HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched half of practice match Ararat Vs Hamilton. Think the score was 8 goals to about 3 (Hamilton way)when i left. Hamilton had some big bodied players and moved the ball pretty well.

Portland played East Gambier last Friday night and from all reports played well. They travel to Horsham this weekend to play Horsham.

A lot of speculation on ladder positions from the media this week. A lot of it is blatant guessing, a lot of it is to help fuel the Hampden fire. Some of that's good but there is a lot of guessing happening.
It's near impossible to pick at the moment who will finish 2nd to 7th. It could be the closest it has ever been between those spots. The draw is the fairest it's ever going to be apart from the ridiculous finals set up where top sides are rewarded with home finals and the fact the GF is played at the Reid Oval whether Warrnambool is in it or not. I'm extremely against that even though I have said im a Warrnambool supporter many times. I often wonder how many of the recent flags would of been won at another venue. Back to the point, teams are looking generally weaker in the top sides from last season and generally stronger in the lower sides of last season. So with that in mind and with teams needing more than just a couple of players to improve their chances here is my guess at who will be where at the end of 2014:
1: Warrnambool - Lost some quality but have added some quality also, Kurt Lenehan returning from VFL will be huge for the Blues! Also hearing Josh Walters is a certain starter again. Can't see them dropping away.

Here's where it gets tough...

2: North Warrnambool Eagles - Lost a lot of fire power, Gregg, Haynes, Myles. Will be unpredictable up forward with many quality small forwards. Have picked up some good players but nothing outstanding. Should be solid.

3: Koroit - Everyone is writing off the Saints, they have lost a huge amount of players but mainly of the reserves variety. The depth will be tested if injury occurs but has everyone forgot who is coaching this side? If there is any talent amongst the junior ranks Adam Dowie will find it. No Ben Dobson but I wouldn't write off an appearance from Ben Goodall at some stage. Will be there abouts.

4: Terang/Mortlake - The big improvers of the competition this season. Have increased fire power with the additions of Bant and Moloney alongside Staunton. The improvement may hinge on the availability of the returning Nick Couch from injury and star backman Chris Baxter with VFL duties. Always a good side but this season have a little extra on the list to boost them up the ladder.

5: Portland - On paper have an awesome midfield adding Crane, Dignan and Myles alongside Clark, England and Egan. Just missed out last season on finals after some hefty losses playing away hurt them. This season have lost fire power also losing Hayse and Stiles. Should improve enough to make the 5.

6: Camperdown - Have lost ruckman Moloney, fwd Molan, Mid Beckett and a few others. Will be tough for Camperdown this season and will take the likes of Chapman (if he is indeed playing), Mahony and Dan Casey to lead the way. Have talent but do they have enough talent to keep up with the comp.

7: Cobden - Have been cut to pieces by player movements. None bigger than the Dare brothers. Injury concerns with Foster, and depth will be tested. Always have great young talent and will stretch that to the end this season. Tough season ahead but will take a scalp or two.

8: Hamilton - Added some strength to the list from the VAFA by the looks of it and now has Holt in charge. Have lost Gareth Crawford but gained Brad Thomas. Could be on the improve but I don't think they yet have the cattle to shake the top 5 too hard.

9: South Warrnambool - Young, exciting, big future ahead if stay together. Added Gregg for firepower (have heard injured for start of season). The Thompson boys are beauties, Struth is a gun but where do we go after that. Can't see a major ladder improvement but could be much more competitive.

10: Port Fairy - I could be very right or very wrong with this one. If Barham and Hollmer can play more than just a handful of games then up they go a little. Shields from VAFA is a likely type. Not enough to warrant a big praise or to threaten any side of importance. Could sneak one on a side not prepared but generally easy beats.

So there it is! One mans opinion based on not much more than who is in and out and how sides faired last season. Id love to be wrong and have it all turned on it's head but one thing is for sure the battle for 2nd to 10th will be very interesting. Warrnambool though still the team to beat.

