Help Get 7 Sport To Broadcast in Full HD

Remove this Banner Ad

No point signing it until the legislation changes

What legislation? Digital switchover is finished.

Not exactly related to this but definitely not worth it's own thread.

Did anyone see the monitors at Etihad (bars or on the concourse/upper rows level 1) at any games in round 1? Not only was it two seconds out of sync, but it looked like a terrible quality pirate stream or something. Not sure if it was the same on the scoreboards. What was up with that?

Monitors on level 3 were behind the big screens.

It's appealing that the last time AFL games were in HD in FTA was when channel 10 had the rights.....

It's attrocious this game isn't in HD on FTA. Also for those who say oh SD and HD looks similar. Get your eyes checked.

I think you meant appalling and I agree with you totally.

I now pray that Blues games are broadcast by Fox and not 7. Unfortunately, only happens a few games a year.

BTW, I do find your avatar appealing though....;)

What legislation? Digital switchover is finished

the legislation still restricts broadcast to SD its still in effect, it was never restricted to the switch over period.
the digital change over literal finished last week nationally and there's no sunset clause on the legislation restricting the free to air channels to transmitting one channel in SD.

one channel in SD and two channels HD. for this change to come into effect they would need to shift seven two to being the SD channel and have seven as the second HD channel.

they cannot adhockly decided to show AFL in HD unless its on a HD channel. This means the footy either goes to 7Mate or channel 7 becomes a HD channel.

This problem has been done to death with cricket 9 SD vs Gem HD. FFS seven shoot footy games in HD, if it wasn't being restricted by the government the games would be broadcast in HD.

That is blatantly incorrect.

If they were shot in HD then when shown on Foxtel they would be in HD. They are not. Foxtel at least "upscale" the 7 SD feed so it looks "slightly" better but the games (including the Grand Final) are shot with SD cameras when it is a 7 Broadcast.

:confused: you've seen the photos its shot in HD its BROADCAST in SD fox gets access to sevens broadcast they don't get a direct feed from the cameras if the signal coming out of the truck is SD then all fox gets is SD. :drunk:

I would love to be proven wrong but I would like you to show me where they are using HD Cameras.
Pretty much all TV (including sport) in Australia is shot in HD. The cameras 7 uses at the footy are HD.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If that's the case, then it is absolutely criminal that Foxtel does not get access to that feed for the Game Replays at the very least.
Why would 7 want to give Foxtel a better feed if it wasn't negotiated into the contract? It would take viewers away from 7.

Something to consider

Ive been rooting round with this - i own a company that amongst things does home theatre and stuff

Im still researching the best ways of doing this and the best products - but here are a few options ive come up with so far :

i was at my old mans place the other day and noticed his receiver will upscale sd to hd - so plug in a decent set top box and voila - a bit of an improvement.

Then you have hard disc recorders - many of them can be throughput from a stb and upscale

Of course you get what you pay for

http://www.amazon.com/DVDO-iScan-Definition-Video-Processor/dp/B002Q8HQHE

That costs around 1100 smackers but does a really good job of it.

If i find a really good value for money product i will post that as well.

from page 6 of this thread!
The cameras 7 have at their games are HD cameras:
BRSOD33CEAAt4GE.jpg

BLHIs92CUAAWr1d.jpg

BHue0UxCYAE_v8W.jpg

The above picture shows just how different the picture clarity is when viewing through the different channels.

It's not the cameras, its the broadcast. same as this year fox have given Seven SD broadcasts for 7Mate, (which is just campaignerish)

Btw if you are watching sd on a hdtv lower your sharpness and take it off vivid / dynamic mode - it will suit sd better - reverse for hd

I would suggest people that cant tell the difference between hd and sd have the sharpness reduced, dynamic off, small tvs and crap eyesight

You would need this quadrella to not see the difference

Why would 7 want to give Foxtel a better feed if it wasn't negotiated into the contract? It would take viewers away from 7.

Pretty sure that Foxtel have paid a fair chunk of the broadcast rights as well. Just underlines the incompetence at the AFL for not mandating a HD option (whether 7 ot Foxtel) for every game broadcast.

Also, if it is shot in HD, why wouldn't Ch7 at least show in on 7Mate at the same time?? Are they worried about alienating the viewers of "Swamp People" and "Tattoo Nightmares", which happen to be the shows on 7Mate while they show a blurry Tigers/Blues game on 7 this coming Thursday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's the case, then it is absolutely criminal that Foxtel does not get access to that feed for the Game Replays at the very least.

I'm not sure you understand how TV is transmitted

seven's network truck receives the signal from the cameras cuts everything together for broadcast then transmits a SD signal to all of its stations.

Seven, 7Mate, 7 Prime etc

foxtel is simply added to the list of stations allowed to receive and retransmit the signal. These station then send the signal out over a local area and splice ad's (by turning off the actual transmission and transmitting something else at)

For foxtel to get it in HD, seven would need to transmit the broadcast in HD (that it wont use itself) or upload a copy of the master and send it to foxtel via a file sharing program or make a duplicate of the master and physical deliver it to foxtel. All at great cost to 7 for no benefit.

as I said foxtel shoot and transmit games in HD and yet the bastard's are supplying 7Mate SD transmission's where's your outrage for that?

I watched a fair bit of PGA Tour Golf and EPL this past weekend, and comparing the absolute clarity of those broadcasts to what Seven dished up on Friday night for the Bombers & North was a joke.

Not exactly how we want our great sport displayed.

