HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard today that Portland has lost another player...Marcus England has apparently signed with westerns in the south west league. So many players leaving to play in the minor league.
Marcus has put in for a Clearance. Will be missed. Back end of career though. Charlie Woodford another loss for Senior side. If Mather and Bentley play will more than cover these loses. Will need someone to step up and cover the loss of Myles.

Marcus has put in for a Clearance. Will be missed. Back end of career though. Charlie Woodford another loss for Senior side. If Mather and Bentley play will more than cover these loses. Will need someone to step up and cover the loss of Myles.

Whats the verdict so far after a couple of seasons out of the WBFL. Was it a good move for Portland and Hamilton or should they have stayed where they were? Any thoughts?

Whats the verdict so far after a couple of seasons out of the WBFL. Was it a good move for Portland and Hamilton or should they have stayed where they were? Any thoughts?
I think they both had to go to the Hampden league eventually, just made sense. Having said that it seems both sides are weaker then they were in the western border league. They don't seem to be able to hold onto their players. Hamilton always had extremely strong junior sides in both hamilton and imperials, I would of thought a combined hamilton side would of blitzed all other junior teams including portland. Nobody seems to want to play for portland since they have joined the hampden league now. I can't work it out. It seems as soon as Holty left the players have dropped off one by one.

Personally I think it was a good move for Portland. First two seasons have been ok. Luke Crane I believe will do a good job with the team he has at his disposal. Hard to attract recruits with current employment situation. HFNL has to clear dominant sides in Warrnambool and Koroit. A lot of distance to be made up by all other sides.

2015 predictions..
Koroit
Warrnambool
Terang
North
Portland
Camperdown
Port fairy
South
Cobden
Hamilton

What's everyone's thoughts?

2015 predictions..
Koroit
Warrnambool
Terang
North
Portland
Camperdown
Port fairy
South
Cobden
Hamilton

What's everyone's thoughts?
My 2015 predictions...
Koroit
Warrnambool
Terang
North
Port fairy
Camperdown
Portland
South
Hamilton
Cobden

Sorry guys been overseas for 2 months! Well rested and ready to get back into some Hampden League action!!
I have been keeping an eye on movements and rumblings about the league and have a fair grasp over who will improve and who will fall. Predictions a few days out from the start of the season are always sure to have some doubt but I ll do my best!

2015 Predictions:
1. Koroit - 2014 Premiers! Best list in the competition! Solid in all areas of the ground and could have up to 5 Maskell Medals on the ground at anytime. O'Keefe 2, J.McLaren 1, Goodall 1, Templeton 1. Makes for an intimidating line up. They also now have the premier forward in the comp Sam Dobson. The kids a freak.

2. Warrnambool - After stumbling at the final hurdle last season the Blues have lost some major talent. Non more noticeable than Jason Rowan for the season with a knee injury. Their depth will be tested this season but probably their only real threat is Koroit. Should take care of any other side aside from a stumble or two.

3. Terang/Mortlake - The ever improving Bloods have hopefully injected some more talent into their side with some ex players returning, how many games these guys play is anyone's guess. T/M found their feet a little more last season as the season wore on and could take the leap into a 3rd place finish this season.

4. North Warrnambool - Seem to have lost a few of the favourite sons and out there they don't tend to return. Have picked up Parish who could be anything and will rely heavily on the great junior crop they have at their disposal. Big question time for the Eagles, when adversity strikes can they remain in contention. Big season ahead in terms of where the future lies for them.

5. Port Fairy - Improved their footy last season under Rudolph and now have elected to have a good local coach and hopefully for a long time. Building a base and still having the fly in element of strong players from VFL/AFL. Nicholson a huge get but injury set back may hurt early chances of wins. Will hinge a lot on those top line players and the sprinkling of permanent players that have a few years now under their belt! It's time to rise.

6. Portland - Lost some talent but will win enough games at home to push for top 5. Finding it tougher than first thought to maintain a list in the next level league. Some other influences affecting this such as employment opportunities etc. Good club deserves to be competitive.

7. Camperdown - Another club that has lost some very good talent! Will be a tough season but I expect some reasonably good performances at times. Good cultured club and excellent playing coach on board.