A lot of speculation on ladder positions frin years to come m the media this week. A lot of it is blatant guessing, a lot of it is to help fuel the Hampden fire. Some of that's good but there is a lot of guessing happening.
It's near impossible to pick at the moment who will finish 2nd to 7th. It could be the closest it has ever been between those spots. The draw is the fairest it's ever going to be apart from the ridiculous finals set up where top sides are rewarded with home finals and the fact the GF is played at the Reid Oval whether Warrnambool is in it or not. I'm extremely against that even though I have said im a Warrnambool supporter many times. I often wonder how many of the recent flags would of been won at another venue. Back to the point, teams are looking generally weaker in the top sides from last season and generally stronger in the lower sides of last season. So with that in mind and with teams needing more than just a couple of players to improve their chances here is my guess at who will be where at the end of 2014:
1: Warrnambool - Lost some quality but have added some quality also, Kurt Lenehan returning from VFL will be huge for the Blues! Also hearing Josh Walters is a certain starter again. Can't see them dropping away.

Here's where it gets tough...

2: North Warrnambool Eagles - Lost a lot of fire power, Gregg, Haynes, Myles. Will be unpredictable up forward with many quality small forwards. Have picked up some good players but nothing outstanding. Should be solid.

3: Koroit - Everyone is writing off the Saints, they have lost a huge amount of players but mainly of the reserves variety. The depth will be tested if injury occurs but has everyone forgot who is coaching this side? If there is any talent amongst the junior ranks Adam Dowie will find it. No Ben Dobson but I wouldn't write off an appearance from Ben Goodall at some stage. Will be there abouts.

4: Terang/Mortlake - The big improvers of the competition this season. Have increased fire power with the additions of Bant and Moloney alongside Staunton. The improvement may hinge on the availability of the returning Nick Couch from injury and star backman Chris Baxter with VFL duties. Always a good side but this season have a little extra on the list to boost them up the ladder.

5: Portland - On paper have an awesome midfield adding Crane, Dignan and Myles alongside Clark, England and Egan. Just missed out last season on finals after some hefty losses playing away hurt them. This season have lost fire power also losing Hayse and Stiles. Should improve enough to make the 5.

6: Camperdown - Have lost ruckman Moloney, fwd Molan, Mid Beckett and a few others. Will be tough for Camperdown this season and will take the likes of Chapman (if he is indeed playing), Mahony and Dan Casey to lead the way. Have talent but do they have enough talent to keep up with the comp.

7: Cobden - Have been cut to pieces by player movements. None bigger than the Dare brothers. Injury concerns with Foster, and depth will be tested. Always have great young talent and will stretch that to the end this season. Tough season ahead but will take a scalp or two.

8: Hamilton - Added some strength to the list from the VAFA by the looks of it and now has Holt in charge. Have lost Gareth Crawford but gained Brad Thomas. Could be on the improve but I don't think they yet have the cattle to shake the top 5 too hard.

9: South Warrnambool - Young, exciting, big future ahead if stay together. Added Gregg for firepower (have heard injured for start of season). The Thompson boys are beauties, Struth is a gun but where do we go after that. Can't see a major ladder improvement but could be much more competitive.

10: Port Fairy - I could be very right or very wrong with this one. If Barham and Hollmer can play more than just a handful of games then up they go a little. Shields from VAFA is a likely type. Not enough to warrant a big praise or to threaten any side of importance. Could sneak one on a side not prepared but generally easy beats.

So there it is! One mans opinion based on not much more than who is in and out and how sides faired last season. Id love to be wrong and have it all turned on it's head but one thing is for sure the battle for 2nd to 10th will be very interesting. Warrnambool though still the team to beat.
Crazy Warrnambool getting to play GFs on their home ground. Need to look at that one. Imagine In years to come when Portland are even stronger if they got to play GFs on home ground.

Crazy Warrnambool getting to play GFs on their home ground. Need to look at that one. Imagine In years to come when Portland are even stronger if they got to play GFs on home ground.

Yeah you're spot on Sam42, and in my write up I meant to say "ridiculous finals set up where the top sides aren't (not are) given home finals. If you are the top sides playing the first 2 finals games it should be to your advantage for reward of ladder position.

Have a look at how many premierships Warrnambool have won and where they were played - by all means take the GF up to Mortlake (assuming Terang aren't in it) - the players could get changed in the bus. Big call to take the G/F game out of the major city / population - things have changed since the old days. Home ground advantage is over rated. If you are good enough you are good enough.

