HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I also think that the team finishing 2nd at the end of the season should be granted a home final no matter who it is. The top sides reward is a week off and 3rd has a second chance if they lose to 2nd in the first final.

Totally agree HampdenMAD, by no means did I mean to play 2 Warrnambool teams at either ground, but there's no reason if Port Fairy, Hamilton or Portland were playing finals that Melville oval or Hanlon park shouldn't be used.
Trust me if Hamilton or Portland made the finals they would get very good crowds going by past years in western border finals games.

Totally agree HampdenMAD, by no means did I mean to play 2 Warrnambool teams at either ground, but there's no reason if Port Fairy, Hamilton or Portland were playing finals that Melville oval or Hanlon park shouldn't be used.
Trust me if Hamilton or Portland made the finals they would get very good crowds going by past years in western border finals games.

I look forward to the possibility Go Tiges! The country teams always have the best followings so the crowds should be bumpers!

Apart from Reid Oval what other grounds would match Portland and Hamilton? Seen a couple of muddy HFNL grounds on tv lately.

Last edited:
Apart from Reid Oval what other grounds would match Portland and Hamilton?

Koroits oval I feel is the best surface in the comp, it holds up really well and recovers really quickly. Cobden also has a good surface but the turf wicket can bog up really badly, as can Portland and Hamilton. Camperdown and Port Fairy are also a pretty good grounds most of the year. In terms of best viewing ovals Portland, Warrnambool, Hamilton, South Warrnambool, Terang and Port Fairy are all pretty good. Bushfield, Reid Oval, South Wbool and Terang can be pretty ordinary surfaces at times.

I beg to differ a little on the the viewing at Reid oval, I went to the GF there last season and although it had all the facilities and the ground looked good, it felt like you were too far away from the play compared to other grounds. I was disappointed with the viewing at Port Fairy as well, no elevated area to stand and watch the game.
As far as I've seen apart from Reid oval, none of them compare to the 4 big grounds in Mount Gambier.

If you
I beg to differ a little on the the viewing at Reid oval, I went to the GF there last season and although it had all the facilities and the ground looked good, it felt like you were too far away from the play compared to other grounds. I was disappointed with the viewing at Port Fairy as well, no elevated area to stand and watch the game.
As far as I've seen apart from Reid oval, none of them compare to the 4 big grounds in Mount Gambier.

Port Fairy is elevated at the bar area enough to see clearly, and there's a huge stand to sit in if that doesn't appease you. I think you're being a bit rough on the Reid, it's a huge ground hence the reason you feel further from the action?? Great hills at either end to sit and watch, sitting around the car parking side on the embankment is a always good and the bar and rooms area is well elevated. It may not compare to Mount Gambiers ovals but Mount Gambiers don't compare to the MCG either....the point I'm making is that we can't play at the Mount so it's pointless using them as reference. Terang's is quite good viewing too actually. Anyway it would be great to have spectacular grounds and facilities at all but never going to happen. Plus who doesn't want to rough it a bit? Part of the country footy charm! Good on ya Go Tiges and keep the posting going strong!

Gotta love going to a country football game and being so close to the action you can hear the "smack" of a good hard physical contest... Love it!! Go Tiges this weekend and good luck and no injuries to any team.

Really looking forward to this weekends games in Hampden League. Could be a damp day around a few grounds. I'm off to the South v North game as it's the only game in Warrnambool.

There was some selection surprises with North losing their gun forward Mark Murphy but regaining gun backman come swingman Adam Wines. Still no Gavin, Keast or Murfett. South lost talented youngster Liam Howarth to Rebels, but regained gun youngster Kyden Jarvis. I think if it stays wet it will heavily benefit North Warrnambool with the bigger bodies and more experience. I can definitely see it being a close game if it's dry weather footy. Confidence in an underdog side made up of kids is a dangerous thing. South may be in the 5 but they will play as though they have nothing to lose and throw it all at North from the very first bounce. North need quick scoreboard pressure and put South on the back foot from the get go. Will have a wrap up on Sunday. Eagles by 35 points.

I'm sticking with Koroit to win over Portland by 10 points.

Warrnambool to smash Hamilton by 80 points.

I'm actually going to take Port Fairy for an upset win over the Bombers. Some handy inclusions for the Seagulls in Sam Anson and Sam McCartney. Also good to see Damon Delaney back for the Bombers. Port by 9 points.

Terang to just beat Camperdown but this one could go either way. Terang are shaky and Camperdown need to hit some form soon. Bloods by 2 points.

