Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

His first quarter in the 2009 preliminary final demonstrated how dangerous he can be off half forward.

If he comes back in, and with Wood, Murph and JJ all playing damaging half back roles at present, I'd play him "in position" off a HFF and see whether he can rediscover some of that.

Pinning our hopes on what he did for half a game five years ago doesn't fill me with confidence. Heart says stay, head says get a good compo pick and move forward.

Pinning our hopes on what he did for half a game five years ago doesn't fill me with confidence. Heart says stay, head says get a good compo pick and move forward.
Tend to agree. 5 years is half a career ago and one half of football.........

However, no need for personal attacks. I am sure he gives 100% for the cause and it is a lot harder on that side of the fence than on a keyboard. Anyone who calls any AFL player soft is full of it.

Not fussed either way. Deserves to be where he is at the moment. Had a good third quarter in in VFL, otherwise butchered it pretty badly. At his consistent best is in best 22 but not top 10. May be better for both parties to go separate ways

I like Higgins as a player/clubman, but he's not big money stuff. What does he currently bring to the table? Pretty good ball in hand, not super quick, not particularly defensive for a hbf. Could be used in a more quarterback role, but how much improvement is left in the guy?
If we can get a second round compo because someone wants to throw an irresponsible contact at him, that's a win/win really. I doubt that will happen so smooth, if it happens at all.

Also, Collingwood linked to player X is hardly a news story anymore. *ers have spies on every corner.

I think you're being a bit harsh here in some respects, we'll never know what could have been with Higgins (or Williams for example) due to injury. But I get where you are coming from in some respects. I can understand the frustration from fans who see him as collecting a massive salary (compared to the average man) while not actually playing and then not committing to the club.

And I agree with the bold section a little more. Not specifically for Higgins, but I can soon see the average guy on our list (Dickson, Stevens, Austin, maybe even Grant if he doesn't pull his finger out etc) very soon replaced by the new breed - hungry, talented and young.. And this can only bode well for the future...
Not sure if you could add Koby Stevens into that group, I think he has been a great pick up for our club. He looks like he gives 110% all the time, yes sometimes he turns it over, but I think he is much better than the group you put him in.

Stevens isn't talking to the right people. My edit would be;

"Higgins is rumoured (arse covering) to be happy to stay at the dogs for the top bid and if played where he believes he plays his best footy. Doesn't feel there is loyalty in footy any more and happy to move interstate with some exceptions."

Doesn't paint as pretty a tweet though... And for what its worth I don't dislike him, think he's a good player and would be happy to keep him. As a supporter I feel massively disappointed he seems to feel no residual loyalty to the hundreds of thousands we've paid him to sit on a bike in rehab.

But that's just me. In summary - gone unless we overpay so 99 percent gone....

Also. I get footy is a business. Business is also a business. And there are plenty of staff in every business who get offered more money to switch to a competitor and stay instead because of cultural fit or loyalty or loyalty that their current company has shown them in previous years. As a manager I'm a big believer in those people. I'm confident Shaun doesn't appear to be one. My ethos is support them up or support them out. Hope he gets paid a fortune for our benefit re compensation.

Not sure if you could add Koby Stevens into that group, I think he has been a great pick up for our club. He looks like he gives 110% all the time, yes sometimes he turns it over, but I think he is much better than the group you put him in.

You might be right. In the past we've always loved the guys we've had who were limited skill wise, but gave 100% (or even more). People like Cross, Boyd, Picken, Morris etc.

I put Stevens into this category, Clay Smith may also be another. My personal opinion is that if we can eventually minimise the number of these type of players, while still having the work ethic that they can bring - we'll be seriously on the way up. It may take a couple of years, but hopefully it happens.

I heard from a very reliable source today that Higgin's was dropped for not following team orders. And that McCartney is absolutely ruthless with players and when they're dropped it's for a month, not a week or 2. There's a good chance Higgins and Grant will be moved on.

