highlights and lowpoints of the season aswell as best games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Langa

Senior List
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
With the home and away season almost to a close, what have been some of your favourite moments from season 2015 as well as best games?

Western Bulldogs rise to fame has been a success story. Great early wins when they smacked the Crows at Eithad by 13 goals was a feel good moment. Eclipsing the Swans at the G was a big one! On the flip side dropping a 55 point lead to the Saints was also a highlight to me because those sorts of come backs are rare in the modern game { 40 and 50+ point deficits }

The Western Australian run that saw them sit 1&2 on the ladder was a pleasant surprise. Dockers I thought could be top 4, as for my team WCE not in my wildest dreams did I foresee this.

Favourite games besides my own team would have the Tigers starring in several. Matches vs Freo x 2, Hawks, Swans, Pies early on, even GWS where they rallied and dug in was good to witness. Loved the spankings they gave to the Suns and Pies.

Dons vs Port was a beauty, as was the Roos vs Power and eagles vs Port in an arm wrestle. Also enjoyed Port vs the Hawks, Pies and Cats.

A highlight was seeing the hawks hit their straps. Too many levels above the rest when they're on, no one could get close. They staked their claim on the big prize with those 7 or 8 wins on the trot.

Low points - Powers form, Walsh, and the Goodes saga. Just the way it got blown out of proportion. Melbourne after an encouraging start the first half of the season once again went back to being, Melbourne. Too much congested footy also is a low point and the stupid umpires and their holding the ball interpretation.

Highlight for me appart from goldy ( he really has been good this year ) has just been watching soo many competitive games, i haven't looked too far back so i wont pick a favourite game or moment just yet. So many games have resulted in upset from unlikely or underrated teams without the favourite being too far off the mark.

Who woulda thought before rd 1 that the eagles would be one of the flag favorites. It really has been a good season if you decide to Ignore the umpiring and adjudication as a whole (because we all have seen how s**t it's been). Could honestly be anyones flag if they can find form.

Hawthorn v Sydney game earlier in the year when Sydney got off to a flyer to be 5 goals up only for Hawthorn to come back and choke was a good game.

Low Points: Walsh tragedy

Highlights:
Both WA teams in 1st and 2nd position
St Kilda comeback against the dogs
Menzel comeback after 4 ACL surgeries
Western Bulldogs position on the ladder. Who would of picked that?
Port Adelaide's first quarter against the Hawks
Adelaide making finals after what happened
Hogan and Cripps rise into the AFL
Fyfe vs Dangerfield's contest earlier in the year

s**t things-
Abletto being injured for hte whole season, everyone crapping on about how amazing Fyfe is right before he stopped being amazing, all the bullshit surrounding Menzel- yeah yeah 4 injuries and he's playing footy again, what a ******* miracle that is, hey?, mick malthouse pissing all over the cralton footy club right before leaving, all the shithead bogans pretending jeering an aboriginal is not racist.

good things-
james hird getting the arse, the warm and fuzzy stuff post walsh, melbourne beating geelong, melbourne beating collingwood, seeing hogan after a year injured and him kicking ass, goodsey tributes, womens afl being televised, footys great i love it

edit: lions being s**t was a good thing too, especially the bit where all the bigfooty supporters started begging for priority picks and then pretending it was for reasons other than being s**t.

Last edited:
Probably not the most uplifting season on record. Hopefully the highlight is a threepeat, but it's a little difficult to find a premiership winner without question marks hanging over their heads. There have been good games, but there have been some shockers...living in Qld, where you get both home state sides every week, maybe my view is a bit skewed...

GWS and Footscray have been fantastic improvers, Richmond finally has credibility, WC have sprayed a huge can of STFU over their detractors, Freo got top spot (speaks for itself), and Adelaide are the dictionary definition of guts. Not saying a word about Hawthorn. Sydney and North don't seem to have advanced...

The Qld teams have been rubbish, Carlton a joke, and Melbourne are emphasising just how bad their previous seasons have been, because their improvement this season would be another team's nadir. If Port are the club of success they claim to be, then this preseason will be brutal, because they failed miserably in 2015. Both Collingwood and Geelong revealed themselves to be further in decline than they thought, and last week's Geelong effort absolutely ruled off the golden years. St Kilda seem to have attracted a lot of positive press despite their WL record. And then there's Essendon...boy oh boy wowee...thank god I was given a Hawk yoyo at the Launceston show as a little kid, because if they'd got me a Bombers one, I might have stuck with them...far too young to be forced down a road of lifelong misery...

But that previous paragraph is every season. What will stick in my mind are the two lowlights - Phil Walsh and Adam Goodes. Phil was an unimagineable shock, straight out of the most sordid American sports news. No winners...although the Crows have revealed themselves as a playing list full of character. The Adam Goodes saga has revealed some very disturbing and depressing things about the Australian psyche...I'm less proud to be an Aussie as a result...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowlight.

You know who claiming vindication and innocence because they were found not guilty due to lack of evidence. That chilled my spine.

Highlight.

