Running/Fitness HIIT

Remove this Banner Ad

lots of early mornings for you I imagine.

Is he tall?
Yeh he is 6 foot 5 in the old. He has essentially pissed it off for Year 12 next year. Will still swim for Xavs but no other training -

you don't have to jog continuously for 20mins really, just move for 20mins at a steady pace

so you could jog a length of a footy field, do 20 push ups, run, plank, run, squats, run, rows pon football fence etc

or just start w/ tempo runs where you run @ 60 - 70% x 50 - 100m resting about 30 - 60secs...this shouldn't be hard (nor should the field runs above)

could anyone suggest a beginner HIIT program for me? I am looking to try and do a bit extra for pre-season this year.

FWIW, I am 26 years old, play in the SCAFL (South Coast/Illawarra region NSW).

100kg, 182cm, play full forward but would love to lose some weight and run through the midfield again (used to play midfield all through juniors).

I am already doing 3-4 gym sessions a week (general cross-fit all over type program).

could anyone suggest a beginner HIIT program for me? I am looking to try and do a bit extra for pre-season this year.

FWIW, I am 26 years old, play in the SCAFL (South Coast/Illawarra region NSW).

100kg, 182cm, play full forward but would love to lose some weight and run through the midfield again (used to play midfield all through juniors).

I am already doing 3-4 gym sessions a week (general cross-fit all over type program).

http://www.cutandjacked.com/HIIT-8-Week-Cardio-Interval-Training-Progression

Something as easy a, sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds and repeat as many times as you can (between 10-20 mins). Once you build up and your find the 20 seconds "easy" you can up to 30 seconds on 30 seconds off. You can do this 2 times a week to start of and build up to 3 times a week, and i would suggest doing one of these sessions with hill sprints, 10-15 seconds for fill sprint and 45-50 seconds rest as hill sprints are a lot more taxing than sprinting on a flat surface. Try to incorporate these sprint sessions on a leg day so you don't over train your legs every day.

My current running program;

Week 1 and 2: 20 seconds sprint 40 seconds walk for 9 mins Mon Thurs
: Saturday is hill sprints approx 15 seconds each x 10
Week 3 and 4: 30 seconds sprint 30 seconds walk for 12 mins Mon Thursday
: Saturday is hill sprints approx 20 seconds each x 12
Week 5 and 6: 20 seconds sprint 20 seconds walk 20 seconds sprint Mon Thurs
: Saturday is hill sprints approx 25 seconds each x 15

Monday and Thursday are am sessions before work. Saturday is after my full body work out at the gym. In the gym, i train lower body Monday, Upper body Tuesday and Thursday Full body all in the evening.

Wednesday's i will either have footy training for about 1.5 hours or go for a 45min-1 hour walk.

I'm 5'10 and 86-88kg, play in the midfield and consider myself to have a high standard of fitness.

Post xmas you could look at upping the ante, as will i and try to build more fitness and look at doing some intervals on 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1 km, with increased rest time.

http://www.cutandjacked.com/HIIT-8-Week-Cardio-Interval-Training-Progression

Something as easy a, sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds and repeat as many times as you can (between 10-20 mins). Once you build up and your find the 20 seconds "easy" you can up to 30 seconds on 30 seconds off. You can do this 2 times a week to start of and build up to 3 times a week, and i would suggest doing one of these sessions with hill sprints, 10-15 seconds for fill sprint and 45-50 seconds rest as hill sprints are a lot more taxing than sprinting on a flat surface. Try to incorporate these sprint sessions on a leg day so you don't over train your legs every day.

My current running program;

Week 1 and 2: 20 seconds sprint 40 seconds walk for 9 mins Mon Thurs
: Saturday is hill sprints approx 15 seconds each x 10
Week 3 and 4: 30 seconds sprint 30 seconds walk for 12 mins Mon Thursday
: Saturday is hill sprints approx 20 seconds each x 12
Week 5 and 6: 20 seconds sprint 20 seconds walk 20 seconds sprint Mon Thurs
: Saturday is hill sprints approx 25 seconds each x 15

Monday and Thursday are am sessions before work. Saturday is after my full body work out at the gym. In the gym, i train lower body Monday, Upper body Tuesday and Thursday Full body all in the evening.

Wednesday's i will either have footy training for about 1.5 hours or go for a 45min-1 hour walk.

I'm 5'10 and 86-88kg, play in the midfield and consider myself to have a high standard of fitness.

Post xmas you could look at upping the ante, as will i and try to build more fitness and look at doing some intervals on 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1 km, with increased rest time.

hill sprints are far easier on the body then flat sprints...i'd start with hills and progress to flats...and instead of increasing sprinting time, decrease rest time because the further you sprint the less intensive it is...and really you should do those longer intervals first as they will make the shorter intervals way more effective

hill sprints are far easier on the body then flat sprints...i'd start with hills and progress to flats...and instead of increasing sprinting time, decrease rest time because the further you sprint the less intensive it is...and really you should do those longer intervals first as they will make the shorter intervals way more effective

thanks for the replies :)

Yeah i like to mix up how i train in regards to cardio and HIIT as i will get bored doing the same over and over again. I suppose i am doing shorter bursts at the moment because it suits my lifestyle. And definitely agree when doing HIIT i wouldn't recommend anything more than 30 seconds top and only for someone starting off on a good base, for a newbie 10-20 seconds would be better.