If he wants to go, then he goes. Happy for him to stay, but don't pay overs. Sometimes, players need to repay the faith and he hasn't as yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard from a very reliable source today that Higgin's was dropped for not following team orders. And that McCartney is absolutely ruthless with players and when they're dropped it's for a month, not a week or 2. There's a good chance Higgins and Grant will be moved on.
Uneasy with the idea of losing two very talented players of a good age for us in Grant and Higgins.

Uneasy with the idea of losing two very talented players of a good age for us in Grant and Higgins.
Perhaps so, but neither is in the team at the present and on form don't really deserve to be. McCartney is not the kind of coach who makes wholesale changes to his list, he prefers to keep and develop so you would expect at least one of these to be retained. It's fair to ask the question though, would we miss them if both were gone?

Perhaps so, but neither is in the team at the present and on form don't really deserve to be. McCartney is not the kind of coach who makes wholesale changes to his list, he prefers to keep and develop so you would expect at least one of these to be retained. It's fair to ask the question though, would we miss them if both were gone?

With a strike rate of Stringer, Macrae, Bontempelli, Hrovat, Hunter, Honeychurch - sign me up for the picks...

Although on a more serious note, I'll wait to see what happens between now and the end of the season before I discard two players with skills we can use and in the right age bracket...

Can't agree with that.
Why would we move on Grant in an injury interrupted year after he's we'd sign him to a two year deal?

Would quite happily trade Missy, he's injury prone & been tantalising us for years with glimpses without ever unloading the full package.

Have no idea why Carlton would want him though, I thought Daisy Thomas was the cherry on top of their 2014 Premiership icing. I suppose they'll want to consolidate their flag success in 2015 and Higgins is the man for the job

I can't rememeber those that belittled me for saying Higgins is no good and apparently thy thought he would be top 5 in out b and f

Neither will I spend time looking through past posts as it's just pathetic when people do that

BUT I accept your apologies so all I good :)

Only way he stays now is the same way away be Campbell did with the tigers. Put himself on market and no one wanted him for anywhere near what he thought he was worth.

Th only worry is it took Macca so long to see what 75% of fans have from day one

I can't rememeber those that belittled me for saying Higgins is no good and apparently thy thought he would be top 5 in out b and f

Neither will I spend time looking through past posts as it's just pathetic when people do that

BUT I accept your apologies so all I good :)

Only way he stays now is the same way away be Campbell did with the tigers. Put himself on market and no one wanted him for anywhere near what he thought he was worth.

Th only worry is it took Macca so long to see what 75% of fans have from day one

Man you crave some love and attention. And a self confessed expert.
Does the sun ever shine for you ?

Do me a favour and ignore me

I'm not an expert and I don't need to be to watch Higgins half ass jogging and poor attempts to have a real crack.

But those of us that said this were told we didn't have a clue and Higgins was doing well, well I guess he is in the VFL :)

Lol do u miss the irony in someone saying I need attention while they use the moniker "KINGharold" ?

Next .....

Can't agree with that.
Why would we move on Grant in an injury interrupted year after he's we'd sign him to a two year deal?

I've heard grant described as one of the most un-coachable players they've ever seen, and the dogs didn't even bother to call his old coaches for a reference before recruiting him. Sure he has talent, but if he doesn't do what's asked of him, he should be gone. I too was surprised when he was given 2 years. Maybe he has turned a corner in life as he's matured.

Part of the problem I think is the recruiters are too scared to cut someone loose if they were a high draft pick. Instead they stick it out for years hoping that pick will pay off to forgo the embarrassment of admitting they got it wrong.

Do me a favour and ignore me

I'm not an expert and I don't need to be to watch Higgins half ass jogging and poor attempts to have a real crack.

But those of us that said this were told we didn't have a clue and Higgins was doing well, well I guess he is in the VFL :)

Lol do u miss the irony in someone saying I need attention while they use the moniker "KINGharold" ?

Next .....

Your right again, you have too much intellectual firepower for me.
And must admit I was hoping my avatar would gain some attention for me.
By the way I'm not one of those that have said you haven't got a clue , I just want you to find some more light in your life .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back