8. Cobden - The stories continues of these clubs that have lost some excellent players, players of the ilk of Horan and Hinkley don't come around everyday. But as one door closes another opens and Wayne Robertson along side Paul Foster are the lifeblood of Cobden and will instil a good culture and youth based approach to this season. Will still be tough to play.

9. Hamilton - Again lost too much to consider any higher than near the bottom of the ladder. Will be interesting to see the quality of play by the Kangaroos this season.

10. South Warrnambool - Light on, sprinkles of good players but will take time to really improve.

Maskell Medal - Tim McIntyre (Wbool) or Sam Dobson (Kor)

Smokeys: Dean Gavin (NWE) and Dan Nicholson (PF).

Premiers - Koroit
Runners Up - Warrnambool

Cheers: Hampden Mad.

Sorry guys been overseas for 2 months! Well rested and ready to get back into some Hampden League action!!
I have been keeping an eye on movements and rumblings about the league and have a fair grasp over who will improve and who will fall. Predictions a few days out from the start of the season are always sure to have some doubt but I ll do my best!

2015 Predictions:
1. Koroit - 2014 Premiers! Best list in the competition! Solid in all areas of the ground and could have up to 5 Maskell Medals on the ground at anytime. O'Keefe 2, J.McLaren 1, Goodall 1, Templeton 1. Makes for an intimidating line up. They also now have the premier forward in the comp Sam Dobson. The kids a freak.

2. Warrnambool - After stumbling at the final hurdle last season the Blues have lost some major talent. Non more noticeable than Jason Rowan for the season with a knee injury. Their depth will be tested this season but probably their only real threat is Koroit. Should take care of any other side aside from a stumble or two.

3. Terang/Mortlake - The ever improving Bloods have hopefully injected some more talent into their side with some ex players returning, how many games these guys play is anyone's guess. T/M found their feet a little more last season as the season wore on and could take the leap into a 3rd place finish this season.

4. North Warrnambool - Seem to have lost a few of the favourite sons and out there they don't tend to return. Have picked up Parish who could be anything and will rely heavily on the great junior crop they have at their disposal. Big question time for the Eagles, when adversity strikes can they remain in contention. Big season ahead in terms of where the future lies for them.

5. Port Fairy - Improved their footy last season under Rudolph and now have elected to have a good local coach and hopefully for a long time. Building a base and still having the fly in element of strong players from VFL/AFL. Nicholson a huge get but injury set back may hurt early chances of wins. Will hinge a lot on those top line players and the sprinkling of permanent players that have a few years now under their belt! It's time to rise.

6. Portland - Lost some talent but will win enough games at home to push for top 5. Finding it tougher than first thought to maintain a list in the next level league. Some other influences affecting this such as employment opportunities etc. Good club deserves to be competitive.

7. Camperdown - Another club that has lost some very good talent! Will be a tough season but I expect some reasonably good performances at times. Good cultured club and excellent playing coach on board.

8. Cobden - The stories continues of these clubs that have lost some excellent players, players of the ilk of Horan and Hinkley don't come around everyday. But as one door closes another opens and Wayne Robertson along side Paul Foster are the lifeblood of Cobden and will instil a good culture and youth based approach to this season. Will still be tough to play.

9. Hamilton - Again lost too much to consider any higher than near the bottom of the ladder. Will be interesting to see the quality of play by the Kangaroos this season.

10. South Warrnambool - Light on, sprinkles of good players but will take time to really improve.

Maskell Medal - Tim McIntyre (Wbool) or Sam Dobson (Kor)

Smokeys: Dean Gavin (NWE) and Dan Nicholson (PF).

Premiers - Koroit
Runners Up - Warrnambool

Cheers: Hampden Mad.
Welcome back HampdenMad. Hope you had a great holiday. Two teams definately stand out this year in Wbool and Koroit. Battle for the rest of the positions will be interesting. Portland will be young side and as with all young sides we will have to wait and see. Footys back. Enjoy.

This weekends tips!!