I will be utilising my two weeks holidays over xmas to incorporate some larger intervals. What intervals/rest times would you recommend say between 200m-1km?

1:2 work:rest ratio working down to 1:1

Cheers, my motto is "rest for as long as your work" I will use xmas holidays and the first 3 weeks of January before footy training starts up again to ramp up my running.

hey kirky looking to get your take on a program provided to me for intervals from a coach on a competing team for our National squad.

6x25m/50m/75m with 10/15/20s of rest, and a week later doing the same intervals w/ 5s/10/15 of rest instead, then bumping up 2 intervals with same sets of rest etc....

Sessions are demanding but I feel like if i had a few minutes of rest afterwards I could go again. They tend to be over in under 10 minutes.

looks to be for repeated speed but with some lactate work too with the shortish rest which means you don't train to fatigue cos when you're tired, you're not fast....progression is sound too

i had a "4km" time trial turned out to be 3.66 km after i measured on map my run. I ran it in 15:04 which i was happy with considering my running has consisted of only 3 x 10-12 min sessions a week for 4 weeks. Which i worked out 4:06 min/km and avg pace of 14.57 km per hour which when comparing similar distance runs to this time last year i am about .5 - 1 km/hr faster.

Swimming isn't really a high intensity sport but to get my heart rate up I generally do 10x 50m races at 100% with 30 seconds rest in between races. I average about 30 seconds for Freestyle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump.
I'd like to start doing HIIT but don't have enough time to go somewhere and do sprints or climb up hills.
I'd like to do something at home for convenience.
Can anybody suggest some exercises for a beginner?
Or do you think following what's in this video would be good enough?

Cheers

Bump.
I'd like to start doing HIIT but don't have enough time to go somewhere and do sprints or climb up hills.
I'd like to do something at home for convenience.
Can anybody suggest some exercises for a beginner?
Or do you think following what's in this video would be good enough?

Cheers

I just got an exercise by Bear Grylls that has 10,20,30 minute high intensity workouts mainly with kettlebells and simple bodyweight exercises. I was skeptical at first, but after my first session I nearly vomited and couldn't walk properly for a day or two. I would consider myself to be fairly fit also.
Anyway, the book is called Your Life: Train for it. It's really good for beginners and you can make it as hard as you want, just need a kettlebell. I've been doing it about 6 weeks and have seen huge benefits in fitness and more importantly for my aging body, flexibility.
All done from home.

I just got an exercise by Bear Grylls that has 10,20,30 minute high intensity workouts mainly with kettlebells and simple bodyweight exercises. I was skeptical at first, but after my first session I nearly vomited and couldn't walk properly for a day or two. I would consider myself to be fairly fit also.
Anyway, the book is called Your Life: Train for it. It's really good for beginners and you can make it as hard as you want, just need a kettlebell. I've been doing it about 6 weeks and have seen huge benefits in fitness and more importantly for my aging body, flexibility.
All done from home.
Beautiful, thanks mate.

Starting to experiment with HIIT. It feels bloody amazing by the way.

Treadmill Running:
1 minute on/1 minute off. Speed 16km on/10km off. Total 20 minutes.
Have done this twice this week and totally wrecked me, when I can usually do a solid 5minute km for a 10-12km jog around Princes Park or Carlton Gardens.

Weights/etc (Basically an Every Minute On the Minute) Not sure if this counts
15 Chin ups
12 x Squat + lift shoulders up in the air (not sure what it's called) with 12kg dumbells
20 pushups.

So the faster I did the reps the more rest time I had before the next. Did three lots of the above before moving to this:
20 x bicep curls (14kgs dumbells, alternating)
20 x lunges (holding both 14kg dumbells)
20 x push ups

Did that 3x, but the exercises took longer so I allowed 90 seconds.

That was my entire workout today (treadmill + those two EMOM style).

I'm going to try variations of this for the next month and see if I see any gains.

Tone is a complete wank of a word when it comes to fitness

You build muscle you don’t tone it, lowering bodyfat will enable you to better see the definition between muscles

Tone is a complete wank of a word when it comes to fitness

You build muscle you don’t tone it, lowering bodyfat will enable you to better see the definition between muscles
It’s not really a wank word - it just refers muscle being more visible.

As you said it’s the combo of building muscle and losing fat, nothing really wrong with that.

How are you tracking fitness tone and weight loss?
With fitness - it's progress on what I can do from number of sprints and how fast the sprints are.

Weight loss is obvious - although if I'm adding muscle while losing fat I could possibly increase weight and tone at the same time. My aim isn't really to lower the number on the scales.

Absolutely loving how good I feel after one of these workouts - but wondering if I'm doing it to it's optimum (let's face it - the aim of HIIT is to get as much benefit as possible out of time).

I'm doing a treadmill version so I can control speeds objectively and am doing 1 minute hard (16km/h) / 1 minute easy (10km/h).

What makes it more or less beneficial? For example, would I improve my fitness and burn fat better if I was doing 30 seconds on 30 seconds off?
Obviously if I did 1 minute on, 30 seconds off that would be better, but if it's a 1:1 ratio does it matter whether the time is 30, 60 or 90 seconds?

It’s not really a wank word - it just refers muscle being more visible.

As you said it’s the combo of building muscle and losing fat, nothing really wrong with that.

Nothing wrong at all, but I don’t agree with using the word tone as a way of describing weight loss, an appearance/look to achieve

Remove this Banner Ad

Back