HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Mahony approached by Macleod, but is reluctant to leave Camperdown unless serious money is offered.

Apparently travel is getting to the young captain who is struggling to find a balance between work, university and football.

Portland could be in some serious trouble now with keppel prince laying off 100 people today. I'm told at least 10 including Luke Crane work out there.

Last edited:

I didn't hear any other names apart from Woodford. I see Tyrendarra have announced Mirch (Joel) as another signing.
Looks Like Tim Chester having a big recruiting drive...Withers, Woodford, Joel all Portland or ex Portland players. Hope Crane got a few lined up.

Looks Like Tim Chester having a big recruiting drive...Withers, Woodford, Joel all Portland or ex Portland players. Hope Crane got a few lined up.
I reckon Craney has got his work cut out for him. He said he's chasing a key forward and key defender. Not sure where they are going to get work in Portland with the 100 Keppel workers getting their letters this week.
Anyway I can't be to negative Sam42 you never know what might happen between now and March/April.

I reckon Craney has got his work cut out for him. He said he's chasing a key forward and key defender. Not sure where they are going to get work in Portland with the 100 Keppel workers getting their letters this week.
Anyway I can't be to negative Sam42 you never know what might happen between now and March/April.
Lets hope connections in SA bear some fruit. Jobs is an issue for sure.

Haven't had much to say of late, all has been reasonably quiet on the Hampden front. Same old stories, Port Fairy splashing cash, Warrnambool recruiting a gun, Koroit all steady. Cobden has lost a lot of depth and struggled to find a coach ending up with two home growns as coaches in Foster and Robertson. South moving on with Kol again. Camperdown signed a beauty. TMort have a solid base and will improve. Portland looking light as so Hamilton. North Warrnambool were the final piece. Until now, it's being reported that Graeme Twaddle and Brendan Murfett may share duties as co coaches next season. Looks like the coaches paddock is growing more bare every season in Hampden League for clubs. Money? Pressure? Lack of facilities? Not enough strength or competition in league anymore? Has the shine worn off? All questions as to why some clubs are finding it hard to fill their spots with quality coaches and reverting to inside the club to patch the hole.
HampdenMAD out.

Haven't had much to say of late, all has been reasonably quiet on the Hampden front. Same old stories, Port Fairy splashing cash, Warrnambool recruiting a gun, Koroit all steady. Cobden has lost a lot of depth and struggled to find a coach ending up with two home growns as coaches in Foster and Robertson. South moving on with Kol again. Camperdown signed a beauty. TMort have a solid base and will improve. Portland looking light as so Hamilton. North Warrnambool were the final piece. Until now, it's being reported that Graeme Twaddle and Brendan Murfett may share duties as co coaches next season. Looks like the coaches paddock is growing more bare every season in Hampden League for clubs. Money? Pressure? Lack of facilities? Not enough strength or competition in league anymore? Has the shine worn off? All questions as to why some clubs are finding it hard to fill their spots with quality coaches and reverting to inside the club to patch the hole.
HampdenMAD out.
Local footy - local players - local coach. The way of the future. The numbers are no longer there so people need to realign their ideas or clubs will simply disappear over the next 10 years.

Local footy - local players - local coach. The way of the future. The numbers are no longer there so people need to realign their ideas or clubs will simply disappear over the next 10 years.

Local players have always been a focus of Warrnambool and surround area football, the thing that separates those sides are the quality coach and mix of external players to further improve their sides. Also some clubs need to disappear to help improve the quality of the clubs inside each league. Make the pool smaller and increase the quality of football.

Local players have always been a focus of Warrnambool and surround area football, the thing that separates those sides are the quality coach and mix of external players to further improve their sides. Also some clubs need to disappear to help improve the quality of the clubs inside each league. Make the pool smaller and increase the quality of football.
The problem with our comp, in regards to personnel, is the local minor league clubs are taking away our players by offering stupid large amounts of cash. We do have too many minor leagues clubs in the area to compete with, for players. Also we don't have a large population base and we are to far away from the metro area. Lots of young talent end up in the metro area for employment or university reasons. HampdenMad, I find your posts are really good and you really know what goes on. At least 90% of your rumours you give us end up being correct. Keep up the good work!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with our comp, in regards to personnel, is the local minor league clubs are taking away our players by offering stupid large amounts of cash. We do have too many minor leagues clubs in the area to compete with, for players. Also we don't have a large population base and we are to far away from the metro area. Lots of young talent end up in the metro area for employment or university reasons. HampdenMad, I find your posts are really good and you really know what goes on. At least 90% of your rumours you give us end up being correct. Keep up the good work!

Completely agree with that Beachboy3. And thanks for the compliment.

"mix of external players" - 5 players X $20,000 per season = $100,000 per year!!!! Over 5 years that is half a million.
I and many other volunteers find that offensive. Enough is enough!!

"mix of external players" - 5 players X $20,000 per season = $100,000 per year!!!! Over 5 years that is half a million.
I and many other volunteers find that offensive. Enough is enough!!