That's my take. Good luck to all and well done Josh Walters on 200 games with the Blues and a total of 309 Hampden games. A true champion of HFNL and a great bloke. Huge milestone!

Wow!!!! Wow!! Wow! The only words I have for the huge upset that seen the bottom placed side Hamilton defeat the unbeaten top side Warrnambool by 1 point!!! This is an amazing result considering the talent out of the Hamilton side!
Other winners were Port Fairy in a big win over Cobden!!
Camperdown defeated Terang Mortlake in an upset!
Koroit beat Portland to secure 2nd spot.
North Warrnambool defeated a spirited South Warrnambool.

Here's the Standard wrap up:
http://www.standard.net.au/story/23...os-hop-to-one-point-victory-over-blues/?cs=74

HFNL tightens even further. Hamilton beats Wbool. One game difference between 4th and bottom side on the ladder. What a season.

It was a muddy Saturday at The Friendly's yesterday, South Warrnambool hosted the North Warrnambool Eagles in what most people thought would be an intriguing battle. Well they were right! North jumped out of the blocks with an impressive goal to Michael Darmody. The Eagles then kicked 3.5 to finish the first quarter, it was the story of Norths day the errant kicking. The second qtr seen South play catch up footy and big Robbie Gregg got into the action and kicked truly to help the revival. South 4.1 to North 6.5 at Half Time. For South Harry Ponting was battling well against a monster opponent in Jordan Dillon, Jordan was terrific all day but had to earn it. Sam Thompson was prolific from the middle and youngster Paddy Anderson had his hands on it a bit. Norths Jye Bidmade was busy in and under, Jordan Dillon was winning a huge amount of taps, and Nick Maddison was busy down back. The second half seen South close the gap to head into the final qtr 8.2 50 to 9.10 64. South kicked the first goal of the final qtr to close it to 8 points before North Warrnambool kicked it into top gear and all of a sudden the ball use lifted, the run from behind lifted and the goals come. Jarryd Lewis kicked 2 important goals while the move of Tom Batten forward and Adam Wines back worked very well with Batten taking 3 or 4 good marks in the last qtr. The Eagles ran out winners

10.3 63
13.13 91

My best players for both sides:

South Wbool - Harry Ponting, Sam Thompson, Kim Eagleson, Paddy Anderson, Michael DeJong, Tim Ryan.

North Wbool - Jye Bidmade, Sam McLachlan, Matthew Brophy, Jordan Dillon, Jeremy Parkinson, Matthew Wines.

The ladder stands as follows:

Warrnambool 32
Koroit 28
North Wbool 24
Portland 16
Port Fairy 16
South Wbool 16
Terang/Mort 12
Camperdown 12
Cobden 12
Hamilton 12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a muddy Saturday at The Friendly's yesterday, South Warrnambool hosted the North Warrnambool Eagles in what most people thought would be an intriguing battle. Well they were right! North jumped out of the blocks with an impressive goal to Michael Darmody. The Eagles then kicked 3.5 to finish the first quarter, it was the story of Norths day the errant kicking. The second qtr seen South play catch up footy and big Robbie Gregg got into the action and kicked truly to help the revival. South 4.1 to North 6.5 at Half Time. For South Harry Ponting was battling well against a monster opponent in Jordan Dillon, Jordan was terrific all day but had to earn it. Sam Thompson was prolific from the middle and youngster Paddy Anderson had his hands on it a bit. Norths Jye Bidmade was busy in and under, Jordan Dillon was winning a huge amount of taps, and Nick Maddison was busy down back. The second half seen South close the gap to head into the final qtr 8.2 50 to 9.10 64. South kicked the first goal of the final qtr to close it to 8 points before North Warrnambool kicked it into top gear and all of a sudden the ball use lifted, the run from behind lifted and the goals come. Jarryd Lewis kicked 2 important goals while the move of Tom Batten forward and Adam Wines back worked very well with Batten taking 3 or 4 good marks in the last qtr. The Eagles ran out winners

10.3 63
13.13 91

My best players for both sides:

South Wbool - Harry Ponting, Sam Thompson, Kim Eagleson, Paddy Anderson, Michael DeJong, Tim Ryan.

North Wbool - Jye Bidmade, Sam McLachlan, Matthew Brophy, Jordan Dillon, Jeremy Parkinson, Matthew Wines.

The ladder stands as follows:

Warrnambool 32
Koroit 28
North Wbool 24
Portland 16
Port Fairy 16
South Wbool 16
Terang/Mort 12
Camperdown 12
Cobden 12
Hamilton 12

Cant recall seeing a ladder like this one. Incredible

I think the top 3 are pretty settled. But from 4 to 10 it's anybody's. Portland could finish 10th and Hamilton 4th yet.

