Discussion Hickey and Longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarke is another Stanley IMO. Give me Blicavs...a ruck man who can run with the best tall mid like Fyfe and Pendlebury...he is breaking the mold. Even Stanley, who is a fantastic athlete in his own right, looks pedestrian next to him. Anymore like that laying about?

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Zac Clarke is not much...

Occasional Good games make a player handy

Consistently good games, make a player good

With Occasional Great games make a player good, potentially very good

Consistently playing great games is done only by the greats.

Last year Stanley took 13 marks and dominated a game.

Hickey hasnt got near that ATM

Hickey has surprised me up forward. When he moves he is all arms and legs like a big octopus, but he does contest well at ground level and he disposes well by foot. That last pass to Bruce just before the final siren on the weekend was a lace out chest high bullet from memory!

Hickey has surprised me up forward. When he moves he is all arms and legs like a big octopus, but he does contest well at ground level and he disposes well by foot. That last pass to Bruce just before the final siren on the weekend was a lace out chest high bullet from memory!
LOL that reminded me of the old Jack Dyer quote.
That Mark Lee's arms were reaching up like giant testicles.:p

SK_MD_#7

Captain Dunstan
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nothing like cherry picking a stat… he had 20 hitouts, 19 touches, 8 marks and 3 goals in a game last year.

He has only played 30 odd games too.
Exactly.

Took Stanley until just over 50 games to have that 13 mark game.

What I've liked about Hickey of late is his tackling. Yes I'm going to have that Murphy tackle ingrained into my memory for some time but I also remember a beautiful tackle on the Doggies ruckman. 5 marks, 2 tackles and a goal a game averages at the moment, not too shabby

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have Tom and Billy as Handy at best atm

Longer has been huge for us in the ruck and is only getting better and will develop with the team. No coincidence that Hickey playing the last two games have also been our best performances.

Not sure if this is worth a new thread or not but if this Hickey-Longer combo works out and Richo sticks with the three talls long term, with Hickey and Bruce could that mean there's only one spot left for McCartin and Membrey? I'd start including myself in the midfield drills if I were Membrey to hopefully become a HF/mid. Long way to go of course.

Jun 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing I like most about Hickey is that high roaming forward role and his smarts. He's tall enough to be able to provide a significant bail out option if needed, he also has the smarts to tap the ball to advantage in a marking contest. I remember an instance where the ball had been kicked to him with his defender tight on him, so Hickey knocks it on the full, to it must've been Schneider, allowing for a quick inside 50 entrance which I think led to a goal.

It's quite a good combo thus far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The thing I like most about Hickey is that high roaming forward role and his smarts. He's tall enough to be able to provide a significant bail out option if needed, he also has the smarts to tap the ball to advantage in a marking contest. I remember an instance where the ball had been kicked to him with his defender tight on him, so Hickey knocks it on the full, to it must've been Schneider, allowing for a quick inside 50 entrance which I think led to a goal.

That was brilliant by Hickey... tapped it to Schneider, who gave it on to Billings...who missed a sitter!

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Not sure if this is worth a new thread or not but if this Hickey-Longer combo works out and Richo sticks with the three talls long term, with Hickey and Bruce could that mean there's only one spot left for McCartin and Membrey? I'd start including myself in the midfield drills if I were Membrey to hopefully become a HF/mid. Long way to go of course.
Not every game will benefit from the two ruck combo though. Some teams will play shorter and exploit that and wet games will also be a worry. I expect if we persist with the H/L combo it will be over 16 or so games a season with the rest spread across the two as main ruck.

What about the two laser kicks into the forward 50. Had no idea he had that in him.

mysainters

Cancelled
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hickey runs strangely.

Can't quite work it out.

I'd swear he has sore hips.

He's not slow, but he takes lots of little steps not big strides.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
I'm not mad on 3 talls, but I guess we're lucky that Bruce can contribute some genuine forward pressure... will be interesting to see this setup against some really good sides.

do you remember the disaster that was 1997. Losing Everitt and the Vidovic before the GF killed us, especially against the coming star Shaun Rehn. I have no problem with a stable of talls and they should all get adequate exposure.

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would you like me to cherry pick a few more stats Dragit

Or

Remind you that Mumford was the highest ranked player on the ground the same day Hickeys memorable game occurred
18pos
1 goal
46 HO
8 tackles
4 clearances

And twice last year Rhys had more than a dozen marks..
And those who think he had to wait 50 games to have a good game
Should do some research

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Would you like me to cherry pick a few more stats Dragit

Or

Remind you that Mumford was the highest ranked player on the ground the same day Hickeys memorable game occurred
18pos
1 goal
46 HO
8 tackles
4 clearances

And twice last year Rhys had more than a dozen marks..
And those who think he had to wait 50 games to have a good game
Should do some research
Hey Big Mart (Marto), if you use the @ symbol before someones name, they will know you are talking to them… a common courtesy that you have completely ignored along with using the quote function, no wonder BF posters are starting threads on SS begging for us to take you back.

Common courtesy will get you a long way in a life.

You gave Hickey our second best that game before inventing a new rating system that discredited him remember that?

You are clearly still trying to recover from call him a Warnock-Gumby, let's just enjoy his good form and move on - he's going very well surely?

mVRWg6O.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back