I don't know which club you are aligned with in HFNL Bowled Shane but I know the ones I have been around certainly don't pay anywhere near that money. Port Fairy may be the exception to that as they have poured money down the drain for years. Money will always be a factor as long as clubs can afford to do it and have the supporters and sponsors willing to put it in. Volunteers at most clubs now are beginning to see some form of payment for what they do, eg: Trainers, Admin, Waters Boys, Junior Coaches, Cleaners etc. you can't very well be paying players 2-10k a year and have old john expected to clean up after them for nothing. Times are changing in that area also.
If clubs are serious about stopping the rising cost of player payments then every club in the Warrnambool and District need to take a zero tolerance and say no more money. But that's fairy land stuff and will never happen.

Agree lads. Time to rationalize like many cricket associations have. Wind up some bush clubs - they are a remnant of a bygone era!!
Even though I believe there might be too many clubs, I use to come from a bush club myself before joining the Hampden league. Football clubs in small rural towns are the heartbeat of the town. It brings the town together each Saturday and they are very passionate. With the Warrnambool based clubs, lots of people treat footy as a side interest, as there many other things to do in this city. I don't believe there is enough passion and loyalty with these clubs. Saturday afternoon too many go out shopping and not go to the footy, while towns like Koroit and Panmure, most of the shops are shut, and those town people come to the footy, and really get behind there clubs. Just look at the crowd reaction at the games, you can see the difference in passion, between the city clubs in Warrnambool and the rural based clubs. There really is a community feeling at these rural based clubs. I still admitt money is killing local footy.

I don't know which club you are aligned with in HFNL Bowled Shane but I know the ones I have been around certainly don't pay anywhere near that money. Port Fairy may be the exception to that as they have poured money down the drain for years. Money will always be a factor as long as clubs can afford to do it and have the supporters and sponsors willing to put it in. Volunteers at most clubs now are beginning to see some form of payment for what they do, eg: Trainers, Admin, Waters Boys, Junior Coaches, Cleaners etc. you can't very well be paying players 2-10k a year and have old john expected to clean up after them for nothing. Times are changing in that area also.
If clubs are serious about stopping the rising cost of player payments then every club in the Warrnambool and District need to take a zero tolerance and say no more money. But that's fairy land stuff and will never happen.
That's why we need a salary cap and point system. Those 2 factors would also make the comps more even, and save the clubs spending to much, and go broke.

Any news to report Hampdenmad? Its been dead on here for a while now

Any news to report Hampdenmad? Its been dead on here for a while now
I don't know where HampdenMad is at the moment, but I do miss his footy news. I do admit this pre-season seems quieter this year in terms of player movements. There has been a few articles in the Standard. Warrnambool's senior team will be pretty much the same, plus Tim McIntyre who is a champ. Koroit have recruited alot of there former favourite sons. Terang has done the same, while North have recruited a gun forward, something they lacked last year. I noticed Warrnambool are losing alot of there reserve players to the district league, while North have picked up a few district players. My top 4 this year will be Warrnambool, Koroit, Terang and North Warrnambool. The next 6 will be nearly even. Hamilton and Portland are great sides when they play at home, but they really struggle when on the road. South's look like a youthful side again, but they look promising in the future, Port Fairy might be a bit better, but must learn to win away from home. Cobden has lost alot and might struggle, but you can't ever underestimate them. Camperdown will be much as same as last year, even though they picked up 2 great players. You really never know how the season goes until you played a few rounds. I look forward to see you all at the footy, and we will have another great season. Can't wait!

I don't know where HampdenMad is at the moment, but I do miss his footy news. I do admit this pre-season seems quieter this year in terms of player movements. There has been a few articles in the Standard. Warrnambool's senior team will be pretty much the same, plus Tim McIntyre who is a champ. Koroit have recruited alot of there former favourite sons. Terang has done the same, while North have recruited a gun forward, something they lacked last year. I noticed Warrnambool are losing alot of there reserve players to the district league, while North have picked up a few district players. My top 4 this year will be Warrnambool, Koroit, Terang and North Warrnambool. The next 6 will be nearly even. Hamilton and Portland are great sides when they play at home, but they really struggle when on the road. South's look like a youthful side again, but they look promising in the future, Port Fairy might be a bit better, but must learn to win away from home. Cobden has lost alot and might struggle, but you can't ever underestimate them. Camperdown will be much as same as last year, even though they picked up 2 great players. You really never know how the season goes until you played a few rounds. I look forward to see you all at the footy, and we will have another great season. Can't wait!
Yes beachboy I'm looking forward to the start of the season as well. My top 4 will be Warrnambool, koroit, North and terang. Throw a blanket over the other sides fighting for fifth position. Hamilton have lost a couple of key players, but there young players are getting better and better. Portland have only really lost Myles I believe, plus a couple of fringe players to South west clubs. They have picked up a couple of handy players who have been injured for all of last season. They have a lot of good young kids as well who are getting better and better. Should be another interesting season.

Heard today that Portland has lost another player...Marcus England has apparently signed with westerns in the south west league. So many players leaving to play in the minor league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back