HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's early days yet, and the clubs could pick a few up, but if Koroit, W'bool and Terang lose a few, esp their top line players, this Hampden league is not going to be as strong. Ovens and Murray next year are going to belt us next year in the next interleague game. One of their bottom clubs spends 250k a year on players, while our top clubs wouldn't spend no where as much. On the plus side, the Hampden league will be very even at this stage if the lower sides have their natural progression plus recruiting a few others, while the top sides will be weeker when their top line players leave. With Port Fairy, it comes down to retaining their top line players if the point system allows them 2.

I know it's early days yet, and the clubs could pick a few up, but if Koroit, W'bool and Terang lose a few, esp their top line players, this Hampden league is not going to be as strong. Ovens and Murray next year are going to belt us next year in the next interleague game. One of their bottom clubs spends 250k a year on players, while our top clubs wouldn't spend no where as much. On the plus side, the Hampden league will be very even at this stage if the lower sides have their natural progression plus recruiting a few others, while the top sides will be weeker when their top line players leave. With Port Fairy, it comes down to retaining their top line players if the point system allows them 2.
Which bottom club spends 250k in ovens & murray ? Or did u pull it out of the sky ?

I thought you were up in Melb

you have done well to see 4 of their games while working construction in Melb ;)...
I think wbool and Koroit have blown every team out of the water late in games it's not so much they don't have a defensive plan it's just they don't have the cattle.
I'd love to see sam dobson, Darmondy, couch, Okeefe, Goodall in the roosters forward line haha.

Lucky in this day and age we have vehicles Tom150 I never said I hadn't been back for weekends! I have a family, my wife is a nurse and my eldest son is playing u/18's. The time in melb limited the time I spent blogging.
I think that's a dream about the roosters thing would never happen.
The cattle point is fair but easy to fall back on.

New to the forum lads but long time reader! Always a great read! Hopefully I can add something to it as the new season approaches!
Just a question I have wondered: how many here are current players?! Or is everyone just supporters? I myself am a supporter and don't play.

I thought you were up in Melb

you have done well to see 4 of their games while working construction in Melb ;)...
I think wbool and Koroit have blown every team out of the water late in games it's not so much they don't have a defensive plan it's just they don't have the cattle.
I'd love to see sam dobson, Darmondy, couch, Okeefe, Goodall in the roosters forward line haha.

Perhaps the southerners could chase a few who might move from their original teams for a $$$. Players like Darmody & Couch have shown they are willing to move for $$$.

Lucky in this day and age we have vehicles Tom150 I never said I hadn't been back for weekends! I have a family, my wife is a nurse and my eldest son is playing u/18's. The time in melb limited the time I spent blogging.
I think that's a dream about the roosters thing would never happen.
The cattle point is fair but easy to fall back on.
Mick Malthouse and Paul Roos would tend to agree I reckon.

Perhaps the southerners could chase a few who might move from their original teams for a $$$. Players like Darmody & Couch have shown they are willing to move for $$$.
Couch will following his career as an actor or model soon won't he?

Yeah I'm sure Koroit paid big dollars for a fat Darmody this time last year. Maybe the clubs on the bottom should take a look at what Warrnambool and Koroit have been good at which is developing the players they have? Lynch, Gow, Mooney, Harrington. O'donnel, Bright, Moore, Hoy.

Yeah I'm sure Koroit paid big dollars for a fat Darmody this time last year. Maybe the clubs on the bottom should take a look at what Warrnambool and Koroit have been good at which is developing the players they have? Lynch, Gow, Mooney, Harrington. O'donnel, Bright, Moore, Hoy.

Also long time reader first time poster. Got on good authority that Darmody actually donated all match payments (somewhere between the standard $50-$100 per game based on career games played) straight back to the club to help develop the change rooms. Great example of someone grateful for the opportunities that were presented and further strengthens the culture out at Vic Park.

Also long time reader first time poster. Got on good authority that Darmody actually donated all match payments (somewhere between the standard $50-$100 per game based on career games played) straight back to the club to help develop the change rooms. Great example of someone grateful for the opportunities that were presented and further strengthens the culture out at Vic Park.

Oh really. Seems awfully strange that you have suddenly arrived on this site for the first time to defend Darmody and his charity work.

Oh really. Seems awfully strange that you have suddenly arrived on this site for the first time to defend Darmody and his charity work.

Not defending him at all. The constant over paying of players in country football has been a bug bear for a long time and I was just pleasantly surprised to hear that there are still players around who do things like that. I'm sure he wouldn't be the first or last to do something similar. Don't know the bloke at all but loved the story of persistence.

Which bottom club spends 250k in ovens & murray ? Or did u pull it out of the sky ?
I was talking 2 a guy who spoke with an official of that particular club. For them it was a big increase in spending, and they did that just to be competitive in that competition.

Last edited:
Another long time reader but never posted. Well done to all for an entertaining read during the year. Particular thanks to Hampden mad for his commitment over the past so many years. Well done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know a mate of darmondys so I asked him if he knew this to be true. He said it very well could be but that money would only be pocket change to him. Still well done if so, wonder if he would have done the same at the Eagles?

We have lost so much depth over the years to young players leaving to the district for coin, but can you really blame them for not taking it? Most are uni students or apprentices. An apprentice first year gets about 350 a week, tafe cost over $2000 without healthcare card, plus there is no tools allowance now just a loan they can take out. Be very hard to knock back a few hundred a week playing a game.

Players do what players do, some a great clubman some are hungry some are in between. Doesn't really matter. Let's get back to the chat on who needs what and who is going where! Someone must have some gossip out there!
Been very quiet on the whispers so far. And thanks for kind words splashadams

Moo Cowling unhappy at Warrnambool. Only finished 5th in the club B&F despite along with Dobson clearly being the best key forward in the comp. Plenty of clubs circling with $$ given Cowling is on unders at the Blues.

Moo Cowling unhappy at Warrnambool. Only finished 5th in the club B&F despite along with Dobson clearly being the best key forward in the comp. Plenty of clubs circling with $$ given Cowling is on unders at the Blues.

From what I can recall over the years Warrnambool does not lose too many rated players so if this is true(?) together with all the others who are supposedly leaving they will very likely tumble down the ladder.

Wow!! This forum is alive and kicking... Great to see. I'll keep my ears open over this side of the Comp and let you know as soon as I get any news.

From what I can recall over the years Warrnambool does not lose too many rated players so if this is true(?) together with all the others who are supposedly leaving they will very likely tumble down the ladder.

Even if Grahams, Cowling, Turlands, Chirnsides, Damo McCorkell (overseas) and co are rumored to leave I would highly doubt they all do. Also they regain Rowan and Schnerring. They were 100 points better than 3rd placed Nth Warrnambool. Would need to lose all of those players to fall down the ladder. I'm sure they are looking for a big time playing coach also so add that to the mix. I can't see the Blues dropping below 3rd in immediate future.

Portland have 2 or 3 from Adelaide in their sights. Some not sure whether one or more have been down.

Great news for Portland Sam. Will they travel down each weekend or move down permanently? They would be on serious money as I know how much Kowree Naracoorte sides pay for Adelaide based players. Good to see Portland having a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back