Herald Sun’s best team of the AFL era since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

They were scared, or they all demand to be picked?

Cmon then, who do you drop.
Carey Ablett Lockett Dunstall or Franklin?
Is this is a realistic team we are looking at? Or a list of the best 22 players??

I'd drop dunstall, lockett is better.

Carey at chf, lockett at ff. Ablett as the 3rd tall. Franklin is good enough to be a small forward/flanker even if he was a foot shorter so offfers that side to his game. But perhaps we can think of a better half forward flanker? Jarman?

St Nick comes out of the side too. No need for him with Ablett and Carey.

Is this is a realistic team we are looking at? Or a list of the best 22 players??

I'd drop dunstall, lockett is better.

Carey at chf, lockett at ff. Ablett as the 3rd tall. Franklin is good enough to be a small forward/flanker even if he was a foot shorter so offfers that side to his game. But perhaps we can think of a better half forward flanker? Jarman?

St Nick comes out of the side too. No need for him with Ablett and Carey.

Youre kidding. Dunstall was better than Lockett. Had Dunstall had a good run with injuries he would have kicked 1400 goals.

Youre kidding. Dunstall was better than Lockett. Had Dunstall had a good run with injuries he would have kicked 1400 goals.
This is a long debated topic. I rate lockett higher, you rate dunstall.

Swap them if you really like it doesn't change my point.

Why do you need to?
Youd be dropping one for a lesser player.
Afl teams generally need a balance. That team is too top heavy for mine. A Milne and jarman would turn that forward line much more dangerous and versatile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a long debated topic. I rate lockett higher, you rate dunstall.

Swap them if you really like it doesn't change my point.

Lockett was far superior man on man and forward compared to Dunstall who was a good leading forward compared to contesting. If Dunstall didnt have elite delivery of forward entries I would say he would struggle easily. Lockett did well and yet the Saints were on the whole a s**t team.

Goals is not everything. Just like having a high possession count, doesnt necessarily make you a great player.

In cricket Courtney Walsh was the leading wicket taker in Test cricket for a while but would easily struggle to make it to the best 2nd XI let along a first XI.

Dunstall was far the superior team player, and he did very well towards the of his career when delivery was no good.

If they measured forward pressure and assists back then, there would be no debate today

The backline does look very weak. I'd suggest they take a long hard look at Mick Martyn and Glen Archer and get back to us.

B: Archer - Scarlett - C. Scott
H.B: McLeod - Jakovich - Hodge
C: Matera - Voss - Buckley
H.F: Ablett Snr. - Carey - Franklin
F: D. Jarman - Locket - Akermanis
Ruck: D. Cox - Ablett Jnr. - Hird
I.C: Goodes - Ricciuto - Judd - Wanganeen

Gosh. That's actually pretty hard to do, particularly if you're going for balance as well. I suppose people could question Akermanis but aside from being a twat, he was an incredible footballer and twice the player Brent Harvey is. And D. Jarman has to be in the side. Behind Ablett Snr he is the single most naturally talented footballer I've ever seen play the game.

Goodes as back up ruck/key forward. Ricciuto - obviously could be on the field for any of Voss, Hird, or Buckley, but he can come off the bench as a mid/forward. Judd for a bit of extra pace and Wanganeen as either a small forward or back.

I reckon it would take some beating...

B: Archer - Scarlett - C. Scott
H.B: McLeod - Jakovich - Hodge
C: Matera - Voss - Buckley
H.F: Ablett Snr. - Carey - Franklin
F: D. Jarman - Locket - Akermanis
Ruck: D. Cox - Ablett Jnr. - Hird
I.C: Goodes - Ricciuto - Judd - Wanganeen

Gosh. That's actually pretty hard to do, particularly if you're going for balance as well. I suppose people could question Akermanis but aside from being a twat, he was an incredible footballer and twice the player Brent Harvey is. And D. Jarman has to be in the side. Behind Ablett Snr he is the single most naturally talented footballer I've ever seen play the game.

Goodes as back up ruck/key forward. Ricciuto - obviously could be on the field for any of Voss, Hird, or Buckley, but he can come off the bench as a mid/forward. Judd for a bit of extra pace and Wanganeen as either a small forward or back.

I reckon it would take some beating...
Maybe put Wanganeen back in for Scott but I think you nailed it.

First thing I thought when seeing the 22 was "uh oh Herald Sun you're gonna have a claim against you... no Adam Goodes in starting 18" you're racists!!!! ;)
(Goodes being the selfish biggot he is would fail to see 4 other indigenous players in the 18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back