Terang Mortlake to get the job done over North Warrnambool - TM by 20 points

Koroit to have a win over Warrnambool - Kor by 9 points

Portland to make it 1-0 v Port Fairy - Portland by 25 points

Camperdown to roll South - C'Down by 15 points

Cobden to win their first v Hamilton - Cob by 9 points.

Footy's back!!!
Hampden Mad!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great game of footy at Hanlon Park between Portland and Port Fairy. Port Fairy deserved winners. Portland Young team did well. Wet tough conditions.
Was a good game of footy at Hanlon Park, could of gone either way. Port Fairy will trouble all sides this season, have some excellent players. Portland side looked more like an under 18.5 side, but gee they did very well. Great effort Tiges!!

First week down and some interesting results! North Warrnambool took the points over TM showing they are still here to fight it out for 3rd spot. Port Fairy got the points over Portland, very similar sides, dominated by young midfielder types. Warrnambool got the jump in a dry windy 1st qtr over Koroit who couldn't recover once the heavens opened in the 2nd qtr, Warrnambool run out comfortable winners, both teams have players to return.

Round 2 is upon us and there's some good games to watch!
Camperdown v Cobden - The close town rivals play today for bragging rights and I think Camperdown are best placed to take the points. Pies by 13

Hamilton v Portland - Should be a great game with both sides in a similar situation this season, loss of quality players and lots of young talent running around. The across town rivalry is strong in this Anzac Day clash! I'm going to tip Portland by 2 points! Should be a belter!!

Terang/Mortlake v Koroit - This should be fairly one sided and Koroit should have a comfortable win. T/M lose O'Connor due to his errant elbows that frequently pop up to "defend himself". I ll take the Saints by 36.

Sunday games:
Port Fairy v North Warrnambool - Has been some good games between these two here and there. This could be close or a blow out, it's hugely dependent on Port Fairy. I'm going to go with a reasonably close game and take North to win by 8 points.

Warrnambool v Sth Warrnambool - Lambs to the slaughter....Warrnambool by 50 plus.

Good luck to all those playing this weekend!!

Portland v Hamilton should be a good game. Matchups will be important as will ball movement. Portland played well last week even though they were beaten. Just got to support and encourage the youngsters.

Just heard that North Warrnambool midfielder and rising star winner Andy McMeel has quit the Eagles. Sources say he has lost interest in the game and will be taking an indefinite break. That's a decent hit for the eagles as McMeel is a prolific ball winner for them.

I was able to go and watch Koroit and North Warrnambool yesterday, I expected Koroit to win comfortably and they did but North to their credit had their opportunities to be closer at times. They won a lot of the contested stuff but fell down hitting targets and using the ball well going forward. Koroit on the other hand were very efficient going inside 50. A 10 goal win to the Saints and that's the gap between 2nd and 3rd this season....10 goals....it's a big one.
Ben Goodall was sublime with 6 goals and did what ever he wanted, he's an amazing player who seems to really never have a terrible game, always influential and probably not given enough praise. Not a lot of respect shown by the Eagles to him. Sam Dobson was again the stand out forward. Dallas Mooney was the rock down back taking numerous turnover marks from long kicks into the eagles forward line. The Eagles have some work to do before facing Warrnambool or another 10 goal hiding could be on the way. McLachlan and Wines were busy all day and probably the Eagles best. Good to see Hamilton notch up a win over the fancied Port Fairy side. Take away Koroit and Warrnambool and it's a fairly even comp....but the issue remains...who can put inroads into the two juggernauts of the comp.

I was able to go and watch Koroit and North Warrnambool yesterday, I expected Koroit to win comfortably and they did but North to their credit had their opportunities to be closer at times. They won a lot of the contested stuff but fell down hitting targets and using the ball well going forward. Koroit on the other hand were very efficient going inside 50. A 10 goal win to the Saints and that's the gap between 2nd and 3rd this season....10 goals....it's a big one.
Ben Goodall was sublime with 6 goals and did what ever he wanted, he's an amazing player who seems to really never have a terrible game, always influential and probably not given enough praise. Not a lot of respect shown by the Eagles to him. Sam Dobson was again the stand out forward. Dallas Mooney was the rock down back taking numerous turnover marks from long kicks into the eagles forward line. The Eagles have some work to do before facing Warrnambool or another 10 goal hiding could be on the way. McLachlan and Wines were busy all day and probably the Eagles best. Good to see Hamilton notch up a win over the fancied Port Fairy side. Take away Koroit and Warrnambool and it's a fairly even comp....but the issue remains...who can put inroads into the two juggernauts of the comp.

