Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn't performing at AFL level and he didn't perform in the reserves, simple as that.

There could well be a more sinister reason behind him spending time in the reserves, but there's a perfectly valid reason that is tangible to us now, regardless.

I hope he hits some form and signs a new contract, he's brilliant at his best, but it wouldn't be devastating to lose him.
I didn't see it but his stats seemed good and the writers liked his game. I wouldn't mind seeing him go forward tbh.

The biggest problem with Higgins, and why I believe he gets lambasted by fans so often, is that everyone can see he has potential to be a very very good player but he consistently fails to deliver fully on that potential. If you look at his best in each aspect, kicking/marking/fitness/agility/footy nous/etc, it is very good. It's just that consistently, every now and again (if that makes sense), he will scrub an easy kick or go lame in a contest or easily get out marked or not run hard enough or whatever. I don't know if it's a lack of concentration or what, but it will always happen at some point. Fans tend to remember these mistakes and blast him unfairly for it. I just see it as 'part of the package', so while I consider Higgo to be a relatively good player I would happily take an end of first round draft pick for him if he wants to go and he won't accept what we think he's worth in dollars. I'd rate him at about pick 20-25.

Based on the inconsistencies in his game I'm not convinced he is best 22 at the moment. I'd take the line that I'd be happy to keep him, at the right money, but equally happy to see him go in order to free up a little more salary cap space for some one as exciting as Macrae or Bonts.

Another way of looking at it... if his extra $ was the difference between keeping or losing one of those younger players... or Dahl, Libba, Stringer - who would you rather have? The player who delivers generally but is also wasteful at times - or the Bont who ducks and weaves around three Melbourne blokes after winning his own ball and threading the needle? No brainer.

This is what I am getting at, there is no hate towards Higgins at all, this is an opinion on his ability or value to our club, this has nothing to do with hate. We have been outstanding to him as a club, some of us believe its time to move him on. This is a business, not a love or heart balm or hate decision, what are you on about.
I don't understand the hate for Higgins from some on here. It seems to me that he's got his body right and was having a reasonable season until a few weeks ago. I don't want to see us overpay him or anyone on our list, but why the hate?

For those who think Higgins is being paid an obscene amount of money - what is his contact worth? Does anyone on here have a source to confirm his current contract remuneration?[/QUOTE

I didn't see it but his stats seemed good and the writers liked his game. I wouldn't mind seeing him go forward tbh.
I agree. He's very damaging up forward. There's an element of class and composure with Higgins that could instill a great deal of confidence in our forward line. Circa 2009 I was really excited about his future, he just seemed so positive and attacking.

Though he's playing good footy, I think he's wasted at half back.

This is what I am getting at, there is no hate towards Higgins at all, this is an opinion on his ability or value to our club, this has nothing to do with hate. We have been outstanding to him as a club, some of us believe its time to move him on. This is a business, not a love or heart balm or hate decision, what are you on about.

You said that Higgins is a non-performer and not best 22 and called for the club to get rid of him. That's what I mean by the hate for Higgins.

You also say Higgins is a highly paid player - what is Higgins being paid? You don't know, do you?

$280k as the AFL average probably means that a player on the fringe of best 22, for a club paying 100% of the cap, will be paid around that $280k mark.

Hasn't it been reported on here that we are offering Higgins $325-$350k? If that's true, then when compared to the average salary of $280k for a fringe 22 player, we are offering Higgins about what he is worth...surely?

I would think with our list and age profile, it's about what he is worth...

I find it hilarious that those with Higgins derangement syndrome in the same breath will ask for the world in compensation if he goes. They remind me of the Essendon supporters last year with Crameri, "He's s**t, ordinary, flat track bully.", "We'll accept nothing less for him than pick 4 and Tom Liberatore!"

I find it hilarious that those with Higgins derangement syndrome in the same breath will ask for the world in compensation if he goes. They remind me of the Essendon supporters last year with Crameri, "He's s**t, ordinary, flat track bully.", "We'll accept nothing less for him than pick 4 and Tom Liberatore!"
'We got bent over in that deal, if the AFL hadn't fraudulently punished us for "poor governance" we'd have Pick 4 and thus Bontempelli, stupid Dogs'

'Crameri's a flat track bully and a dud, and despite leading our goalkicking for 3 consecutive years before being traded, and now leading the WB goalkicking having performed well against several sides, he's never been any good'

God damn it immortalmike, you've riled me up. I want to buy a Crameri jumper now.

The first thing i thought when i saw Higgins dropped was the Crameri situation.

We dropped him this time last year when he form wasn't great but certainly didn't deserve axing.

I find it strange that he would want to move after all the faith shown in him through injuries, then he has a good run at it, finds some consistency then wants out.

Maybe feels he is being played out of position?

Pretty confident he feels like he's being played out of position and that's an exacerbating reason that led to him being dropped.

He will go if the rumour mill is correct as he will chase the coin.

All clubs lose players at some point and if he wants to go under free agency then that's his call. We are building a culture and all the players can choose whether or not to by in to that.

So if he leaves would we get any compensation at all?