Another Intriguing HFNL round. Who is going to take a step closer to playing finals. Can Port Fairy get the job done against Koroit. Can the Tigers get another win away. Can Camperdown and Hamilton get a win. Another chapter in a great HFNL season.

The halfway mark has been reached and now we enter the second phase of the HFNL fixture.

Based on results in the first half of the season the top 3 sides look to be set but not necessarily in order. The bottom 7 sides based on results could end up placed anywhere between 4th and Last! In saying that any of the bottom sides on their day are well and truly capable of beating the top 3 on their off days. The Eagles still have plenty to offer with a very unsettled side doing well in 3rd, Koroit lost plenty in off season but have maintained strong form and sit 2nd and Warrnambool have continued their Hampden domination sitting on top for another year. What will this phase of the draw bring? Let's hope it keeps us still guessing all the way to finals.

Round 10 games:

South Warrnambool v Warrnambool (Sunday)
South loose some talent to injury in Struth and Maddern, also Jarvis to Vic duties. Warrnambool go in unchanged looking at last week as a speed bump and a giving his players a point that needs proving which is don't play two bad ones in a row or you're all on notice. South will do well in this game around the stoppages but will lack the backman to stop Wbools scoring power.
Warrnambool by 45 points.

Hamilton v Cobden
Melville Fortress is going strong with big wins over 1 and 2 Blues and Saints. Holt returns as a very handy inclusion to take on the ailing Bombers. No Sam Harkin for the Bombers is going to hurt them. Playing some ordinary football by all accounts and hurting the Bomber pride along the way. Hamilton are a big favourite for this game but must strong two good games together and that's something they haven't done much of.
Hamilton by 15 points.

Camperdown v North Warrnambool.
The Pies are in some form heading into this one and so are the Eagles. Should be a good close game if recent results hold true to form. Pies lose Pemberton and Davis through injury. Eagles lose Darmody and pocket rocket Maddison, but replace with Mark Murphy back from injury and Luke Williams also back from injury. The Eagles have shown they are finding last seasons form again and scoring well. The Pies will have to limit midfield use of Eagles to win and I'm not sure they will.
North Warrnambool by 23 points.

Port Fairy v Koroit
The Seagulls come in unchanged from their thumping win over Cobden, Koroit regain Tim Carter and Tim Martin for the clash. This has a chance to be a great game and a definite chance to be a blowout. Port Fairy has struck some form and had two good recent wins. Koroit have been solid also and have some young men in good touch. Brennan, Hausler, Mooney and Templeton all playing great footy and leading the way. I'm tipping a close-ish game but with Koroit to be too strong forward.
Koroit by 19 points.

Terang/Mortlake v Portland
The bloods lose Densley and Craven but call up ruckman Jake Richardson, mid Sam McLean and fwd Jake Crawley for their crunch game against Portland. Portland dropped Quinlivan and in comes O'Loughlin. Both teams coming off losses and very keen to take these vitally important 4 points. T/M have been very inconsistent this season and can only be a good game away from possibly clicking into gear. Portland not too dissimilar. Portland have a cracking midfield who do a good job but scoring has been tough. TM has been in a lot of close games and are due to pinch one and that's where I stand on this one.
Terang/Mortlake by 2 points.

Good luck to all sides and can't wait to see the results this week! HM.

Well the Portland Tigers took their opportunity to edge closer to finals action and Port Fairy went all so close. Sets up big clash next weekend at Hanlon Park.

Could be some upsets this weekend with the weather we are going to have, all games should be a real scrap.

This weeks games:

North W'bool v Ter/Mort
Solid win last week by the Eagles heads them into this week full of confidence still missing plenty of talent. Mark Murphy with 8 goals last week is proving a headache for a lot of sides and has made a remarkable transition from District League to Hampden, in his 2nd season is showing what a great pick up he is. The Bloods come off what I thought could of been a win for them against Portland but they are really struggling at the moment and they will really need to lift to get close to the Eagles at Bushfield. Hamish Withers comes in for the Eagles, and T/M have added a lot of youth in Moloney, Crawley, Craven and Lee. If it's pouring rain and sloppy it may be a bit closer but still I think an Eagles win.
Nth Wbool by 21 points.

