out there today that offer protection pretty much to the whole head, but would be horrendous to wear playing cricket. So there's no good reason why a compromise between the player's comfort and protection can't be found, in my opinion.

I remember a kid being questioned on TV one day, asked if he was worried about getting hit by the ball. The kid said it didn't matter because he had a helmet. Wrong answer.

Have a mate who was surprised to learn that Hughes was wearing a helmet, because he thought that "if you're wearing a helmet, you're safe", and things like this didn't happen. Hopefully there aren't too many batsmen getting around with that mindset.

• Have a mate who was surprised to learn that Hughes was wearing a helmet, because he thought that "if you're wearing a helmet, you're safe", and things like this didn't happen. Hopefully there aren't too many batsmen getting around with that mindset.
I would say that there are thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands that share the same view, if there is to be any good come out of such a horrific situation it might be some awareness for every cricketer. Bottom line if that happens to one of us - we would be in a lot more trouble than Phillip Hughes - and that's not to understate his condition which is grim.

The issue with helmets is that you generally don't get hit in the bits that offer the best protection.

When a ball is heading for your head your natural reaction is to protect your face and eyes. You turn your head away. This exposes the temple, back of head - more vulnerable and less protected areas.

Usually the only blows that hit the grill or peak are from top edges when it is completely unexpected for the batter and they don't have time to turn away.

The challenge for helmet manufacturers is to provide a helmet that looks sleek and modern, is comfortable, light weight, breathes easy and doesn't impact movement. Oh, and protects the head too. It's a balance that needs to be struck.

An incident like this might make customers more accepting of purchasing a more robust helmet that protects more surface area of the head but isn't as comfortable.
it's obviously academic, but I'm not convinced had he been wearing the new lid that it might have deflected the ball away looking at that image.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back