Have a look at how many premierships Warrnambool have won and where they were played - by all means take the GF up to Mortlake (assuming Terang aren't in it) - the players could get changed in the bus. Big call to take the G/F game out of the major city / population - things have changed since the old days. Home ground advantage is over rated. If you are good enough you are good enough.

I can't agree with that. Warrnambool playing at their home ground, the ground they train on every week, one of the biggest grounds in the comp gives them a massive advantage on a Grand Final day, the opposite of that is North Warrnambool, train on one of the smallest every week, play that ground well but then was smashed in the Preliminary on the Reid v Warrnambool. There are other factors, player list, game plan etc but if that Prelim was played at Bushfield or at Koroit where they had been playing last two games it would of been a much closer result. Grounds definitely matter. You don't have to take the game too far out of Warrnambool, Koroit could easily host a GF also The Friendlys isn't ideal but can host a GF. Have it at the Reid if Warrnambool isn't in it. They are chasing a fairer draw, it won't be fair until this is fixed. I love a Warrnambool flag as much as the next Blues fan but let's do it on a neutral surface and have no questions over the validity of the win!

I can't agree with that. Warrnambool playing at their home ground, the ground they train on every week, one of the biggest grounds in the comp gives them a massive advantage on a Grand Final day, the opposite of that is North Warrnambool, train on one of the smallest every week, play that ground well but then was smashed in the Preliminary on the Reid v Warrnambool. There are other factors, player list, game plan etc but if that Prelim was played at Bushfield or at Koroit where they had been playing last two games it would of been a much closer result. Grounds definitely matter. You don't have to take the game too far out of Warrnambool, Koroit could easily host a GF also The Friendlys isn't ideal but can host a GF. Have it at the Reid if Warrnambool isn't in it. They are chasing a fairer draw, it won't be fair until this is fixed. I love a Warrnambool flag as much as the next Blues fan but let's do it on a neutral surface and have no questions over the validity of the win!

It would be interesting to have the players from all teams take a survey - i believe the majority would prefer to play at the best ground available regardless of who's home ground it is.That is just my opinion.

It would be interesting to have the players from all teams take a survey - i believe the majority would prefer to play at the best ground available regardless of who's home ground it is.That is just my opinion.

Yeah could be a valid argument for sure. I think there would be a close finish to the vote.

Coming from the Western Border League depending on who was in the Grand Final, they played it at either South, East or North Gambier or if a Victorian Team made it, Casterton. The ground holding the GF never had the Senior team playing that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming from the Western Border League depending on who was in the Grand Final, they played it at either South, East or North Gambier or if a Victorian Team made it, Casterton. The ground holding the GF never had the Senior team playing that day.

Well the Western Border don't have to worry about Victorian Clubs anymore :) In fact they might be holding the GF out at Glencoe soon.

Where do the Goulburn Valley League hold their GF - or are they a second tier comp like the W.B ?

Well the Western Border don't have to worry about Victorian Clubs anymore :) In fact they might be holding the GF out at Glencoe soon.

Where do the Goulburn Valley League hold their GF - or are they a second tier comp like the W.B ?
Understand where you are coming from blythe however In years to come when Portland are up the top if they played the GF at Portland i could hear the other teams protesting about fairness. Would be a big advantage Portland playing GF at home.

Well here we go with another big season of footy! Who's sick of seeing write ups about the other league in Warrnambool? I am! Time for the powerhouse in local football to showcase the new talent, new faces and that is the fastest most skilled league in the area the HFNL! We have Magarey Medallists and SANFL players, VFL players, TAC Cup players, former AFL players and the best kids in the area! Not a bad start. Look forward to the improvers, the standouts and the surprises to come in 2014. Can the Blues make it a 3peat, can the Eagles make it to their first GF, can Portland or Hamilton reach their debut finals series? All unanswered and all intriguing.