Koroit v Hamilton
Koroit just snuck home in a thriller against Port Fairy last week with Matthew Buck kicking a beauty from the boundary line to put the Saints up. They have recalled key backman Chris McLaren from injury which is timed well to cover the height of Hamiltons recalled key forward Hugh Douglas. Hamish Waldron returns as does Ubergang. Handy ins for the Hamilton side who won last time against the Saints at Melville Oval. Saints will want some redemption at home and that they will get.
Koroit by 48 points.

Cobden v South Wbool
Cobden gain some star power as veteran mid Paul Foster returns from a serious knee injury, also Daniel Semmens is back in. Coming off a solid win against Hamilton the Bombers have a good chance to resurrect a season and stay in touch with the 5 with a win again here. South have had some tough luck with confirmation they are losing Struth for the season. They regain Howarth from Rebels. It's do or die here for South if they have any chance of a final 5 finish they must win.
The Bombers are looking much better on paper and should take the points.
Cobden by 21 points

Portland v Port Fairy
What a huge game this is shaping up to be! Both teams improving at the mid part of the season and both teams well in contention for finals. Port Fairy can not afford to drop this one though where as Portland can't afford to lose to anyone below them if they want to chase the top 3. Both teams relatively unchanged. Portland at Hanlon Park are always tough and I expect no difference in the wet conditions tomorrow.
Portland by 4 points.

Warrnambool v Camperdown
It's an unchanged line up for the Blues and the Pies have made a couple of changes bringing in Pemberton and Gallichan. The Blues flexed that scoring muscle again last week against South, they are a well drilled side heading for another flag.Complacency can be a funny thing at this time of the year and maybe Camperdown can exploit that in the heavy conditions. I'm a realist though and I'm not sure the Pies can get within 8 goals of the Blues.
Warrnambool by 61 points at home.

Good luck to all sides this weekend!

Well I severely underestimated the conditions today! It was a shocking day at all grounds with huge winds and a lot of rain! Muddy heavy conditions and some varying results!

TMort defeated North Warrnambool in the final minutes.

Koroit got the job done over Hamilton.

Warrnambool kept Camperdown at bay taking the points.

Cobden easily beat South Wbool.

Portland were leading I last heard but no confirmation as yet on if they beat Port Fairy.

Well I severely underestimated the conditions today! It was a shocking day at all grounds with huge winds and a lot of rain! Muddy heavy conditions and some varying results!

TMort defeated North Warrnambool in the final minutes.

Koroit got the job done over Hamilton.

Warrnambool kept Camperdown at bay taking the points.

Cobden easily beat South Wbool.

Portland were leading I last heard but no confirmation as yet on if they beat Port Fairy.
Portland had good win over Port Fairy. Portland better team for most of the game. Port Fairy were disappointing I thought.

Love the posts HampdenMad always have a great look and insight to the games. A few questions: the way I see it the top three teams look a step above the rest at this stage Portland struggle to kick enough goals, Terang just don't have the cattle and Port Fairy a little inconsistent. Saying that if Port make it into the five by finals are Hollmer and Barham a chance to play? Could make it very interesting.

A big call but are Warrnambool to reliant on Rowan this year? Sure there flying at the top of the ladder but if he has an off day in the finals will they be able to muster up a score?

Are the saints as good as there ladder position suggests? They have a number of close wins and haven't been mighty impressive by all reports. What do they need to make a play at the premiership?

The eagles have a lot of injuries but my main concern is there bottom 5 players. Do you think the bottom players will be good enough in a tough final?

Anyway a fantastic season so far. I know you're a Warrnambool man but wouldn't it be great to see it go another way!

Love the posts HampdenMad always have a great look and insight to the games. A few questions: the way I see it the top three teams look a step above the rest at this stage Portland struggle to kick enough goals, Terang just don't have the cattle and Port Fairy a little inconsistent. Saying that if Port make it into the five by finals are Hollmer and Barham a chance to play? Could make it very interesting.

A big call but are Warrnambool to reliant on Rowan this year? Sure there flying at the top of the ladder but if he has an off day in the finals will they be able to muster up a score?

Are the saints as good as there ladder position suggests? They have a number of close wins and haven't been mighty impressive by all reports. What do they need to make a play at the premiership?

The eagles have a lot of injuries but my main concern is there bottom 5 players. Do you think the bottom players will be good enough in a tough final?

Anyway a fantastic season so far. I know you're a Warrnambool man but wouldn't it be great to see it go another way!
It seems that most people over Warrnambool way have the same opinion about Portlands ability to kick goals. But interestingly if you look at the ladder they are fifth highest in points for, just 2 goals behind koroit and only 4 behind north.
So that tells me that scoring isn't as much as a problem as you all seem to think. Come to think of it if they start kicking straight then they could cause some real problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back