John Worsfold and West Coast supporters stepping up to the plate after the Walsh tragedy.
Tribunal highlight was Woosha's character reference for Masten. When asked who he supported, said Adelaide with a straight bat :)

Highlights:

-Adelaide's extremely aesthetic brand of football. They've looked stunning in some of the beltings they've dished out. West Coast, North and Essendon games all come to mind.
-Port Adelaide's opening quarter vs Hawthorn. Not often a team plays so ridiculously well that you actually laugh. The comeback from the Hawks livened things up too.
-Jake Stringer and the Bont
-some entertaining one on one match ups with Alex Rance. He's dished out some absolute hidings (Buddy the most memorable one) and has been rarely beaten.
-Patrick Cripps giving Carlton something to salvage from the year.
-Kennedy's goalkicking. Probably going to be the highest H&A total since 2010. Could even beat it if he kicks 7. With 3 finals he could crack 90. His 10 against Carlton were particularly entertaining.
-Chad Wingard. So satisfying to watch him play. Loved him lighting up the Hawks after getting crunched last week.
-Saints winning a game by 100+. Didn't see that coming at all.
-Daniel Menzel's return.
-Bombers collapsing in a heap after declaring themselves top 4 locks after round 2.
-pies collapsing in a heap after declaring themselves 2017 premiers.
-The form of Eddie Betts.
-Freo getting the first minor premiership.
-Richmond's big upsets on the road. The Freo blitz and Sydney comeback were huge. Hawks game too.
-Hird gone
-Melbourne finally having the key ingredients of a good team (key forward and defender, ruckman, promising midfield). Just keep building.

Lowlights:

-West Coast losing defender after defender.
-no Ablett.
-The jizz fest that occurred over Fyfe in Ablett's absence.
-Hodge's thuggery.
-match review panel fixing results. Buddy just the 1 week and free to play Hawthorn? Hodge back just in time for finals? Fyfe cleared to play and win the Brownlow? Get ****ed.
-Top 8 set in stone with a round to go.
-pretty much every single Brisbane game. There's nothing interesting about them at the moment at all. Constantly belted every week without giving a whimper and they don't even have a star or two to draw you in like the Gold Coast do. Who the * wants to watch Luke McGuane?
-Gold Coast injuries. lost their entire midfield and were a non-event.
-Phil Walsh
-the Goodes circus
-the Steve Morris up forward experiment.

Best part of the season for me was after Phil Walsh's unfortunate passing, there were no club songs for the round. Just a huddle in the middle of the field and silence.

s**t things-
Abletto being injured for hte whole season, everyone crapping on about how amazing Fyfe is right before he stopped being amazing, all the bullshit surrounding Menzel- yeah yeah 4 injuries and he's playing footy again, what a ******* miracle that is, hey?, mick malthouse pissing all over the cralton footy club right before leaving, all the shithead bogans pretending jeering an aboriginal is not racist.

good things-
james hird getting the arse, the warm and fuzzy stuff post walsh getting killed, melbourne beating geelong, melbourne beating collingwood, seeing hogan after a year injured and him kicking ass, goodsey tributes, womens afl being televised, footys great i love it

edit: lions being s**t was a good thing too, especially the bit where all the bigfooty supporters started begging for priority picks and then pretending it was for reasons other than being s**t.

What the *... o_O

Well done Langa you made an original thread. Congratulations.

Anyway, my game of the year is Port v North earlier this year. Absolutely awesome game.

North vs Collingwood was also a great game.

For reasons too complicated to explain I can't often take my sons to see a match - almost never in fact. Ten years ago I took my oldest to a match where the Tiges beat the Dogs in a thriller in the last. He fell asleep at 3 qtr time and slept through the song. Every time I've taken him since the timing has been wrong and he and (in more recent years) his younger brother have witnessed losses.

This year I took them to the MCG and, amongst 60,000+, we saw the Tiges demolish Hawthorn. We sang the best song in footy with the two of them on either side of me - my arms around them.

Damn you'd have to be a bitter, sad human being to describe Menzel's return from injury and the positive response to it as a "s**t thing".
What the ****... o_O
there was too much talking about it when it was on tv i just watned ling and bt to talk to me abuot the football match, not about how menzel this and menzel that and all this fairytale bullshit. i get it, he hurt his leg some times and did football afterwards, he didn't cure cancer or fly to the moon or anything.

people acting like he's *in lazarus, get your hand off it.

edit: kneecapperthe return from inury wasn't s**t that was amazing, great achievement, just too much talking about it.

there was too much talking about it when it was on tv i just watned ling and bt to talk to me abuot the football match, not about how menzel this and menzel that and all this fairytale bullshit. i get it, he hurt his leg some times and did football afterwards, he didn't cure cancer or fly to the moon or anything.

people acting like he's ****in lazarus, get your hand off it.
He did 4 ACLs each requiring knee reconstructions. It's not that easy to get back to footy and play so well after all of that. But I can see that sympathy is not your forte. Seems ridiculous you would add this as one of the "s**t things" of the season.

people acting like he's ****in lazarus, get your hand off it.

edit: kneecapperthe return from inury wasn't s**t that was amazing, great achievement, just too much talking about it.

Man you have a s**t outlook on life.

He did 4 ACLs each requiring knee reconstructions. It's not that easy to get back to footy and play so well after all of that.
yeah i heard this infinity times already they said it every 3 seconds on tv when he played.
Seems ridiculous you would add this as one of the "s**t things" of the season.
i didn't. leanr to read.
Man you have a s**t outlook on life.
nah i'm all peace love & flowers and s**t i just think people who talk so much about menzel are boring as *, sorryi don't agree with you :(. have a rainbow: :rainbow:

edit: i should also say i have brain damage and i can't remember thins very well, if menzel rose from the dead like three weeks ago it woudln't be an issue, i'd have forgotten it by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back