The Preview:

North Warrnambool Eagles v Camperdown Magpies @ Bushfield

The Eagles are at home to the Pies and it's rivalry round for these two sides straight up! Bernard Moloney the former Pies coach is now the new Eagles coach and will be looking to kick it off with a win. Dan Casey will have do his utmost to upset these plans as he leads his side into 2014. Looking at the new faces and faces departed both sides have a different look line up. Eagles have added Hamish Withers, Jye Bidmade, Ben Mugavin and Luke Williams to an otherwise solid looking list. Jarryd Lewis and Herb Barlow both unavailable and Tom Batten out with an injury. Obviously no David Haynes, Robbie Gregg and Jake Myles who are big outs and kicked a lot of goals last season. I have no doubt this game plan will have changed dramatically from last season. I do remember criticizing it last season for it's lack of creativity but this season I'm hoping they will be very unpredictable in their attack. Camperdown have new faces in the Cardinal brothers and Jack Hickey the main ones! No mention of Sam Chapman which is huge and lost some quality in Beckett and Molan. They are always there abouts and will beat sides on their good days. This is a game that could go either way in Round 1, the side that settles the quickest will reap the benefits. Both have upsides and it will be a close contest. The Eagles back line still looks very strong and will need to contain Dan Casey who is very capable of kicking bags of goals. Luke Mahony on the ball for the Pies is very important as is Eagles on baller Andy McMeel. I like the Eagles look on paper and i think even without the big gun forwards they can rise to the new game plan and win this one.

North Warrnambool by 14 points.

Cobden Bombers v Hamilton Kangaroos @ Cobden

The Bombers have been smashed from pillar to post by players leaving the club, Levi Dare and Joe Dare being the obvious ones. Both Maskell Medallists and both ultra important to Cobdens recent successes. There has been a number of others also. One thing Cobden has never been short of tho is pace and talented juniors. They have called on that introducing two U/16 players this weekend to senior football, Pekin and Koroneos. Also they unveil new recruits Chris Paatsch from Otway Districts and Bart Phillips from East Point both forwards. Hamilton have had some come and go also but with new playing coach Jarrod Holt, and returning to Hampden League on baller Brad Thomas the ball winning ability has risen. Numerous other new players who we will touch on in coming weeks as I really have no idea who some of them are. (That's honesty right there). Cobden are always hard to beat at home and I would expect similar again this season even with a lighter list. Pace will be the key and they have it in droves. Brody Mahony will be a vital cog in creating opportunity from the middle with Paul Foster out with a knee injury. Hamilton will be a defensive type side with a focus on holding onto possession I would expect and that could work well if executed correctly. I still think the Bombers can win this one.

Cobden by 12 points.

Warrnambool Blues v South Warrnambool Roosters @ Reid Oval.

Yet again many many changes in this game. Warrnambool regain services of VFL player Kurt Lenehan in the midfield, they also have picked up the talent Paulin brothers from WDFNL U/17's, one of which is named emergency. Missing though is Damien McCorkell (away), Tim Hunt (WA), Will Jacobs (Qld), Josh Walters (Ret...allegedly), Liam Hoy (inj) and Liam Hoy (VFL). The list is strong though and Threlfell, McLeod and Opperman all come up. South Warrnambool have a new coach in Matty Monk and he has brought together some old fashioned South Warrnambool style pride and picked up some good players to make this team better than the wooden spooners they were last season. Young and ready to learn and keen to improve is the only way to put this side, Robbie Gregg returns home to the Roosters and even though there has been major concerns with his hips he is named to play Round1, Ratu a Western Bulldogs project player is to make his debut, Isaac O'Rourke and Dom Moloney will debut from U/18's. I'd expect the premiers to have a comfortable win in this one and start with a bang but all we want is an improved performance from a young South Warrnambool, lead the way Nick Thompson, Sam Thompson and Zacc Struth all guns and no doubt raring to go.

Warrnambool by 60 points

Portland Tigers v Terang/Mortlake Bloods @ Hanlon Park

One of the more interesting clashes of the weekend. Portland have been the hype side of 2014 closely followed by TM Bloods! Both sides have added talent. Portland have Jake Myles as playing coach, Palmerston gun Jake Dignan and Magarey Medallist Luke Crane have also joined the Tigers. I did hear tonight Jayden Stiles has returned to the club also which is good news for the Tigers forward line. Portlands mids could be the best in the comp on any given day and if they can kick goals the Tigers could be very dangerous home and away. Last season away games cost them dearly missing the 5 by not much. Terang Mortlake have added Chris Bant and Sam Moloney to help Steve Staunton up forward also regained gun on baller Nick Couch. Chris Baxter is named to play instead of VFL duties which is good news for the Bloods. This will be a super match and can't wait to see the result. The Bloods firepower is now a strength and with an already solid list I wouldn't think they can topple Portland at Terang but this one is at the Portland fortress Hanlon Park and with the big named signings confidence is sky high!

