HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

From all reports Matt buck is going to give south a culture change for the better. Need it.

You a south follower Tom?
Big wraps on Buck in the paper from Adam Dowie during the week. South must be excited for the future. Can't wait to see what they do over the next two seasons.

Big wraps on Buck in the paper from Adam Dowie during the week. South must be excited for the future. Can't wait to see what they do over the next two seasons.
This year Souths had a star-studded of coaches and still finished with 5 wins this year. My point is you still need the cattle. Souths will not improve rapidly unless they can recruit a few experienced players, esp with big bodies. The younger ones next year will still have their natural improvement, by gaining more experience from training/playing, and work on building their bodies up. Plus some of the good young players need to add more defensive aspects to their games'. I'm sure Souths like every other club, are working hard on their recruiting, even though I got no news how their recruiting are going. Importantly, player retention is just as an important. I'm glad Souths have recruited an outsider as coach, so there will be a host of fresh ideas for the better, especially someone from the Dowie's stable who is the Alistair Clarkson of country footy.

Last edited:

Yep ... So far im hearing good things. I do believe mature age recruits would be vital but I from what I have heard he will get the most out of what he has to work with, I think they will push sides more and be close to that 5th spot.
Dowie gave huge raps in the paper and I don't think he would just say that.

This year Souths had a star-studded of coaches and still finished with 5 wins this year. My point is you still need the cattle. Souths will not improve rapidly unless they can recruit a few experienced players, esp with big bodies. The younger ones next year will still have their natural improvement, by gaining more experience from training/playing, and work on building their bodies up. I'm sure Souths like every other club, are working hard on their recruiting, even though I got no news how their recruiting are going. Importantly, player retention is just as an important.

All you need for improvement of any side is a good game plan and a team willing to all follow that game plan. Terang in '04 under Dowie is glowing evidence of that. Tipped to finish last they won the flag and ended up back to back premiers. It's not always about the "hired mercenaries" that each side needs. I agree they do still need a couple of players to really help along the youngsters but improvement isn't based on premierships it's based on quality of football and culture and then you hope/expect that reflects in results.

Confirmed in today's paper that Jay Moody is gong to try out with Geelongs VFL side and if he misses out will be playing in the GFL. Bit of a loss for the tigers , I hope the recruiters have some luck. Johnny Bell was another name I heard was crossing over to Portland but he has been named as assistant coach at Heywood.

Confirmed in today's paper that Jay Moody is gong to try out with Geelongs VFL side and if he misses out will be playing in the GFL. Bit of a loss for the tigers , I hope the recruiters have some luck. Johnny Bell was another name I heard was crossing over to Portland but he has been named as assistant coach at Heywood.

How do you think the young bloke would go in the gfl ?

How do you think the young bloke would go in the gfl ?
Hard to say, I've never seen a GFL game, but I would imagine it would be a step up again from the Hampden league. His problem has always been his height, he can play footy no doubt about it and has a great pair of hands for his size. I'm not sure where they can play him?

Hard to say, I've never seen a GFL game, but I would imagine it would be a step up again from the Hampden league. His problem has always been his height, he can play footy no doubt about it and has a great pair of hands for his size. I'm not sure where they can play him?

Thanks for the reply mate. Sounds like he may be a half forward/pocket player at gfl level. Does he play midfield at all ?

Thanks for the reply mate. Sounds like he may be a half forward/pocket player at gfl level. Does he play midfield at all ?
No worries mate, he's never played as a midfielder while at Portland at senior level. Might've played there in juniors. He went straight from u18s to seniors.

The GFL is the strongest "country" league in the VCFL, it's a huge step up from Hampden. Awesome quality of football especially amongst the higher sides. Hopefully Moody can find his feet in there, never a knock against blokes going to play the best footy possible!

Co
The GFL is the strongest "country" league in the VCFL, it's a huge step up from Hampden. Awesome quality of football especially amongst the higher sides. Hopefully Moody can find his feet in there, never a knock against blokes going to play the best footy possible!
couldnt agree more! GFL shouldn't really even be considered as a country league, it's a great step up from hampden. Good luck to him for having a crack, he can always come back.
There have been plenty of blokes who rather stay and be the big fish in a little pond. Would have been good to see box head go mix it up with few big boys in the vfl.

By the sounds of things he's going to a side that played finals this year so it'll be interesting to see how he goes! Seems to be highly rated around here so hopefully he enjoys the challenge next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom White has signed on with the Roosters for 2016. Former South Warrnambool player who also played at Nth before having a couple of strong years at Panmure.

Tom White has signed on with the Roosters for 2016. Former South Warrnambool player who also played at Nth before having a couple of strong years at Panmure.

Played at Port Fairy not North. Should be a solid pick up for the Roosters. Always nice to pick up a key forward at any side. He has signed as an assistant coach which is also a good sign that Buck is open to new ideas and looking for mentors for the young ones.

Hearing that along with Tom White that South Warrnambool have also signed Panmure on baller and former Rooster Patrick Mahoney. If this is true the ball is firmly rolling at South.

Hearing that along with Tom White that South Warrnambool have also signed Panmure on baller and former Rooster Patrick Mahoney. If this is true the ball is firmly rolling at South.
Will he be a regular senior player? Bit of step up from pamnure

Played at Port Fairy not North. Should be a solid pick up for the Roosters. Always nice to pick up a key forward at any side. He has signed as an assistant coach which is also a good sign that Buck is open to new ideas and looking for mentors for the young ones.

My bad Tom White did spend some time at Port Fairy and not Nth.

Will he be a regular senior player? Bit of step up from pamnure

Paddy Mahony definitely be a regular senior player. Played senior footy for Sth as a young player when they had very strong sides. Paddy very capable half fwd/on baller. Not saying he is as good as player as Tempy but Tempy started at Sth was in and out after U/18's went to Colliegans for a couple of years and the rest is history in terms of what he has achieved both individually and in terms of team success.
I guess my point is these young players such as Mahony and White can quite often come back as much improved and more rounded players at their second crack at HFNL. Would have thought both these blokes are much more accomplished players than James Fary who went from not getting a game in Vale 2014 flag side to playing every game for Warrnambool this year. Sam Wilson is another player who has become a regular at Warrnambool over the last 3 or 4 years after coming across from an ordinary Creek side. More and more players from the WDFNL are proving to be capable HFNL players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back