I'm not sure you understand how TV is transmitted

seven's network truck receives the signal from the cameras cuts everything together for broadcast then transmits a SD signal to all of its stations.

Seven, 7Mate, 7 Prime etc

foxtel is simply added to the list of stations allowed to receive and retransmit the signal. These station then send the signal out over a local area and splice ad's (by turning off the actual transmission and transmitting something else at)

For foxtel to get it in HD, seven would need to transmit the broadcast in HD (that it wont use itself) or upload a copy of the master and send it to foxtel via a file sharing program or make a duplicate of the master and physical deliver it to foxtel. All at great cost to 7 for no benefit.

as I said foxtel shoot and transmit games in HD and yet the bastard's are supplying 7Mate SD transmission's where's your outrage for that?

Agree with all of your points.

So why would 7 not transmit the HD feed in HD for 7Mate??? They might actually get some people to watch 7Mate instead of Fox Footy.

I am sure I am not alone in that I watch EVERY Ch7 broadcast game on Fox anyway (no ads, upscaled image). If I could actually see the game in HD on 7Mate I would be there in an instant.

Pretty sure that Foxtel have paid a fair chunk of the broadcast rights as well. Just underlines the incompetence at the AFL for not mandating a HD option (whether 7 ot Foxtel) for every game broadcast.

Also, if it is shot in HD, why wouldn't Ch7 at least show in on 7Mate at the same time?? Are they worried about alienating the viewers of "Swamp People" and "Tattoo Nightmares", which happen to be the shows on 7Mate while they show a blurry Tigers/Blues game on 7 this coming Thursday.

ad's once again we go to the cricket channel 9 used to duel broadcast Gem in HD, 9 in SD they found they lost viewers to their own network.
because you pay for ad's on a per channel basis many cricket advertises only wanted ad's on gem (which has less viewer's and so ad space is cheaper) it caused headaches. and so 9 pulled up stumps and said * it the cricket will be broadcast on 1 channel only. hence forth they can guarantee the same viewer levels when they put it on gem because they tell everybody to switch over to gem then cut the channel 9 feed.

look at it this way 7 has 1.3 million viewers watching AFL for a game, this is primo advertising space. but if they put it on 7 and 7mate
seven gets 1 million viewers and 7Mate gets 300,000

if I'm selling ad's that focus on die hard footy fans I know the majority of the demographic would have switched over to 7Mate seven mate rating lower means I get lower advertising costs after all only 300,000 people watched it.

your only other option is to bundle ad's on two channels which then leads to network arguments over which channel deserves what percentage of ad revenue. Ad groups don't want to pay extra despite it being on two channels, because the addition cost doesn't ad enough viewers to be cost effective...............It's just messy, hence one channel.

the easiest way to get it sorted is to lift the restrictions on HD broadcasts allowing 7 to transmit which programs they want in HD and which ones in SD, rather then a per channel basis.

Time to catch up with the times and sell all games exclusively to pay tv like the EPL etc.

Then we can watch all games ad free in HD.

Time to catch up with the times and sell all games exclusively to pay tv like the EPL etc.

Then we can watch all games ad free in HD.

If we were going to go pay only id want it to be over the internet - i have zero interest in all the rest of the s**t on pay tv and zero interest in paying 50 a month for s**t i dont watch - wouldnt bother me to pay a subscription to an afl internet on demand and live broadcast though - especially hd

I do think however that sports being available on fta is cherished in this country and any politician thinking of making it pay tv only would suffer.

Also i think a generation of kids already priced out of going to games would not be exposed to it on tv - soccer would be rubbing their hands together at the thought - dont know if the afl would like that at all.

BHue0UxCYAE_v8W.jpg

The above picture shows just how different the picture clarity is when viewing through the different channels.
I had no idea the sd picture was so bad. I mean you compare the upscaled SD and realise that everything is smaller and further away, but then you look at the HD picture and it's like a totally different picture.

Broadcasting in HD will not get 7 any more viewers than it has now.

Think about it: If you have Fox Footy you don't care, it's just a preference.
If you only have 7 for the footy, what's your option? You'll watch the game regardless. Again, it's a preference.

None of this will affect the total ratings for 7's coverage of the footy.

They're not losing viewers to Fox because you still have to watch 7's coverage anyway. Obviously if Fox also broadcast the same games themselves in HD, then something would change.

Thus, no action.

What should be a little surprising and hasn't been mention is how the media haven't been whinging that AFL games aren't in HD? I'm quite surprised they haven't brought it up as an issue. Major sports have been in HD for a long long time now and AFL is in the middle ground between a minor sport and a major one I would say. End of the day if you have strong dominance in a 1.5 trillion economy as a sport (which the AFL does) it should be broadcast in HD and the AFL are gutless for nto having that put into the contracts.

AFL Media should be turning up the heat on that.

What should be a little surprising and hasn't been mention is how the media haven't been whinging that AFL games aren't in HD? I'm quite surprised they haven't brought it up as an issue. Major sports have been in HD for a long long time now and AFL is in the middle ground between a minor sport and a major one I would say. End of the day if you have strong dominance in a 1.5 trillion economy as a sport (which the AFL does) it should be broadcast in HD and the AFL are gutless for nto having that put into the contracts.

AFL Media should be turning up the heat on that.
Have a think about it...

The negotiations go something like this...
AFL: we want every game broadcast in HD.
7: due to broadcasting laws, we cannot do that on our main channel. As a result the rights are nowhere near as valuable and we will substantially decrease our bid. It's either less money and higher quality or more money and lower quality.
AFL: OK, SD will be fine until the broadcasting laws change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back