Portland by 6 points in a thriller!

Koroit Saints v Port Fairy Seagulls @ Vic Park

Yet again new faces and big losses for both sides! Koroit have lost the services of Ben Dobson (Geelong) and 2013 Maskell Medallist Ben Goodall (ret) as the big ones, but also a raft of reserves players and senior depth players. However good sides don't fall over that easily, Adam Dowie has managed to snare the services of ruckman Nathan Meade again, a very popular Koroit player that has returned and is a great player. Scotty Bristol from Russell's Creek is a big sized body and likely type, Ben Turner-Dwyer makes a return after a year off as a small utility and a surprise to me former Eagle and Blood Matthew Buck (Koroit Assistant Coach) has been named to play also. Buck is a handy player when fit and if he can play close to what he offered at the Eagles could be an excellent acquisition to the Saints especially by use of the footy. Joe McLaren is reportedly as fit as ever for his continued crack at senior level football and at I think about 35 he is ready to go again! Port Fairy has added some strength and quality with the big signings of Jaxson Barham from Geelong (and Collingwood), and Jackson Hollmer from Lara. Who knows how many games they are available for but if they can get half a season from them then let's hope we see improvement. Aaron Sheilds from VAFA is a highly touted type also. The big loss is Sandy Robinson to Port Melbourne, the gun ruckman was great for the Seagulls last season. It's time for Port Fairy to take it up to a few sides and stop being the easy beats they have been for years now. Koroit will not be easy for them but while Koroit are kissing some wounds better now is the time to pounce, a great start is needed for the Seagulls confidence! Unfortunately I think Sam Dobson and his Saints mates will be big winners and take the 4 points.

Koroit by 50 points.

Great game between Portland and Terang Mortlake. Both sides dominated at times. Good signs for both clubs.

Results from all the weekends action -
Koroit
4.4, 6.7, 11.11, 17.12 (114)

Port Fairy
2.1, 2.5, 2.5, 6.6 (42)

Koroit did exactly what I thought they would, showed no signs of slowing down this season even without Dobson, Goodall and co. A comfortable 72 point demolition of Port Fairy. James Gow was named Koroits best, good signs early that the kids are standing up to be counted. Sam Dobson and Isaac Templeton kicked 3 goals, Hausler, Whitehead, Gow and Buck all kicked 2 each. For Port Fairy The Big Show Gary Robinson kicked 4 goals and NT recruit Llyod Stockman was named their best player. Still a whole lot of improving for Port Fairy to go!

Tip - Koroit by 50 points
Result - Koroit by 72 points

Hamilton Kangaroos 3.4, 6.6, 7.10, 8.15 (63)

Cobden showed some poise from halftime on and put the Hamilton Kangaroos away in style pouring on 10.5 goals to 2.9 to take the win by 64 points. I honestly thought that the Kangaroos may have had a bit more quality about them this season but it's a tough competition and it will take time to build a very competitive side. Yes it's only round 1 and plenty of time to adjust and get it right so let's hope that Hamilton can show a better fight next week. Paul Hinkley played forward for the Bombers and kicked 5, also Sam Harkin managed 5 goals in a best on ground display. The Bombers will be buoyed by this performance and could make it a solid start to the season when they take on South Warrnambool next week! Hamilton named Tom Feely as their best player.

Tip - Cobden by 12 points
Result - Cobden by 64 points

Terang Mortlake
4.1, 7.2, 10.3, 14.11 (95)

Portland kicked off their season with a win in a hard fought nail biter at Hanlon Park against the Bloods. Even with inaccurate kicking 13.20 the Tigers managed to account by a clearly improved Terang/Mortlake unit. Beau Bentley answered part of the who will kick goals question slotting 4 majors and receiving best on ground accolades. Jake Dignan and Luke Crane both impressed lookers on, Marcus England showed some of the form he has been long touted to have. For the Bloods it was the usual suspects leading the way, the big names in Staunton, Couch, Pomerin, Densley, Bant and newcomer Moloney all very important on the score board and around the ground. They are going to be big improvers for sure.