Thanks Hampden Mad , you and a couple Portland way are the only ones keeping this forum from dying.

Well done Hampden Mad! Interested in your thoughts about Terang ? I think they will be top 4. Camperdown have had a favorable draw so far but did well to win away against Portland on Saturday. They have Hamilton at home this week and a win on the weekend will be an excellent start for Phil Carse and his young Pies. Still a long way to go for a developing team but word is that Phil is doing an excellent job with the young list and his professionalism has been outstanding

Well done Hampden Mad! Interested in your thoughts about Terang ? I thopportunities they will be top 4. Camperdown have had a favorable draw so far but did well to win away against Portland on Saturday. They have Hamilton at home this week and a win on the weekend will be an excellent start for Phil Carse and his young Pies. Still a long way to go for a developing team but word is that Phil is doing an excellent job with the young list and his professionalism has been outstanding
I was a little disappointed in Camperdown on the weekend..Portland should have won the game but didnt capatalise on their opportunities. Not a criticism of Camperdown just expected a stronger performance from them against a young Portland team. Carse is very classy.

Koroit are certainly looking like the side to beat this season, I don't think even warrnambool will beat them this year. They have a list that no other team in the comp can compare with. Other seasons I have looked forward to portland playing the top sides to see where we stand in this comp, but this season I fear they will get absolutely flogged.
It has been well stated in the press about Terang, Camperdown, Hamilton, Cobden and South having young lists, but I'm not sure if everybody is aware that Portlands senior side in the first round against Port Fairy had 10 players under 18 and 5 under 20 and I don't think it's changed much since then. Even though they have lost the first 3 games it has been less then 2 kicks in all games, so I think they have done very well. Bad news though is they will lose Dignan in a few weeks which will hurt them more. On a positive is the form of Cam Mather who has been in the best in his two senior games so far and Clint Lancaster played his first game since 2008 in the ressies and got one of the best, great to see him back.

Well done Hampden Mad! Interested in your thoughts about Terang ? I think they will be top 4. Camperdown have had a favorable draw so far but did well to win away against Portland on Saturday. They have Hamilton at home this week and a win on the weekend will be an excellent start for Phil Carse and his young Pies. Still a long way to go for a developing team but word is that Phil is doing an excellent job with the young list and his professionalism has been outstanding

Thanks Clocktower! Now Terang I feel are in a position of safety. I mean this by they are better than the teams below them and not good enough for the teams above them, that will mean they will finish in the top 5, also lets not forget that top 4 means nothing, top 3 is the point you need to reach. They will play finals but it will be an elimination final and probably against Camperdown after their solid start, Camperdown now only have to keep beating those same sides they have to finish top 5. The only shining light that may really improve Terang is the return of some quality players from overseas in late June/early July. As to the quality of these two sides I'm not sure there's too much to crow about but there's sprinkles of talent in both. Camperdown has the right man at the helm and need to hold onto him for a few years. Terang I'm not so sure.

Koroit are certainly looking like the side to beat this season, I don't think even warrnambool will beat them this year. They have a list that no other team in the comp can compare with. Other seasons I have looked forward to portland playing the top sides to see where we stand in this comp, but this season I fear they will get absolutely flogged.
It has been well stated in the press about Terang, Camperdown, Hamilton, Cobden and South having young lists, but I'm not sure if everybody is aware that Portlands senior side in the first round against Port Fairy had 10 players under 18 and 5 under 20 and I don't think it's changed much since then. Even though they have lost the first 3 games it has been less then 2 kicks in all games, so I think they have done very well. Bad news though is they will lose Dignan in a few weeks which will hurt them more. On a positive is the form of Cam Mather who has been in the best in his two senior games so far and Clint Lancaster played his first game since 2008 in the ressies and got one of the best, great to see him back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back