Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
he could now be the gia type player up forward

Perhaps, but typically we only use the Gia type as the sub. 450K for the sub, at what, 26 years of age... Doesn't represent good value in my book.

Defensively I think he's improved this year and should be played off HB, although he shouldn't be a certainty for this position. I like what I see in Darley and JJ, although both still need work to get to Higgins level.

Higgins is soft has been around for a while, and it's more his style. He looks at his best not when he's getting physical, but when he's distributing the ball on the outside, and that's what most people will see. Ergo, he gets labelled as soft, which he isn't.
I'm getting flashes of deja vu ... The same was said of Gia for a long time.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Other than the Saints game, I haven't been all that impressed in recent weeks, and most seem to suggest that he's as good as gone, but I agree with Tommycash here.

If he re-signs, I'd love to see Darley get a few more games on the HBF after another preseason, and move Hig back to the forward line. We look much more dangerous when he's down there, and unlike many of our forwards, he's actually a dead-eye (remember when Derrwayne was calling Crameri a dead-eye? :confused:).

If he re-signs, I'd love to see Darley get a few more games on the HBF after another preseason, and move Hig back to the forward line. We look much more dangerous when he's down there, and unlike many of our forwards, he's actually a dead-eye (remember when Derrwayne was calling Crameri a dead-eye? :confused:).

As much as I despise Dwayne is technically correct in this instance :p

afl.jpg

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
So much of that is subjective though. I love Crammers, but god damn does he miss some easy shots. I can't count on one hand the number of times he's missed from 30m out directly in front this year.

Surprised Breust gets it based on pressure, so many of his goals are handball receives where he drops it over the line.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I don't think he was saying use Higgins as the sub...just use him in a role similar to what Gia would do if he was on the ground.

Understand that, but what we have seen with Gia is that his declining speed doesn't let him influence as many games as he used to. He needs to come in when the heat is out (typically) and use his guile and skills to make a big impact. Higgins doesn't have the speed that will let him break away from an opponent. Opponents would put a quick HBF or BP player on him and then have that player run off him and create. In addition, given we have Dahl, Hunter, Cooney, KPF #1, KPF#2, Stringer, Bontempelli, Grant, Dickson, plus some of the resting midfielders - where do you create a spot for someone who isn't as capable of applying the defensive pressure needed to lock the ball in our F50 ??

For mine (and I'm happy to be proven wrong if he stays and kicks 45 goals from the HFF next year) - he is a HBF/partial midfield type.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm getting flashes of deja vu ... The same was said of Gia for a long time.

That's because by AFL standards they are both soft

Now this needs to be pointed out that they arnt scared but both play an outside game and prefer no contact

Every team needs them and there have been some very very good footballers in this bracket but let's be honest Gia and Higgo haven'tade a name for themselves as hard ball get players and several time during both careers they have heard footsteps

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
If Higgins stays , and I doubt he will , he plays forward most of the time.
Early in his career be was our best set shot , and I believe he could be again.

Jun 16, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For mine (and I'm happy to be proven wrong if he stays and kicks 45 goals from the HFF next year) - he is a HBF/partial midfield type.
45 goals is the cut off to what you would be happy with? Well that's definitely not going to happen, Crameri only kicked 33 so far. I don't think we have to worry about where he will slot in as he will be somewhere else next year.

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's because by AFL standards they are both soft

Now this needs to be pointed out that they arnt scared but both play an outside game and prefer no contact

Every team needs them and there have been some very very good footballers in this bracket but let's be honest Gia and Higgo haven'tade a name for themselves as hard ball get players and several time during both careers they have heard footsteps

Several times during both careers?

Bullshit. Absolute unadulterated bullshit.

Name the games. Bet you can't.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
45 goals is the cut off to what you would be happy with? Well that's definitely not going to happen, Crameri only kicked 33 so far. I don't think we have to worry about where he will slot in as he will be somewhere else next year.

Sorry, meant to be slightly tongue in cheek there. More of a here is something that wont happen, then 2 seconds later it actually happens..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question of whether Higgins is soft or not is a weird one for me... there has been the odd occasion where I've seen him being reluctant to put his body on the line and either pull out or not enter a contest. Most times though, he will stand in front of a monster and get absolutely creamed. I just think that those couple of times where he pulls out tend to stick in supporters minds. I don't think he's a soft player.

The question of whether Higgins is soft or not is a weird one for me... there has been the odd occasion where I've seen him being reluctant to put his body on the line and either pull out or not enter a contest. Most times though, he will stand in front of a monster and get absolutely creamed. I just think that those couple of times where he pulls out tend to stick in supporters minds. I don't think he's a soft player.
I think that may be more of that he is told we need him to be the one receiving the ball so he gets caught in two minds and it may look like he isn't being 'courageous'. But maybe apart from Griff he has taken some hard hits this year more than most.
I always find it funny that we all cry for outside players, but whenever we have them they are soft and usually cop more from our own supporters than most (think Eagleton as an example).

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Higgins isn't soft. I think his main issue is that he is a very low hurt factor player. He hasn't got the speed to break lines, nor the agility to beat a man nor a long penetrating kick to kick over the lines or pierce a defence. Unless he has a clear, clear advantage, you just don't see him beat a a man and emerge with the ball. He is almost always beaten or locked up.
On the positive, he is an excellent short kick (when in space like most others) and a good mark for his size (without being elite like Johnno or Monty). When he concentrates and wills himself int

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is a smart player and in a team that can give him space, he will set up play or get plenty of assists. In a young team like ours though where we play contested 1:1, he has neither the tools to play outside or the agility (Libba, Bonts) or strength (Smith, Boyd) to play inside

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Ralphy reckons he is off to Carlton.

Ralphy or "The Buzz" is a tool.

Quote from today's Hun.

"The Blues would receive no free-agency compensation for Waite, but are likely to secure Shaun Higgins as a free agent when he leaves the Western Bulldogs."

I see. I was neither here nor there about Higgins staying or going, but now I want him to stay just so The Buzz gets exposed for the b******* spinner he is.

Unless he has spoken to Higgins, he's printing speculation as fact.

Quote from today's Hun.

"The Blues would receive no free-agency compensation for Waite, but are likely to secure Shaun Higgins as a free agent when he leaves the Western Bulldogs."

I see. I was neither here nor there about Higgins staying or going, but now I want him to stay just so The Buzz gets exposed for the b******* spinner he is.

He claims he has spoken to Higgins manger, who knows if that's true or if he is just guessing.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Quote from today's Hun.

A 'journalist' in making s**t up shocker..... I don't believe it.... Next you'll be telling me that James Hird has taken 'full responsibility' for something..... [/sarcasm mode]

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
A 'journalist' in making s**t up shocker..... I don't believe it.... Next you'll be telling me that James Hird has taken 'full responsibility' for something..... [/sarcasm mode]

Yes, yes, I know, it's a shocking revelation, but Ralph seems to be an expert at it when it comes to trades. He starts the spinning about 'potential trades and done deals' about Round 6.

He claims he has spoken to Higgins manger, who knows if that's true or if he is just guessing.
Who else does his manager have on the books?
Player managers tend to try and "swap" a couple of players every year so players on their roster know that they are looking for the best deals possible for them.

Who else does his manager have on the books?
Player managers tend to try and "swap" a couple of players every year so players on their roster know that they are looking for the best deals possible for them.

Having a look the only other AFL player with the group is Brett Moloney who is now retired. Majority are basketballers.

Back