Tip - Portland by 6 points in a thriller
Result - Portland by 3 points in a thriller

_________
North Warrnambool Eagles 4.1, 10.5, 13.8, 17.11 (113)

Camperdown
4.3, 6.6, 13.9, 13.12 (90)

The Eagles showed composure and new avenues to goal to record their first win against Bernie Moloney's former side Camperdown. The Pies pulled the lead back from half time to lead by 1 point going into the last before North Warrnambool kick 4.3 to 0.3 to take the chocolates. No Haynes, no Gregg, no worries....well at least not yet....the Eagles young gun Sam McLachlan and mercurial forward Jeremy Parkinson each kicked 4, midfield motor Dean Gavin had 36 touches and kicked 3 goals in a best on ground performance. Young forward Josh Corbett also kicked 3. The Magpies appeared to have a good crack at the Eagles but ran out of legs in the last. Dan Casey kicked 4, and Lewis Iverson 2, but they were lone hands in multiple goal kickers needed to win games of footy. Marcus Powling rucked well and was Camperdowns best player. Interesting to see where these two sides sit come the halfway mark. Both have players to return.

Tip - North by 14 points
Result - North by 23 points

South Warrnambool
0.1, 1.5, 1.5, 4.6 (30)

Wow. That is the only word to describe the way Warrnambool began this game on Sunday. They absolutely blitzed the Roosters with a 7.4 to 0.1 qtr. Jason Rowan was scarily sensational, he finished with a 10 goal haul and kicked off season 2014 in amazing style. This bloke is captain and leads in the style needed by a powerhouse club. 100 goals here he comes. It wasn't only Rowan that shined though, Jackson Bell was impressive, Tim O'Keefe was excellent down back, Sam Wilson was solid all day and yet again the veteran Andrew McCarthy did what he does best and if you don't know what that is yet then that is why he keeps getting in the best against your side. Souths only shining light was Sam Kelly and youngster Oliver Lee who both had very good games. South as a whole were dismal and a long way off playing finals football again any time soon. Littered with skill errors and made basic football look like it was the toughest thing they have ever tried to achieve. Long season ahead and could well find themselves with another wooden spoon. Warrnambool on the other hand could be up to 3-4 goals better than anyone this season. Big call, biased call but after this one could be a fair call.

Tip - Warrnambool by 60 points
Result - Warrnambool 85 points

So it was 5 from 5 tips for me this week, I ll take that while I can. Looking forward to next week already!

Cheers
HampdenMad

Results from all the weekends action -
Koroit
4.4, 6.7, 11.11, 17.12 (114)

Port Fairy
2.1, 2.5, 2.5, 6.6 (42)

Koroit did exactly what I thought they would, showed no signs of slowing down this season even without Dobson, Goodall and co. A comfortable 72 point demolition of Port Fairy. James Gow was named Koroits best, good signs early that the kids are standing up to be counted. Sam Dobson and Isaac Templeton kicked 3 goals, Hausler, Whitehead, Gow and Buck all kicked 2 each. For Port Fairy The Big Show Gary Robinson kicked 4 goals and NT recruit Llyod Stockman was named their best player. Still a whole lot of improving for Port Fairy to go!

Tip - Koroit by 50 points
Result - Koroit by 72 points

Hamilton Kangaroos 3.4, 6.6, 7.10, 8.15 (63)

Cobden showed some poise from halftime on and put the Hamilton Kangaroos away in style pouring on 10.5 goals to 2.9 to take the win by 64 points. I honestly thought that the Kangaroos may have had a bit more quality about them this season but it's a tough competition and it will take time to build a very competitive side. Yes it's only round 1 and plenty of time to adjust and get it right so let's hope that Hamilton can show a better fight next week. Paul Hinkley played forward for the Bombers and kicked 5, also Sam Harkin managed 5 goals in a best on ground display. The Bombers will be buoyed by this performance and could make it a solid start to the season when they take on South Warrnambool next week! Hamilton named Tom Feely as their best player.