That being said, I would rather him to stay of course, but if we would get something semi-decent I have no problems with it. Especially if he wants huge coin and Darley and JJ continue to develop into worthy rebounding defenders.

We take our chances as the AFL decide what compensation we get. If he can get himself on some decent coin it helps us as does his age profile. Would hope for band 2 (end of round 1 pick) but he'd need to get a decent contract offer from GWS or Brissie or someone to help us get it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the s**t I just read in this thread, Jesus.

Higgins is a required player as far as I'm concerned. Need to keep him without overpaying.

Some of the s**t I just read in this thread, Jesus.

Higgins is a required player as far as I'm concerned. Need to keep him without overpaying.
I think I agree with you but despite trying more than once I'm having trouble reading your post. Your avatar is hypnotic.

quite simple really, based on his form for the most of the year we should keep him, but we can't afford to overpay him because he's a constant injury risk. Seems to be what most on here have said but apparently they all have red white and blue coloured glasses?

quite simple really, based on his form for the most of the year we should keep him, but we can't afford to overpay him because he's a constant injury risk. Seems to be what most on here have said but apparently they all have red white and blue coloured glasses?

You forgot to mention he is apparently overpaid although we don't know what he is on exactly, oh and "Mr Higgins" shouldn't be a "c*ntrag" apparently. I can't believe the amount of disrespect given to our players and coach by some "supporters". I would really love to see some of the people calling Higgins soft or a c*ntrag go out and play against him.

And if its being part of a clique to actually support your club without resorting to personal abuse and/or irrational criticism of those within the club, well I guess I am part of a clique, maybe even a Bulldogs supporter.

Personally am ambivalent about Higgins, and for those preferring to use terms such as "c*ntrag", that means I could take him or leave him.

The thing that's disappointed me with Higgins is that he seems to go missing against the top sides. I've been a knocker of his on here before but I liked the first half of his season. But people are right in saying the club has been very good to him through his injuries, showed faith. If he wants to see what his market value is worth then good luck to him. Personally I'd prefer to see us persist with darley and jj and his days as a forward/mid are gone, thanks to players like Dahl, honeychurch, Hunter, hrovat... who have more aggression and pace but still footy smarts and kicking skills. Good luck to him if he goes but we can cover him these days, exemplified by last week's win against the suns.

His first quarter in the 2009 preliminary final demonstrated how dangerous he can be off half forward.

If he comes back in, and with Wood, Murph and JJ all playing damaging half back roles at present, I'd play him "in position" off a HFF and see whether he can rediscover some of that.

He wasn't performing at AFL level and he didn't perform in the reserves, simple as that.
There could well be a more sinister reason behind him spending time in the reserves, but there's a perfectly valid reason that is tangible to us now, regardless.
I hope he hits some form and signs a new contract, he's brilliant at his best, but it wouldn't be devastating to lose him.

I thought his form last week for Footscray was very good, yes his kicking efficiency was very ordinary but he was certainly in our best 3 with 33 possessions and 7 tackles.
I would keep him unless losing him is tied up with a deal we could not refuse by bringing us a great trade/draft advantage.

I personally think that he's wasted at half-back. He'd be really threatening as a flanker or pocket that can take his turn through the midfield.

Higgins lack of fwd line defensive pressure has killed us in the past when he has played there. Maybe he's grown a leg this year with less injury?

Higgins lack of fwd line defensive pressure has killed us in the past when he has played there. Maybe he's grown a leg this year with less injury?

Agreed, and the other problem is we have too many HFF types and too few good kicks off half back... If he doesn't want to do the team thing and wants to walk, he wont be missed if that is his attitude...

He might be wasted at HBF but the fact is we've had to play him there because of a simple lack of AFL quality, natural, HBFers.
Young, Goodes showing nothing compared to last year. Goodes is a natural midfielder not a HBfer anyway
Pearce has been injured for pretty much all of last year and this year and by any means is more of a traditional back pocket rather than a rebounding flanker
Wood is a medium defender but he's playing more of a medium, lockdown type rather than a running player like he has for most of his career up until this season. Thumbs up to the coaching staff for changing his role which has seen him with career best form.
JJ's form has been patchy this year.
Howard was good enough to force his way into the team again this season but honestly can't see him being best 22 again as much as I like him.
Fuller was expected to make an instant impact and now it's 50/50 whether we'll delist him early or not, again, hope he can do well

As you can see as a result of the above we've been forced to play Higgins in the position of HBF

You forgot to mention he is apparently overpaid although we don't know what he is on exactly, oh and "Mr Higgins" shouldn't be a "c*ntrag" apparently. I can't believe the amount of disrespect given to our players and coach by some "supporters". I would really love to see some of the people calling Higgins soft or a c*ntrag go out and play against him.

And if its being part of a clique to actually support your club without resorting to personal abuse and/or irrational criticism of those within the club, well I guess I am part of a clique, maybe even a Bulldogs supporter.

Personally am ambivalent about Higgins, and for those preferring to use terms such as "c*ntrag", that means I could take him or leave him.
Bravo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back