Tip - Cobden by 12 points
Result - Cobden by 64 points

Terang Mortlake
4.1, 7.2, 10.3, 14.11 (95)

Portland kicked off their season with a win in a hard fought nail biter at Hanlon Park against the Bloods. Even with inaccurate kicking 13.20 the Tigers managed to account by a clearly improved Terang/Mortlake unit. Beau Bentley answered part of the who will kick goals question slotting 4 majors and receiving best on ground accolades. Jake Dignan and Luke Crane both impressed lookers on, Marcus England showed some of the form he has been long touted to have. For the Bloods it was the usual suspects leading the way, the big names in Staunton, Couch, Pomerin, Densley, Bant and newcomer Moloney all very important on the score board and around the ground. They are going to be big improvers for sure.

Tip - Portland by 6 points in a thriller
Result - Portland by 3 points in a thriller

_________
North Warrnambool Eagles 4.1, 10.5, 13.8, 17.11 (113)

Camperdown
4.3, 6.6, 13.9, 13.12 (90)

The Eagles showed composure and new avenues to goal to record their first win against Bernie Moloney's former side Camperdown. The Pies pulled the lead back from half time to lead by 1 point going into the last before North Warrnambool kick 4.3 to 0.3 to take the chocolates. No Haynes, no Gregg, no worries....well at least not yet....the Eagles young gun Sam McLachlan and mercurial forward Jeremy Parkinson each kicked 4, midfield motor Dean Gavin had 36 touches and kicked 3 goals in a best on ground performance. Young forward Josh Corbett also kicked 3. The Magpies appeared to have a good crack at the Eagles but ran out of legs in the last. Dan Casey kicked 4, and Lewis Iverson 2, but they were lone hands in multiple goal kickers needed to win games of footy. Marcus Powling rucked well and was Camperdowns best player. Interesting to see where these two sides sit come the halfway mark. Both have players to return.

Tip - North by 14 points
Result - North by 23 points

South Warrnambool
0.1, 1.5, 1.5, 4.6 (30)

Wow. That is the only word to describe the way Warrnambool began this game on Sunday. They absolutely blitzed the Roosters with a 7.4 to 0.1 qtr. Jason Rowan was scarily sensational, he finished with a 10 goal haul and kicked off season 2014 in amazing style. This bloke is captain and leads in the style needed by a powerhouse club. 100 goals here he comes. It wasn't only Rowan that shined though, Jackson Bell was impressive, Tim O'Keefe was excellent down back, Sam Wilson was solid all day and yet again the veteran Andrew McCarthy did what he does best and if you don't know what that is yet then that is why he keeps getting in the best against your side. Souths only shining light was Sam Kelly and youngster Oliver Lee who both had very good games. South as a whole were dismal and a long way off playing finals football again any time soon. Littered with skill errors and made basic football look like it was the toughest thing they have ever tried to achieve. Long season ahead and could well find themselves with another wooden spoon. Warrnambool on the other hand could be up to 3-4 goals better than anyone this season. Big call, biased call but after this one could be a fair call.

Tip - Warrnambool by 60 points
Result - Warrnambool 85 points

So it was 5 from 5 tips for me this week, I ll take that while I can. Looking forward to next week already!

Cheers
HampdenMad

Good first up effort Hampden Mad - margins thereabouts as well. A couple of disappointing teams who I thought would improve dramatically especially the Seagulls. Early days I know. The Blues didn't seem to recruit any high profile players (except Rhys Raymond ??) but still seem to do O.K albeit against a very ordinary Rooster outfit.

Good first up effort Hampden Mad - margins thereabouts as well. A couple of disappointing teams who I thought would improve dramatically especially the Seagulls. Early days I know. The Blues didn't seem to recruit any high profile players (except Rhys Raymond ??) but still seem to do O.K albeit against a very ordinary Rooster outfit.

Thanks Blythe. Dramatic improvement requires dramatic list change and for mine the Seagulls were no where near that. Rhys Raymond left the Blues and went to WDFNL club Merrivale. The Blues also recruited Kurt Lenehan who will be a beauty. Some good kids too, John Paulin was impressive in debut. Warrnambool have depth so they will be solid. The back line could be an issue if injury hits though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back